Anyone who spends $6K on a bike is a moron!

Old March 24th 05, 01:12 PM
Colorado Bicycler

How about $3,000 on the bike and $3,000 to your local food bank or
other charity?

Old March 24th 05, 01:40 PM
Mark Hickey

"Leo Lichtman" wrote:

"Jim" wrote: (clip) You cannot ride twice as fast on a $6k bike as you can
on a $3k bike (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
No, there are formulas for that. I believe the cost of a bike goes up
approximately as the cube of the speed, so going twice as fast costs 8 times
as much.

Don't I wish? I'd go spend $10-20,000 today if I could ride twice as
fast tomorrow (I'd make it up in Europe this summer!).

Mark "Lance would be toast" Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old March 24th 05, 01:43 PM
Mark Hickey

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:

....(snip) they could go down. And they sometimes do. Some
might suggest that descending in such a manner is, in fact, a sign of
madness. Hard to disagree.

It's all a matter of degrees. Others could make the point that riding
ANY mountain bike off-road is "madness" since you will eventually
crash. It's all just a question of how often you have to crash to be
considered "mad".

Mark "I'm over the limit it appears" Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old March 24th 05, 01:46 PM
Mark Hickey

"S o r n i" wrote:

Shorts? On a decent road bike? It's bibs or back to the thrift store.

My nicest ones don't even have the telltale Performance 'P' on 'em...

You know, Bill... I don't care whuchu say... you don't have to 'P' in
or on your shorts to be a high performance cyclist. OK, once in a
while when you're in a pack and there isn't time to stop...

Mark "another great reason to ride titanium" Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old March 24th 05, 06:11 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky

....(snip) they could go down. And they sometimes do. Some
might suggest that descending in such a manner is, in fact, a sign of
madness. Hard to disagree.

It's all a matter of degrees. Others could make the point that riding
ANY mountain bike off-road is "madness" since you will eventually
crash. It's all just a question of how often you have to crash to be
considered "mad".

When I raced (road), I considered that I wasn't being aggressive enough if I
didn't crash once in a while. And, for the most part, it was true. If I
wasn't taking chances sometimes, I wasn't going to be there at the end. What
that a sign of madness? Back then I didn't think so, but now...

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old March 25th 05, 03:58 AM
Mark Hickey

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:

....(snip) they could go down. And they sometimes do. Some
might suggest that descending in such a manner is, in fact, a sign of
madness. Hard to disagree.

It's all a matter of degrees. Others could make the point that riding
ANY mountain bike off-road is "madness" since you will eventually
crash. It's all just a question of how often you have to crash to be
considered "mad".

When I raced (road), I considered that I wasn't being aggressive enough if I
didn't crash once in a while. And, for the most part, it was true. If I
wasn't taking chances sometimes, I wasn't going to be there at the end. What
that a sign of madness? Back then I didn't think so, but now...

I often wonder how any of us make it to adulthood.

.... errr, statistical adulthood that is.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old March 25th 05, 04:46 AM
Bob

Mark Hickey wrote:
I often wonder how any of us make it to adulthood.

... errr, statistical adulthood that is.

Mark Hickey

I'm glad that you clarified that. As I sometimes tell people, "Yeah, I
may be old but at least I'm immature."

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Old March 25th 05, 11:22 AM
Donald Gillies

"Bestest Handsander" writes:

The recent threads on people spending $6 grand or more on bikes makes me
laugh. Unless you're spending 6+ hours a day on your bike against elite
competition, you just don't need to drop 6 bills on a bike.

I used to try to spend more every time I got a new 10,10,10,12,27
speed

$90
$150
$225
$300
$380
$1700

now I'm in this mode where i remember all the best bikes from my youth
and you can still get these awesome bikes for pennies on the dollar,
some are in awesome condition too !! So I got a 12,10,10,12,10,10,10 speed

$375
$350
$180
$135
$125
$315(oops)
$75

All six bikes above are reynolds double butted steel throughout.
you know, it's the rider, not the ride that makes a bike speedy.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

Old March 25th 05, 05:44 PM
Drew Eckhardt

In article ,
Bestest Handsander wrote:
The recent threads on people spending $6 grand or more on bikes makes me
laugh.

You can buy a new $6000 bike every 18 months and throw the old one in
the trash for what you loose on depreciation and interest buying a nice
3-year old used car.

If you only buy a new bike every decade it's cheaper than satellite TV
with a few movie channels.

lower weight. HA! You really don't notice a difference... you just want to
notice a difference.

Toys like this are guy jewelry which is more functional than a woman's
baubles and clothing.

--
a href="http://www.poohsticks.org/drew/"Home Page/a
In 1913 the inflation adjusted (in 2003 dollars) exemption for single people
Old March 25th 05, 07:30 PM
Maggie

Neil Brooks wrote:
Jim wrote:

If your name isn't Lance, riding a $6k bike tells me I don't want to

know
you. Those people who have to buy the "best there is" make me puke.

Even
if I were rich (which I'm not), I wouldn't spend that much money on

a bike,
because I'd feel stupid each time some guy on a clunker passes me.

You
cannot ride twice as fast on a $6k bike as you can on a $3k bike

(much less
6 times as fast as on a $1k bike).

And there's always a faster guy on the road...

Interesting. I (now) ride a bike that costs about that much. I

guess
one difference between you and me is that I would *still* enjoy

riding
with you (perhaps I wouldn't enjoy *chatting* with you while we rode,
but...), though the thought of riding with me, apparently, repulses
you.

YOU RIDE A $6,000 bike? I can't even imagine it. But I spent 1,000 on
a Gucci purse once, and some people think I should be committed for
that. I'm also sure it repulses people too. Sometimes it repulses me
....especially when I think of the people struggling to make a living on
minimum wage. I go back and forth all the time regarding my values. I
don't know how I lived to be this age and still can't figure out what
is over-indulgence. There are days I want to give all my money away and
go live in the woods with no material posessions, other days I want to
take a limo into the city and eat dinner at my favorite revolving
restaurant overlooking the city. I'm a gemini. Two people in one I
guess.
All Good Things,
Maggie..reflecting on her life and values

Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price Rides 0 June 1st 04 04:53 AM
Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price General 0 June 1st 04 04:52 AM
Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price Recumbent Biking 0 June 1st 04 04:49 AM
Street Bike Devlin UK 44 March 17th 04 10:28 AM
aus.bicycle FAQ (Monthly(ish) Posting) kingsley Australia 3 February 24th 04 08:44 PM