bringing a bike on a plane

Old March 31st 05, 08:21 PM
The Wogster

Leo Lichtman wrote:
"NFN Smith" wrote: (clip) I know that UPS Stores have a preference of doing
the packing themselves, especially if you're insuring.(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I used to work for a company that shipped large numbers of packages by UPS.
Whenever there was damage, their automatic reaction was: "It's not our
fault. The packaging was inadequate." We usually won the argument, but had
to fight them over each one.

Usually when something is broken while travelling, it is the fault of
the packaging, I work for a courier company (not UPS), and if you know
how the process of high volume small package movement works, you see why
things sometimes get damaged. There are 3 kinds of damage, shock,
either from falling or bumping against something else, puncture damage,
where something punctures the packaging,either from the outside or
inside. Third we have crush damage, where something heavy is placed on
top, and crushes the package. Sufficient packaging is designed to
compensate for all three issues, in fact over compensate. If you think
it's sufficient then it probably isn't, if you think there is no
possible way it can get damaged, then your getting close. Buy
insurance, make sure you pack it so that it doesn't need it....

A hint, put a sheet with the name, address phone number and email
address of the shipper and receiver inside the box, include the waybill
number if you know it. If the waybill gets damaged or falls off, they
will open the box, find your piece of paper, and after resealing it,
will send it on it's way....... If they have the original waybill
number, they can reference it for tracking purposes....