DuPage county plans 31 mile trail

Old March 15th 05, 02:12 PM
Ken Marcet

Default DuPage county plans 31 mile trail

WOW! Thats a really big trail. I don't know much about the area, but 31
miles is larger than anything I know about down here.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...ck=1&cset=true

Ken
--
More of my mind dribblings: http://mind-dribble.blogspot.com/
And my homepage: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

Old March 15th 05, 04:42 PM
John Everett

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 08:12:36 -0500, "Ken Marcet"
wrote:

WOW! Thats a really big trail. I don't know much about the area, but 31
miles is larger than anything I know about down here.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...ck=1&cset=true

Unfortunately the Chicago Tribune site is by subscription only, so I'm
guessing most of us won't get to read the article.

I don't know where "down here" is, but as a resident of Du Page county
(and member of the Naperville Bike Club), I'll believe it when I see
it! Talk is cheap in politics. The local pols have been talking about
linking one Du Page county trail or another to the Virgil Gilman trail
in Kane County for years. Even though the gap between the end of the
Wabonsie Creek Trail and the Gilman is about a half mile or so, it
still takes a detour of about a mile and a half on a busy road with no
shoulders to get from one to the other.

Bicycling trails are just not that high a priority around here.

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3
Old March 15th 05, 04:53 PM
Ken Marcet

wrote:

WOW! Thats a really big trail. I don't know much about the area, but 31
miles is larger than anything I know about down here.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...97mar15,1,4097

657.story?coll=chi-newslocalchicago-hed&ctrack=1&cset=true

Unfortunately the Chicago Tribune site is by subscription only, so I'm
guessing most of us won't get to read the article.

I don't know where "down here" is, but as a resident of Du Page county
(and member of the Naperville Bike Club), I'll believe it when I see
it! Talk is cheap in politics. The local pols have been talking about
linking one Du Page county trail or another to the Virgil Gilman trail
in Kane County for years. Even though the gap between the end of the
Wabonsie Creek Trail and the Gilman is about a half mile or so, it
still takes a detour of about a mile and a half on a busy road with no
shoulders to get from one to the other.

Bicycling trails are just not that high a priority around here.

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

Well I found that article through google news so you should be able to find
it. Down here is Florida.
And bike trails down here are very low on the agenda also.

Ken

Old March 15th 05, 05:18 PM
Scott Ehardt

http://bugmenot.com/view.php?url=chicagotribune.com

--
Scott Ehardt
http://www.scehardt.com

Old March 15th 05, 11:36 PM
max

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...ar15,1,4097657
.story?coll=chi-newslocalchicago-hed&ctrack=1&cset=true

Ken

If you haven't been on it, you might find the Prairie Path
http://www.ipp.org/GUI/base_map.jpg fun. It's a yooge gigantor loop.

i'm lucky enough to live a few hundred meters from the junction of the
Prairie Path's Geneva Spur and the Fox River trail
http://www.co.kane.il.us/Forest/frtrail.htm.

i think highly of them both. There's also Great Western
http://www.co.kane.il.us/Forest/frtrail.htm and the afore-mentioned
Virgil Gilman.

The river trail, is of course, replete with the best stopping points and
prettiness.

..max

--
blink

Old March 16th 05, 06:20 AM
Craig Holl

wrote:

WOW! Thats a really big trail. I don't know much about the area, but
31
miles is larger than anything I know about down here.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...ck=1&cset=true

Unfortunately the Chicago Tribune site is by subscription only, so I'm
guessing most of us won't get to read the article.1st step taken in
creating 31-mile recreation trail

Published March 15, 2005

DUPAGE COUNTY -- DuPage officials have approved plans for a 31-mile trail
north to south through the center of the county.

Last week the county's Environmental Committee accepted preliminary designs
for the East Branch DuPage River Greenway Trail. The $99,000 study was paid
for through a $74,000 federal grant and $25,000 in county funds.

When completed, the new trail will run from Bloomingdale south to Woodridge
and meet up with four other regional trails. It will connect 18 schools and
universities, including the College of DuPage in Glen Ellyn and Benedictine
University in Lisle, and link to 29 parks, 10 forest preserves and the
Morton Arboretum.

The project will consist of a combination of off-street trails, on-street
bicycle routes and existing bikeways. Construction has been separated into
21 sections that countywide or municipal agencies can build as funding
becomes available.

--
Craig Holl
Mechanical Engineer; New Berlin, WI

Katy Trail,RR TBGibb Rides 2 December 10th 04 04:05 AM
Katy Trail,RR TBGibb Rides 0 December 10th 04 02:30 AM
Uwharrie Trail Care Day May 15 Central NC Tommy Taylor Mountain Biking 1 April 28th 04 06:33 PM
Trail Care Day Uwharrie Woodrun Trail System ... Central, NC (Supertree and Keyauwee) Tommy Taylor Mountain Biking 1 April 13th 04 05:55 PM
RR Guelph Hiking Trail - Very Long Robert Schultz Mountain Biking 0 July 21st 03 05:12 AM