bringing a bike on a plane

Old March 24th 05, 01:34 AM
Pat

::
: Specifically about shipping bikes. I've done it with both bike boxes
: and the special transport cases. Both worked fine.
:
: My only caveat is that with the new rules about not being able to lock
: your luggage I think there is a much greater risk of stuff going
: missing.

I just got back from traveling to Charlotte and back to DFW. In the
Charlotte airport, Brookstone had several different locks for sale that are
TSA approved. It seems they have a special key to open these locks without
having to know the code. If you use a TSA approved lock, everything ought
to be fine.

Pat in TX
:

Old March 24th 05, 01:46 AM

Bill Sornson writes:

And it takes longer to get the items when you DEPLANE. I love
that word DE-PLANE. It's so stupid.

You're absolutely right, DE-PLANE is just about the stupidest word
there is.

Not to Tattoo.

I guess we owe that to the days of traveling by ship where you
embarked and debarked or even disembarked. Merriam-Webster OnLine
believes embark and debark are appropriate for air travel although
travel agents apparently like the specific term "plane" never having
gotten on a sailing ship for travel.

Old March 24th 05, 01:53 AM
Pat

:
: I guess we owe that to the days of traveling by ship where you
: embarked and debarked or even disembarked. Merriam-Webster OnLine
: believes embark and debark are appropriate for air travel although
: travel agents apparently like the specific term "plane" never having
: gotten on a sailing ship for travel.
:
:

And, that debarked probably came from the ship called a Barque.....

Pat in TX

Old March 24th 05, 01:55 AM
Sid

I took my bike to Alaska recently and I used the same box it was shipped to
me in when it was new. Just a factory shipping box. I did reinforce the
box with some thin sheets of plastic styrofoam corrugated stuff (Like they
make signs with) just for extra protection.

Going to Alaska, American airlines charged me $80 and the bike was checked
through to the destination (I did change airlines). On the return trip,
Alaska airlines charged me $50 and again it was checked through to my
destination (again I did change airlines). Far as I can tell the only way
you can substitute a bike for one of your regular checked bags is if it
meets their size and weight requirement for a checked bag. Most bike boxes
are too big. Ergo, the extra charge. My bike came through unscathed both
flights, but the box took a pretty good beating. I was glad I had
reinforced the box with the plastic sheets.

That was my experience. I also looked into renting a bike, but some places
wanted $30-50 per day and they didn't even have the kind of bike I wanted.

Sid

"Dr. Richard E. Hawkins" wrote in message
I have a conference at home (Las Vegas) in a couple of weeks. I'll be
there an extra couple of days.

I've had the odd idea to bring the bicycle with me as transportation.

It's nothign spectalar; just for commuting a couple of miles each day.
A Trek 4300 or some such that was the back to school sale a couple of
years ago; fairly generic mountain bike with quick release front & back.

If I simply wrap it in a cardboard box, is it likely to survive? I've
seen the case, but they all cost more than the bicycle, which is close
to disposable . . .

A luggage would also have to be transported, which would be an issue.
If I could pack the bike this way, I could just pack in my old seabag
and wear it aas a backpack . . .

hawk
--
Richard E. Hawkins, Asst. Prof. of Economics /"\ ASCII ribbon
campaign

Old March 24th 05, 02:01 AM
Chris Neary

If I simply wrap it in a cardboard box, is it likely to survive? I've
seen the case, but they all cost more than the bicycle, which is close
to disposable . . .

Some LBS's rent bike cases, if you're interested.

Chris Neary

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventu what more could
you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh
Old March 24th 05, 02:37 AM

Dr. Richard E. Hawkins wrote:
I have a conference at home (Las Vegas) in a couple of weeks. I'll

be
there an extra couple of days.

I've had the odd idea to bring the bicycle with me as transportation.

It's nothign spectalar; just for commuting a couple of miles each

day.
A Trek 4300 or some such that was the back to school sale a couple of
years ago; fairly generic mountain bike with quick release front &

back.

If I simply wrap it in a cardboard box, is it likely to survive?

I've
seen the case, but they all cost more than the bicycle, which is

close
to disposable . . .

We've traveled overseas, taking our bikes on flights. We didn't rent
or buy, because for a long bike tour, we wanted to use our own nice
touring bikes.

We got standard bike cartons - the ones new bikes arrive in - from our
LBS. Disassembly and reassembly were a bit tedious (what with racks,
fenders, etc. for touring).

The bikes survived, despite astonishingly bad treatment. We witnessed
our "This End UP!" bike cartons laid on their side on the roof of a
luggage truck. We watched as the "Fragile!" cartons were pushed from
that height directly to the ground. Pack well!

If I had it to do over again with those bikes, I'd add wheels or
casters to one corner of the box; the cartons are large and unwieldy.

For a couple day trip with little riding, I'd consider borrowing,
renting or buying a junker. (You say Vegas is "home." Do you have
friends there who can scare up a bike for you?)

If I made such trips frequently, I'd get a folding bike.

Old March 24th 05, 04:24 AM
Leo Lichtman

wrote: (clip)Merriam-Webster OnLine
believes embark and debark are appropriate (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If I say "debark," my friends assume I am talking about wood.

Old March 24th 05, 04:35 AM
Leo Lichtman

"Pat" wrote: (clip) What do you do with the Dahon after you ride back to the
festival?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I'm glad you asked. Depends on the event. At the state fair in Sacramento,
I kept it with me, and used it whenever I had to go back to the car, for
food, etc. At the Scottish Games in Pleasanton, I cabled it to a post,
within sight of a security guard. At an indoor concert, I fold it and take
it inside. One time I stashed it in the aisle of a university classroom.
Sometimes, at a flea market I'll bungee a carton to the rack, and use it as
my shopping cart.

Old March 24th 05, 04:39 AM
Claire Petersky

"Dr. Richard E. Hawkins" wrote in message
I have a conference at home (Las Vegas) in a couple of weeks. I'll be
there an extra couple of days.

I've had the odd idea to bring the bicycle with me as transportation.

Why not rent while you're in Vegas?

See: http://www.vegasbikeclub.org/faq.htm

--
Warm Regards,