Help mounting Suntour Power thumbshifters to road bars

Old August 7th 04, 01:33 PM
Andy M-S

Default Help mounting Suntour Power thumbshifters to road bars

Steve-o wrote in message ...
Hi,

I want to mount Suntour Power Ratchet thumb shifiters to road bike
bars, but of course the band that goes around the bar is too small
(22.2).

The Big Question:
Did Suntour make any item that mounted to road bike bars utilizing a
similar band in road bike diameter? If so, I would hope to swap bands
and be in business.

Picture of the problem here, for visual-type people like me:
http://tinyurl.com/3nynm

Since this one is marked 22.2, there *should* be a different version
marked 23.5. If there isn't a different version, why label the first
one? E.g., WWI wasn't called WWI until there was a WWII.

But I digress.

I've tried bands from various Dia Compe, Shimano, and Modolo brake
levers I have on hand, to no avail. A Dia Compe brake lever band
marked 22 fit into the shifter housing, but was actually too big on
the bar and wouldn't get tight enough to hold the bar.

Any help appreciated,
Steve

You're in luck--sort of. Suntour made two varieties of roadbike
Command Shifters. One variety used a clamp almost exactly like the
one you show. They're a little hard to find, but they ARE out there.

Old August 9th 04, 05:35 PM

Steve-o wrote in message
why not make your own: you don't need more than tinsnips, a drill and a
small file.

Not a bad idea, but I've never been able to cut straight. Anyone have
an idea where I might find strips of steel (stainless?) ~.5mm thick
and .5" wide?

If you are using a blank piece of sheet metal...

Get a piece of sheet metal from a hardware store or hobby shop. Deeply
score the surface with something pointy like a scratch awl using a
metal ruler as a guide. Bend back and forth along the line until it
separates. File down the burrs. Use a drill to make the holes you
need.

You might also consider adapting a pipe clamp as they come in all
different sizes.

Or better, get bar-end shifters. Some models have selectable "index"
and friction mode. Just be careful about wacking the lever at an
inconvienent moment when off-roading or whatever it you are doing.