My second encounter with the AFP

Old January 19th 11, 02:48 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Steve Ball[_3_]

Default My second encounter with the AFP

John Tserkezis:

Steve Ball wrote:

Out of interest, why ride on a busy road when there's a cycleway adjacent?

Depending on the circumstances, I could be cruising at 40Km/h. If the
road let's me maintain that, then it would be acceptable, as it's not
too far a difference from the 50-60Km/h limit on the road.

The path on the other hand, means obstructions, like bollards, turns,
pedestrians unsupervised three year olds running across the path - you
get the idea.

Legal on both as it turns out, but more sensible on the road.

Understood. However, the piece of road in question has, I think, a 70 kph
limit, and only one or two T-junctions in several kilometres. There's
literally nowhere to walk from and to and, if I went and rode there now, I'd
be surprised to find anyone - anything, for that matter.

I just checked out Google street view and the bike path is narrow and a bit
fiddly at the northern end of Qantas Drive and would definitely slow you
down. It'd even slow me down. ;-)

However, this is a really busy piece of road (the road's chocka in the
Google photos, the bike path's totally empty) and, though I often ride on
the road (and am militant about taking the whole lane where I think it's not
wide enough for me and a truck), I think I'd probably ride on the bike path
here. I'm interested in Geoff's reasons.
--
Steve = : ^ )

Old January 19th 11, 04:33 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

On 19/01/2011 11:42 AM, Steve Ball wrote:
Geoff Lock:

Some weeks ago, I posted my experience with the Australian Federal
Police whilst riding along Qantas Drive at Kingsford_Smith Airport.

Out of interest, why ride on a busy road when there's a cycleway adjacent?

I ride on the road for precisely the reason John Tserkezis mentioned - I
can get better speeds, for longer, on the road. My cadence is usually
around 90-100.

Old January 19th 11, 08:59 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Wed, 19 Jan 2011 11:42:28 +1100
Steve Ball wrote:
Geoff Lock:

Some weeks ago, I posted my experience with the Australian Federal
Police whilst riding along Qantas Drive at Kingsford_Smith Airport.

To save everybody digging thru the archives, that time, the AFP guys
indicated (from inside their vehicle) that I should be using the
cycleway adjacent to the road instead of being in the middle of the road
itself. As they did not appear to press the issue, I continued riding in
the middle of the lane at that time.

Out of interest, why ride on a busy road when there's a cycleway adjacent?

That particular one has a small section you can do a reasonable speed
on, then darts off well away from the road, faffs about, then comes to
a complete halt.

Zebee
Old January 19th 11, 09:04 AM posted to aus.bicycle
John Tserkezis

Steve Ball wrote:

Legal on both as it turns out, but more sensible on the road.

snip
. I'm interested in Geoff's reasons.

The legals here are clear. If there is a "bicycle lane", as in the
definition of a Bicycle Lane as far as ARRs (*) go, then a bicycle MUST
use that bicycle lane.

(*) As defined, it is a lane designed for bicycles, and has a
rectangular sign, showing an image of a bicycle with the word "Lane"
underneath. Signs should be placed at the start and end of said lane as
required.

Google earth won't show signs like that, unless you get lucky and find
a streetview image of one.
--
Mother is the invention of necessity.
Old January 19th 11, 11:11 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC[_2_]

On 2011-01-18, John Tserkezis (aka Bruce)
Behaviour in Sydney needs to be modified though:
There are never any hook turns anyway, so you *should* make only
regular turns.
Drivers have never seen them before, don't know what they look like,
and more importantly, they'll never know to avoid you if you're stupid
enough to try it.

If you live in Melbourne however, things are different:
You have my condolences. That is all. :-)

They come in handy. Some intersections where you know the light
cycle, you may know that since there's a red arrow right now, the
right arrow comes after the other direction get a go first. So do a
hook turn, and you get to go earlier. Before all the suckers in a
cage.

Also, they come in handy over tram tracks because you don't have to
take your hands off the handlebars to indicate right while tackling
the tracks at an acute angle.

--
TimC
"I wish there was a knob on the TV to turn up the intelligence. There's a
Old January 19th 11, 11:16 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC[_2_]

On 2011-01-19, John Tserkezis (aka Bruce)
Steve Ball wrote:

Legal on both as it turns out, but more sensible on the road.

snip
. I'm interested in Geoff's reasons.

