Your Speed Is...

Old March 23rd 05, 02:04 AM
Claire Petersky

Default Your Speed Is...

The city has put up radar signs where there are problems with speeding. I
now go by one of these just about every day.

I know these are to get the cars to slow down, but it has the reverse effect
on me. Even if my spedometer wasn't on the fritz, I'd still be pedalling as
fast as I could, such that my speed could be flashed in lights to everyone
on the road.

The one I go by all the time is just after things level off at the top of
the hill. I get to see the numbers grow from 11 mph, when I am still
struggling up the road, to 18 mph where it levels. So much fun!

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:
See the books I've set free at:

Old March 23rd 05, 01:19 PM
catzz66

Claire Petersky wrote:
The city has put up radar signs where there are problems with speeding. I
now go by one of these just about every day.

I know these are to get the cars to slow down, but it has the reverse effect
on me. Even if my spedometer wasn't on the fritz, I'd still be pedalling as
fast as I could, such that my speed could be flashed in lights to everyone
on the road.

The one I go by all the time is just after things level off at the top of
the hill. I get to see the numbers grow from 11 mph, when I am still
struggling up the road, to 18 mph where it levels. So much fun!

The feeling of speed is definitely a good one! I pick my routes where I
can always crank it up at some point.
Old March 23rd 05, 02:32 PM
Pat Lamb

Claire Petersky wrote:
The city has put up radar signs where there are problems with speeding. I
now go by one of these just about every day.

I know these are to get the cars to slow down, but it has the reverse effect
on me. Even if my spedometer wasn't on the fritz, I'd still be pedalling as
fast as I could, such that my speed could be flashed in lights to everyone
on the road.

The one I go by all the time is just after things level off at the top of
the hill. I get to see the numbers grow from 11 mph, when I am still
struggling up the road, to 18 mph where it levels. So much fun!

I'd have thought they'd put it at the bottom of a hill, so you can catch
those rowdy cagers going even faster downhill! (As an added benefit,
you'd get to see how fast you can go downhill on a bicycle, too!)

Pat
Old March 23rd 05, 03:25 PM
Claire Petersky

"Pat Lamb" wrote in message
Claire Petersky wrote:
The city has put up radar signs where there are problems with speeding.

now go by one of these just about every day.

I'd have thought they'd put it at the bottom of a hill, so you can catch
those rowdy cagers going even faster downhill! (As an added benefit,
you'd get to see how fast you can go downhill on a bicycle, too!)

The one on the Parkway is on a slight downhill, so you do get this benefit.
My husband and I rode past it on our tandem -- woo-wee!

I think the one I go by on my bike everyday is at the top of the hill
because that's the part that's closest to the most expensive houses =8-o!

Old March 23rd 05, 04:34 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky

The city has put up radar signs where there are problems with speeding. I
now go by one of these just about every day.

I know these are to get the cars to slow down, but it has the reverse
effect
on me. Even if my spedometer wasn't on the fritz, I'd still be pedalling
as
fast as I could, such that my speed could be flashed in lights to everyone
on the road.

The one I go by all the time is just after things level off at the top of
the hill. I get to see the numbers grow from 11 mph, when I am still
struggling up the road, to 18 mph where it levels. So much fun!

What about climbing a steep grade and you come across the yellow signs
telling you that you've got to speed up to 20 mph for that corner? I find
those a lot more challenging! :)

(And the 35mph ones I don't even try for.)

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old March 23rd 05, 05:50 PM
maxo

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 18:04:33 -0800, Claire Petersky wrote:

I know these are to get the cars to slow down, but it has the reverse
effect on me.

LOL, I thought I was the only one! I've even adjusted my position in the
lane to make absolutely sure that the radar hits me.

The best fun I had was one by a freeway overpass. I was hammering out of
the saddle both to check my speed on the sign, and because I like to avoid
spending time in interchanges.

A guy in a classic ghetto rusty Chevy Caprice starts yelling at me, and
I'm thinking, oh dear, not yet another confrontation--I turn to him,
smile, and say what's up, and he goes "26 mph on a bicycle uphill, you one
crazy motherfu**er." I felt pretty good--well, after I'd just about popped
a lung laughing my ass off.

Old March 23rd 05, 08:07 PM

Claire Petersky wrote:
The city has put up radar signs where there are problems with

speeding. I
now go by one of these just about every day.

I know these are to get the cars to slow down, but it has the reverse

effect
on me. Even if my spedometer wasn't on the fritz, I'd still be

pedalling as
fast as I could, such that my speed could be flashed in lights to

everyone
on the road.

The one I go by all the time is just after things level off at the

top of
the hill. I get to see the numbers grow from 11 mph, when I am still
struggling up the road, to 18 mph where it levels. So much fun!

There is one through a residential area on my usual ride. Of course I'm
pretending to be Cippolini (or Petachi). There is a group that uses the
same route and the winner gets bragging rights for the rest of the
ride.

There are quite a few sprint spots on my usual route, a few hills one
rolling mile and one downhill then flat 2 miles. It took me a while to
teach them to my wife so that when we ride she'll know what to expect.

Andy

Old March 23rd 05, 08:58 PM
David L. Johnson

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 18:04:33 -0800, Claire Petersky wrote:

The city has put up radar signs where there are problems with speeding. I
now go by one of these just about every day.

I know these are to get the cars to slow down, but it has the reverse effect
on me. Even if my spedometer wasn't on the fritz, I'd still be pedalling as
fast as I could, such that my speed could be flashed in lights to everyone
on the road.

The one I go by all the time is just after things level off at the top of
the hill. I get to see the numbers grow from 11 mph, when I am still
struggling up the road, to 18 mph where it levels. So much fun!

I always sprint for these things when I see them. If you go fast enough,
they flash and make all sorts of commotion, but to get them to do that you
do have to go well over the speed limit, usually not possible unless it's
a downhill.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not
_`\(,_ | certain, and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to
(_)/ (_) | reality. -- Albert Einstein

Old March 23rd 05, 09:32 PM
Darin McGrew

David L. Johnson wrote:
I always sprint for these things when I see them. If you go fast enough,
they flash and make all sorts of commotion, but to get them to do that you
do have to go well over the speed limit, usually not possible unless it's
a downhill.

Near some schools in my neighborhood, there are a few of those radar speed
display signs that activate at speeds below the limit.

It is kinda fun to play with them. :-)
--
Darin McGrew, , http://www.rahul.net/mcgrew/
Web Design Group, , http://www.HTMLHelp.com/

"The handwriting on the wall may mean you need a notepad by the phone."
Old March 24th 05, 12:08 AM
Cathy Kearns

"Claire Petersky" wrote in message

The one on the Parkway is on a slight downhill, so you do get this

benefit.
My husband and I rode past it on our tandem -- woo-wee!

I got a single, and have been tracking my speed...so I finally convinced my
husband to move the speedometer to the back of our tandem so I can watch. I
always asked him if we ever hit 40mph, he would always say nope. Well, on
our normal route we do every time, but apparently he was too intent watching
the road to notice... Yep, those tandems can haul on the downhill, ain't
gravity wonderful.