Biker's Diet

Old July 14th 06, 02:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Starr

Default Biker's Diet

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 04:43:32 GMT, "trino"
wrote:

Well, I will if everyone cuts out the part of the previous post that is not
being responded to.
You can do a snippet which I do and I make everything short so there are no
complaints.
That is in the rules too which you do not follow. Why do you want to look
at the same message 20 times. Just cut it out we already know the subject.
Waste of space. waste of time.

"Jeff Starr" wrote in message
.. .

Hi, seeing as it appears that you are planning on posting here
regularly, could you please stop top posting?
Take a look at how the majority of regulars post and try to follow
that format. It makes it easier for all of us using newsreaders.

Thank you,
Jeff

I'll try once more, I'm not talking about snipping posts. Sure, cut
the parts of the previous post, that you are not responding to.

I just asked you nicely, to follow normal protocol and post below
that which you are replying to.

Please don't take offense, top posting just makes it harder to follow
a thread. Many of us use newsreaders and delete posts after reading.
If you simply leave what you are replying to, and then place that
reply below, it makes it very easy to follow.

Thank you,
Jeff
Old July 14th 06, 10:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Andrew Price wrote:
On 13 Jul 2006 13:47:45 -0700, wrote:

an exercise plan that doesn't encourage voraciousness

How does that work?

Easy. Keep the intensity down. I find that I am only hungry after a
hard ride.

In other words, less exercise?

Yes. Low intensity burns some fat and some carbos. Higher intensity
burns a bit more fat, and a lot more carbos. A hard ride will burn more
fat (and more carbos) than an easy ride but if it comes at the expense
of being ravenously hungry such that you end up eating more than you
burned, it is not worth it from a weight loss view point.

When I take an easy ride I am no more hungry than if I did no exercise
at all. This makes it easy to stick to my daily intake. A hard ride,
even a short one, makes me hungry and I have to eat more because I have
burned many more calories. But how much more should I eat? How many
more calories did I burn from going hard? Who knows? That unknown extra
need is very hard to judge, and often I belive that is where people who
are overweight who begin exercising make an error in judgement. We
already know that overweight people are not capable of accurately
judging their calorie needs, so why encourage them to do something
which makes that a problem?

Joseph

Old July 14th 06, 11:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
dvt

ackfugue wrote:
So, then I started doing the same, and as hard as I ride, and as far as
I ride, it has done NOTHING to change my weight, and I am getting,
frankly, quite depressed. No pain, no gain? Well, I have done the
pain and showed little gain, except a fatter ass. I'm going out, riding
at least 200 miles a week with no results.

Sounds like you're getting plenty of exercise to lose weight.

I rode 100 miles this past Saturday, and when I got home, I lost about
4 or 5 lbs. I was just shy over 190. Then, I weigh myself today, and
I am just under 200. What the HECK is going on?? I'm wondering if
most of that is water gain. I mean, I felt like I couldn't get enough
to drink the past few days, and with all the liquid I am drinking,
you'd think I would be ****ing like Niagara Falls. Nope.. Just a
tinkle here and a tinkle there. So, my body must be absorbing it like
a sponge and storing it all up.

This paragraph screams *dehydration.* Drink more water before, during,
and immediately after your rides. Your performance should improve.
There's about 8.3 pounds in a gallon of water, so losing 5 pounds means
you're more than 2 quarts low.

The odd thing is, with all the cycling I have been doing lately I can't
sit down and eat a large meal. What I used to pack away before, I can
no longer do. Value meals, etc. Whatever - I eat about half of it and
I throw the rest away because I feel full. But, even though I am
eating half the portion that I used to, I am NOT losing weight.

That paragraph doesn't make much sense. You eat less, exercise more, but
your weight stays the same? I have to admit a high degree of skepticism.
However, if a "value meal" is from a fast food joint, that might be part
of your problem.

Is water gain a real issue, and
does it affect how my body breaks down solids?

I am not a doctor, but here's something I've read about, although I
can't recall the source. I couldn't find a source after searching the
web for a while. Hopefully someone can help me out with a reference.

Dehydration makes the kidney work harder. When it is overloaded, the
liver has to do extra work. And the liver's capacity to do its "normal"
work is reduced. What is one of the liver's "normal" jobs? Processing
fat. So while dehydrated, you may be losing your ability to turn fat
into energy, and any excess fat gets stored rather than processed.

Just after I read the above (simplified for laymen like me) information,
I met a man who had lost a bunch of weight. He said the only life change
he made was to replace diet soda with water. He had been drinking diet
soda almost exclusively, which left him less hydrated due to caffeine.
Changing to water probably helped him stay hydrated, which allowed the
liver to function normally, and he lost weight.

performance, and it might just help you drop some weight.

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu

Everyone confesses that exertion which brings out all the powers of body
and mind is the best thing for us; but most people do all they can to
get rid of it, and as a general rule nobody does much more than
circumstances drive them to do. -Harriet Beecher Stowe, abolitionist and
novelist (1811-1896)