rans stratus bottom bracket dimension?

Old September 20th 08, 04:13 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
patrick

Default rans stratus bottom bracket dimension?

I have a rans stratus- circa late 80's, has a bottom bracket with a
spindle and loose bearings. Not a cartridge bottom bracket (though
that really doesn't change the basic question) and have been using a
122mm length spindle (3ss spindle) . I bought the bike used and in
changing out the spindle due to brinelling, found the chain line a bit
askew. Not that it matters a huge lot with a long wheel based bike but
it got me to wondering what was the length of the spindle as
originally sold.Looks like I could go with a 118 or even a bit less
(if I can find a spindle that size).

Thanks Pat
Old September 21st 08, 03:22 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
patrick

On Sep 20, 8:13 am, patrick wrote:
I have a rans stratus- circa late 80's, has a bottom bracket with a
spindle and loose bearings. Not a cartridge bottom bracket (though
that really doesn't change the basic question) and have been using a
122mm length spindle (3ss spindle) . I bought the bike used and in
changing out the spindle due to brinelling, found the chain line a bit
askew. Not that it matters a huge lot with a long wheel based bike but
it got me to wondering what was the length of the spindle as
originally sold.Looks like I could go with a 118 or even a bit less
(if I can find a spindle that size).

Thanks Pat

I should have added that the bike came with a sakae fx slp crankset of
which I can find no relevant info by digging on the net. Pat
Old September 21st 08, 03:48 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom Sherman[_2_]

patrick wrote:
I have a [RANS] stratus- circa late 80's, has a bottom bracket with a
spindle and loose bearings. Not a cartridge bottom bracket (though
that really doesn't change the basic question) and have been using a
122mm length spindle (3ss spindle) . I bought the bike used and in
changing out the spindle due to brinelling, found the chain line a bit
askew. Not that it matters a huge lot with a long wheel based bike but
it got me to wondering what was the length of the spindle as
originally sold.Looks like I could go with a 118 or even a bit less
(if I can find a spindle that size).

Did you try contacting RANS - back in the day they used to answer such
questions?

On a technical note, the damage to the bottom bracket bearings was most
likely due to corrosion and/or fretting of the cup and cone surfaces.
Any force great enough to produce true brinelling would likely destroy
the frame, unless the old bottom bracket was made from pot metal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_brinelling

“Twisting may help if yawl can chew gum and walk.” - gene daniels
Old September 21st 08, 09:14 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
patrick

Did you try contacting RANS - back in the day they used to answer such
questions?

On a technical note, the damage to the bottom bracket bearings was most
likely due to corrosion and/or fretting of the cup and cone surfaces.
Any force great enough to produce true brinelling would likely destroy
the frame, unless the old bottom bracket was made from pot metal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_brinelling

“Twisting may help if yawl can chew gum and walk.” - gene daniels

Hello Tom; Yep, I did shoot rans an email- no reply thus far. Thanks
for the nomenclature clarification. Pat
Old September 24th 08, 12:30 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

On Sep 21, 4:14 pm, patrick wrote:
Did you try contacting RANS - back in the day they used to answer such
questions?

On a technical note, the damage to the bottom bracket bearings was most
likely due to corrosion and/or fretting of the cup and cone surfaces.
Any force great enough to produce true brinelling would likely destroy
the frame, unless the old bottom bracket was made from pot metal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_brinelling

“Twisting may help if yawl can chew gum and walk.” - gene daniels

Hello Tom; Yep, I did shoot rans an email- no reply thus far. Thanks
for the nomenclature clarification. Pat

One trick I saw a guy do a few years ago and it worked fine was to use
piece of hardwood in place of a tensioning chain gear. Once worn in a
bit
it lasted a long time and did a good job even though it didn't turn.
See if I can find a picture.