Anyone who spends $6K on a bike is a moron!

Old March 24th 05, 03:35 AM
Chris Neary

And there's always a faster guy on the road...

Maybe it's not about being faster. Maybe it's about being more comfortable,
and appreciating the craftsmanship involved in a custom bike.

Exactly.

My 5-foot tall wife's custom Serotta didn't cost $6K, but the fact that it
fits her perfectly, unlike any other bike she has ever owned, makes it
priceless in her (and my) eyes.

Chris Neary

"It feels so good to blow up!" - Tracey Adams
Old March 24th 05, 03:35 AM
Patrick Lamb

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 14:58:17 -0700, "Bestest Handsander"
wrote:

The recent threads on people spending $6 grand or more on bikes makes me
laugh. Unless you're spending 6+ hours a day on your bike against elite
competition, you just don't need to drop 6 bills on a bike. Better ride...
lower weight. HA! You really don't notice a difference... you just want to
notice a difference.

Naw, it's all in relation to ME. Anyone over 50 is old, because I'm
under 50. (Barely!) Anyone who spends more than $1000 on a bike is
nuts. Well, with inflation, maybe $1100, because that's how much the
model I've been thinking about buying costs now. Unless I get the
$2800 bike, in which case that's entirely rational, but anyone who
spends over $3000 needs to be committed!

Pat

Email address works as is.
Old March 24th 05, 04:01 AM
Chris Neary

Naw, it's all in relation to ME. Anyone over 50 is old, because I'm
under 50. (Barely!) Anyone who spends more than $1000 on a bike is
nuts. Well, with inflation, maybe $1100, because that's how much the
model I've been thinking about buying costs now. Unless I get the
$2800 bike, in which case that's entirely rational, but anyone who
spends over $3000 needs to be committed!

Or as George Carlin said: "Anyone driving faster than me is maniac, anyone
slower is a moron."

Chris Neary

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventu what more could
you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh
Old March 24th 05, 04:34 AM

Chris Neary writes:

Naw, it's all in relation to ME. Anyone over 50 is old, because
I'm under 50. (Barely!) Anyone who spends more than $1000 on a
bike is nuts. Well, with inflation, maybe $1100, because that's
how much the model I've been thinking about buying costs now.
Unless I get the $2800 bike, in which case that's entirely
rational, but anyone who spends over $3000 needs to be committed!

Or as George Carlin said: "Anyone driving faster than me is maniac,
anyone slower is a moron."

We don't need George Carlin for that, it comes naturally to most
people, especially bicyclists, where every ride is a competition as
was recently mentioned. Proof of that axiom:

"You should have seen them, descending like madmen."

translation: they were faster than the observer.

"You should have seen those dorks, descending like slugs."

translation: they were slower than the observer... in both instances,
for whatever reason, the riders were traveling at their preferred speed.

Old March 24th 05, 05:04 AM
Zoot Katz

Wed, 23 Mar 2005 14:58:17 -0700, ,
"Bestest Handsander" wrote:

Now... I'll go take a self-righteous ride on my $5800 bike!

Good day

Enjoy. You'd not want to be seen riding that bike dressed like you'd
just stolen it. Gotta have the Assos shorts and CF designer eyewear.

Still, a bicycle purchase represents X% of your annual income.
My first adult 10spd was ~75% of my weekly wage. My next one was two
weeks and that was stolen. In Sri Lanka, a derailleur equipped 7spd
city bike costs about a month's salary. Here, we make it easy to buy a
car with no money.Two car+interest+insurance payments would buy a damn
fine bike free-and-clear.

No matter, some people will make tremendous sacrifices and get great
deals for building their dream bike. Others can blow chunks of a
windfall. I'd spend silly on a bicycle before a watch or stereo.

It's my pie so I get to decide how it's sliced.
--
zk
Old March 24th 05, 05:07 AM
Zoot Katz

Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:35:35 -0600,
,
Patrick Lamb wrote:

Unless I get the
$2800 bike, in which case that's entirely rational, but anyone who
spends over $3000 needs to be committed!

I think if it costs a month's wage, you need to be committed to
cycling and making sacrifices or paying outrageous interest rates.
--
zk
Old March 24th 05, 05:08 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Or as George Carlin said: "Anyone driving faster than me is maniac,
anyone slower is a moron."

We don't need George Carlin for that, it comes naturally to most
people, especially bicyclists, where every ride is a competition as
was recently mentioned. Proof of that axiom:

"You should have seen them, descending like madmen."

translation: they were faster than the observer.

"You should have seen those dorks, descending like slugs."

translation: they were slower than the observer... in both instances,
for whatever reason, the riders were traveling at their preferred speed.

Yet in neither instance can it be assumed they were traveling at a safe or
reasonable speed.

I can descend reasonably well; not that many people can get away from me. Of
those that do, some are unquestionably more skilled at descending than I am,
but I'm also qualified to know that some people descend in a manner that is
dangerously close to the edge, and I have in fact watched several people go
down in front of me. They weren't even necessarily faster than I was going,
but chose to take lines that, if something didn't turn out quite right (like
a bit of water or gravel), they could go down. And they sometimes do. Some
might suggest that descending in such a manner is, in fact, a sign of
madness. Hard to disagree.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old March 24th 05, 05:23 AM
S o r n i

Zoot Katz wrote:
Wed, 23 Mar 2005 14:58:17 -0700, ,
"Bestest Handsander" wrote:

Now... I'll go take a self-righteous ride on my $5800 bike!

Good day

Enjoy. You'd not want to be seen riding that bike dressed like you'd
just stolen it. Gotta have the Assos shorts and CF designer eyewear.

Shorts? On a decent road bike? It's bibs or back to the thrift store.

My nicest ones don't even have the telltale Performance 'P' on 'em...

Old March 24th 05, 07:37 AM
Zoot Katz

Thu, 24 Mar 2005 05:23:42 GMT,
, "S o r n i"
wrote:

Gotta have the Assos shorts and CF designer eyewear.

Shorts? On a decent road bike? It's bibs or back to the thrift store.

AFAIK, "shorts" refers to the inseam length rather than the waist
treatment. My good "knickers" are bibs and the polo pair has an
elastic waistband like all of my cycling shorts. Replacements shorts
too will likely be bibs. I find them comfy. I'm of regular
proportions. A person with a long torso might feel restricted.

My nicest ones don't even have the telltale Performance 'P' on 'em...

I'd sure not want to wear shorts or knickers with pee on them.
--
zk
Old March 24th 05, 08:48 AM
Leo Lichtman

"Jim" wrote: (clip) You cannot ride twice as fast on a $6k bike as you can
on a $3k bike (clip)
No, there are formulas for that. I believe the cost of a bike goes up
approximately as the cube of the speed, so going twice as fast costs 8 times
as much.

Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price Rides 0 June 1st 04 04:53 AM
Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price General 0 June 1st 04 04:52 AM
Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price Recumbent Biking 0 June 1st 04 04:49 AM
Street Bike Devlin UK 44 March 17th 04 10:28 AM
aus.bicycle FAQ (Monthly(ish) Posting) kingsley Australia 3 February 24th 04 08:44 PM