The legals here are clear. If there is a "bicycle lane", as in the
definition of a Bicycle Lane as far as ARRs (*) go, then a bicycle MUST
use that bicycle lane.

(*) As defined, it is a lane designed for bicycles, and has a
rectangular sign, showing an image of a bicycle with the word "Lane"
underneath. Signs should be placed at the start and end of said lane as
required.

Google earth won't show signs like that, unless you get lucky and find
a streetview image of one.

But if it's not attached to the road, then it's not a bicycle lane
that you are mandated to use by those regulations.

Heck, there's a sign around the corner from me attempting to ban me
from using the main road, instead directing me to use a windy narrow
poorly maintained footpath the wanders across intersections and
doesn't let me off at the intersection I want to get off at. I don't
use it, preferring to mix with the B-doubles instead. They tend to
stay behind me because the limit is 50km/h and I'm doing 40km/h.

I am not aware of a law that allows the council to ban a specific
class of vehicle on an RTA highway.

--
TimC
I bet the human brain is a kludge.
Old January 19th 11, 11:11 PM posted to aus.bicycle
thefathippy

On Jan 18, 7:49*pm, John Tserkezis
wrote:
Ken & Stace wrote:
I would complain if the speed limit was 80KMH and the truck is sitting on 30
and there was room for me to get past if the truck just moved over a bit.

Old January 19th 11, 11:56 PM posted to aus.bicycle
AFP

Default My second encounter with Geoff Lock

We're very sorry Mr Lock, and we promise to remove the RFID chip from your carppy old
bike, AS LONG AS YOU GET OFF THE FREAKIN' ROAD.

Constable Ted Barrs.

Old January 20th 11, 02:21 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Dave Hughes

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 17:15:21 +0800, Theo Bekkers wrote:

I believe it is actually illegal to pass someone without fully getting
out of their lane, unless, of course, you, the passer, is also on a
bicycle.

I can't be arsed looking up the exact words, but it's something along the
lines of "sufficient space" when you're passing on the right. On the left
requires a marked lane. Unfortunately "sufficient space" tends to get
interpreted as "I can squeeze through there because he'll flinch left",
rather than "I'll leave sufficent space to avoid a collision if either of
us swerve a bit due to random".

--
Dave Hughes -
Random miscellany, as opposed to that other kind of miscellany

Old January 20th 11, 05:01 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

On 20/01/2011 9:56 AM, AFP wrote:

We're very sorry Mr Lock, and we promise to remove the RFID chip from
your carppy old bike, AS LONG AS YOU GET OFF THE FREAKIN' ROAD.

Constable Ted Barrs.

Dear AFP,

I was rather alarmed to hear that you have attached an RFID chip to my
bike and I immediately checked my bike to ensure that the RFID chip is
still in good order and condition as it is paid for by the taxpayer.

Unfortunately, I regret to inform you that my bike is so ****ty that
whatever bit on my bike that you have attached your RFID chip appears to
have fallen off!

Could you please pull me over again at a time of your convenience to
re-attach another RFID chip? I will be the cyclist with 2x Hi-vis vests
cos it is difficult to carry a newspaper under my arm whilst pedalling
my bike. Also, the raincoat is not a good idea becos it flaps around and
gets caught in the chainrings when I am cycling. Same place, same time
of day, ok?

Until then, I am simply not able to comply with your directions to get
off the road. You'll just have to go get ... eeerrr... go get ....
eeerrr.. go get {crow noises a la Graeme(?) Kennedy}.

Ensuring you of my continuing appreciation for the fine work you have
been doing, I remain,

Your devoted and humble servant,

G Lock
(bringing peace and harmony to the world via the 9x19)

P.S. You guys should really get some double stacked mags, instead of
those ****y 10-round **** you use.

I just survived an encounter... G.T. Mountain Biking 8 April 23rd 06 09:08 PM
Close Encounter Gags Australia 2 March 31st 06 12:35 PM
Encounter with a inebriated man oldfatboy Unicycling 4 November 4th 05 12:00 AM
Encounter with an Idiot Simonb UK 0 May 2nd 05 10:23 PM
Pleasant encounter with a car Richard Sherratt Australia 4 October 17th 04 11:48 AM