Mountain Biking FAQ

Old July 29th 06, 07:30 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Sohn

Default Mountain Biking FAQ

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
Frequently Asked Questions about Mountain Biking

snip

I have a question that isn't listed in your FAQs. My son was given a older
Specialized Hardrock 21 speed mountain bike. Both tires need replacing. The
bike has low miles and is weathered due to being stored outdoors. The bike
will be mainly ridden on paved roads and occasionally on gravel roads. It
will be ridden up to 50 miles a day on paved and gravel roads. What type of
replacement tire do you recommend? I'm thinking about a hybrid tire or road
pattern tire. What do you recommend? I'm looking for something reasonable
priced. Can a person buy decent quality tires and tubes on Ebay?

Thanks!

Old July 29th 06, 07:37 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Sohn

"Sohn" wrote in message

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
Frequently Asked Questions about Mountain Biking

snip

I have a question that isn't listed in your FAQs. My son was given a older
Specialized Hardrock 21 speed mountain bike. Both tires need replacing.
The bike has low miles and is weathered due to being stored outdoors.
The bike will be mainly ridden on paved roads and occasionally on gravel
roads. It will be ridden up to 50 miles a day on paved and gravel roads.
What type of replacement tire do you recommend? I'm thinking about a
hybrid tire or road pattern tire. What do you recommend? I'm looking for
something reasonable priced. Can a person buy decent quality tires and
tubes on Ebay?

Thanks!

The bike came with Schrader Valve style tubes. Can I use Presta Valves tubes
instead of Schrader Valve tubes?
Thanks again!

Old July 29th 06, 08:31 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 14:30:07 -0400, "Sohn" wrote:

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
.. .
Frequently Asked Questions about Mountain Biking

snip

I have a question that isn't listed in your FAQs. My son was given a older
Specialized Hardrock 21 speed mountain bike. Both tires need replacing. The
bike has low miles and is weathered due to being stored outdoors. The bike
will be mainly ridden on paved roads and occasionally on gravel roads. It
will be ridden up to 50 miles a day on paved and gravel roads. What type of
replacement tire do you recommend?

Road tires, obviously. Mountain bike tires have too much rolling
resistance and will slow him down considerably.

I'm thinking about a hybrid tire or road
pattern tire. What do you recommend? I'm looking for something reasonable
priced. Can a person buy decent quality tires and tubes on Ebay?

Thanks!

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old July 30th 06, 03:02 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Sohn

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 14:30:07 -0400, "Sohn" wrote:

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
. ..
Frequently Asked Questions about Mountain Biking

snip

I have a question that isn't listed in your FAQs. My son was given a older
Specialized Hardrock 21 speed mountain bike. Both tires need replacing.
The
bike has low miles and is weathered due to being stored outdoors. The
bike
will be mainly ridden on paved roads and occasionally on gravel roads. It
will be ridden up to 50 miles a day on paved and gravel roads. What type
of
replacement tire do you recommend?

Road tires, obviously. Mountain bike tires have too much rolling
resistance and will slow him down considerably.

What type of tire pattern?

I'm thinking about a hybrid tire or road
pattern tire. What do you recommend? I'm looking for something
reasonable
priced. Can a person buy decent quality tires and tubes on Ebay?

Thanks!

What's your opinion about changing the large crank cog (sprocket)? Would a
larger diameter (more teeth) cog help increase speed? Have you done this
and how did it turn out? The terrain where we ride is relatively
flat.
Thanks!

Old July 31st 06, 02:17 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Chris Foster

"Sohn" wrote in :

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 14:30:07 -0400, "Sohn" wrote:

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
Frequently Asked Questions about Mountain Biking
snip

I have a question that isn't listed in your FAQs. My son was given a
older Specialized Hardrock 21 speed mountain bike. Both tires need
replacing. The
bike has low miles and is weathered due to being stored outdoors.
The bike
will be mainly ridden on paved roads and occasionally on gravel
roads. It will be ridden up to 50 miles a day on paved and gravel
roads. What type of
replacement tire do you recommend?

Road tires, obviously. Mountain bike tires have too much rolling
resistance and will slow him down considerably.

What type of tire pattern?

He is messing with you. Raod ties are 700c, mountain bike tires are 26
inch. You cannot put road tires on a mountain bike wheel. You can get
'slicks' for the mountain bike. Little tread in the center, and
'knobbies' on the sides. Put 80 lbs of preasure in them, goog to go on
the road.

Old August 5th 06, 08:45 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 22:02:06 -0400, "Sohn" wrote:

[...]

Smooth is best for road use.

I'm thinking about a hybrid tire or road
pattern tire. What do you recommend? I'm looking for something
reasonable
priced. Can a person buy decent quality tires and tubes on Ebay?

Thanks!

What's your opinion about changing the large crank cog (sprocket)? Would a
larger diameter (more teeth) cog help increase speed? Have you done this
and how did it turn out? The terrain where we ride is relatively
flat.

I have a 3-speed bike and only use one speed: 3 (high). Any other
questions?
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old August 5th 06, 11:16 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Sohn

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 22:02:06 -0400, "Sohn" wrote:

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
. ..
On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 14:30:07 -0400, "Sohn" wrote:

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
m...
[...]

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
Would these be better street tires because they can be inflated to 100 psi
than a tire which can be inflated to only 60 psi?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ype=osi_widget

What is a gumwall tire? Will a gumwall tire last as long an all black
tire?

Which do you prefer Schrader or Presta Valve tubes?