Cricket helmets may slow the brain, says study (D. Telegraph, 15.4.2004)

Old April 15th 04, 07:58 AM
Scott Leckey

Default Cricket helmets may slow the brain, says study (D. Telegraph, 15.4.2004)

Cricket helmets may slow the brain, says study
By Celia Hall, Medical Editor
(Filed: 15/04/2004)

Keeping a cool head may have real advantages for batsmen at the crease,
according to new research among cricketers.

This found a measurable improvement in reaction times and vigilance when
they did not wear protective helmets.

Researchers believe that the difference in performance may be linked to an
overheating of the brain in players batting in helmets - possibly similar to
the effects on people over-using mobile phones.

Dr Nick Neave, of the human cognitive neuroscience unit at Northumbria
University, Newcastle upon Tyne, said his study showed that "in young
adults, in a mild climate, some aspects of cognition are affected by wearing
a non-vented protective helmet following exercise".

Dr Neave and his colleagues now want to test their results with adult
cricketers to see if experience overrides the slight detrimental effect of
wearing a helmet.

He speculates that New Zealand cricketers who wear vented helmets and keep
cool heads may have some advantage. The researchers plan tests that will
compare vented with non-vented helmets in windy and still conditions.

Dr Neave will tell the annual conference of the British Psychological
Society, which opens in London today, that his team tested 16 cricketers,
aged 13 to 17, who were members of Durham County Cricket Club.

The boys - half wearing standard helmets - batted in the nets with a bowling
machine and underwent a computer test for mental abilities, including
vigilance, reaction times and attentiveness.

The study showed that getting hot alone had no effect on the physical
abilities of the young cricketers or on their mental abilities to perform
very simple mental tasks.

But when they were asked to perform more complex tasks, involving making
choices, their reaction times fell. One measurement showed a 16 millisecond
deficit in helmet-wearing boys.

However, Dr Neave stressed: "We want to emphasise that cricketers should not
disregard safety. Getting run out may be preferable to brain damage."

Old April 15th 04, 10:48 AM
Dave Kahn

"Scott Leckey" wrote in message ...

However, Dr Neave stressed: "We want to emphasise that cricketers should not
disregard safety. Getting run out may be preferable to brain damage."

Clearly not a member of the Brian Close school. :-)

--
Dave...
Old April 15th 04, 12:17 PM
Malcolm Stewart

"Scott Leckey" wrote in message
Cricket helmets may slow the brain, says study
By Celia Hall, Medical Editor
(Filed: 15/04/2004)
Keeping a cool head may have real advantages for batsmen at the crease,
according to new research among cricketers.

snip
But when they were asked to perform more complex tasks, involving making
choices, their reaction times fell. One measurement showed a 16 millisecond
deficit in helmet-wearing boys.

Quote from above "their reaction times fell"
Sounds to me exactly what I would want if I was at the crease - or is this not
quite what the writer was trying to say?
Perhaps he meant to write "speed" instead of "times"?

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Old April 15th 04, 05:45 PM
Iain Jones

"Scott Leckey" wrote in
:

Cricket helmets may slow the brain, says study
By Celia Hall, Medical Editor
(Filed: 15/04/2004)

Keeping a cool head may have real advantages for batsmen at the
crease, according to new research among cricketers.

This found a measurable improvement in reaction times and vigilance
when they did not wear protective helmets.

Researchers believe that the difference in performance may be linked
to an overheating of the brain in players batting in helmets -
possibly similar to the effects on people over-using mobile phones.

You'll have to forgive me for not knowing owt about cricket, but...

Isn't there a difference though - cyclists, through moving, have a cooling
breeze across their head all the time, and don't cycle helmets have more
vents? But then I suppose cycling is/can be more strenuous than cricket so
generates more body heat. Interesting, though.

Iain
Old April 15th 04, 06:24 PM
James Hodson

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 07:58:01 +0100, "Scott Leckey"
wrote:

Cricket helmets may slow the brain, says study
By Celia Hall, Medical Editor
(Filed: 15/04/2004)

I'm sure there was something I wanted to say at this point but I've
forgotten what it was :-)))

James
Old April 16th 04, 11:49 PM
Sue

In message , James Hodson
writes

Cricket helmets may slow the brain, says study

I'm sure there was something I wanted to say at this point but I've
forgotten what it was :-)))

Sounds as if your brain's too fast for your newsreader - have you tried
wearing a h*lmet?

And has anyone studied the effect of helmet use on complex tasks like
this one:
http://www.fjallbrynt.nu/mountainclimber/game.asp?sound=0
--
Sue ];(
Old April 17th 04, 08:57 PM
James Hodson

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 23:49:01 +0100, Sue
wrote:

In message , James Hodson
writes

Cricket helmets may slow the brain, says study

I'm sure there was something I wanted to say at this point but I've
forgotten what it was :-)))

Sounds as if your brain's too fast for your newsreader - have you tried
wearing a h*lmet?

In truth, my brain is too fast for my mouth. I often know exactly what
I wish to say but my mouth is sometimes unable to deal with the info
sent to it.

FWIW, 02/05/2004 will be the 15th anniversary of my bang on the
bonce.Tempus certainly fugits.

And has anyone studied the effect of helmet use on complex tasks like
this one:
http://www.fjallbrynt.nu/mountainclimber/game.asp?sound=0

Not sure about the brain but my fingers were definitely too slow for
that.

James
Old April 17th 04, 08:57 PM
James Hodson

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 23:49:01 +0100, Sue
wrote:

In message , James Hodson
writes

Gels vs Gatorade Ken Techniques 145 August 3rd 04 06:56 PM
Convincing people to use helmets Oliver Keating UK 391 February 25th 04 11:50 AM
Helmets on GMTV [Not Responding] UK 33 January 16th 04 10:55 PM