Baksheesh

Old January 27th 12, 12:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Davey Crockett[_5_]

Default Baksheesh

The Olympic Follies are due to kick off in London this year.

Why anyone in England would be stupid enough to burden the already
stretched beyond the limit English taxpayers with such a White Elephant
eludes me, but we must bow to the inevitable and hope the deficit
doesn't run more than a couple of billion now worthless quid.

But it won't be a dead loss for some of the judges.

Judges are needed in those endeavours, euphemistically referred to as
"sports" where the winner is decided on points awarded by the panel of
"judges".

The "Citius, Altius, Fortius" true sports are easily judged and everyone
can readily see who won unless a photofinish decision is necessary. But
these days even the photofinishes are replayed on television and there
is usually no doubt about who won.

But where judges have to award points, there is, as has been adequately
revealed on numerous occasions in the past, lots of room for judges to
bias the points awarded to any particular competitor according to how
many Roubles were in the envelope(s) that had been slipped to them.

Thankfully, this never happens in cycling as the winner is readily
identified and the opportunities for corruption simply do not exist.

Ooops - wait a minute. Don't they judge skateboarding on points?

--
Halal Meat? Shame on Britain
http://azurservers.com:7080/rbr/halal.jpg

Old January 27th 12, 01:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Steve Freides[_2_]

Default OT - Baksheesh

Davey Crockett wrote:

But where judges have to award points, there is, as has been
adequately revealed on numerous occasions in the past, lots of room
for judges to bias the points awarded to any particular competitor
according to how many Roubles were in the envelope(s) that had been
slipped to them.

Thankfully, this never happens in cycling as the winner is readily
identified and the opportunities for corruption simply do not exist.

Ooops - wait a minute. Don't they judge skateboarding on points?

What alternative judging system do you propose? The elimination of
those "sports" altogether?

-S-

Old January 27th 12, 04:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Davey Crockett[_5_]

"Steve Freides" a écrit profondement:

| Davey Crockett wrote:

| But where judges have to award points, there is, as has been
| adequately revealed on numerous occasions in the past, lots of room
| for judges to bias the points awarded to any particular competitor
| according to how many Roubles were in the envelope(s) that had been
| slipped to them.
|
| Thankfully, this never happens in cycling as the winner is readily
| identified and the opportunities for corruption simply do not exist.
|
| Ooops - wait a minute. Don't they judge skateboarding on points?

| What alternative judging system do you propose? The elimination of
| those "sports" altogether?

Yes

--
Davey Crockett
Flying the Flag of the English
Old January 30th 12, 11:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Frederick the Great

In article ,
"Steve Freides" wrote:

Davey Crockett wrote:

But where judges have to award points, there is, as has been
adequately revealed on numerous occasions in the past, lots of room
for judges to bias the points awarded to any particular competitor
according to how many Roubles were in the envelope(s) that had been
slipped to them.

Thankfully, this never happens in cycling as the winner is readily
identified and the opportunities for corruption simply do not exist.

Ooops - wait a minute. Don't they judge skateboarding on points?

What alternative judging system do you propose? The elimination of
those "sports" altogether?

Yes. I am in the minority. Most people enjoy
watching gymnasts and figure skaters, and
enjoy arguing judges' calls.

I most enjoy the field events---shot put,
long jump, pole vault, javelin, and hammer throw;
plus the hurdles, and steeple chase.

--
Old Fritz
Old January 31st 12, 03:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Steve Freides[_2_]

Frederick the Great wrote:

Yes. I am in the minority. Most people enjoy
watching gymnasts and figure skaters, and
enjoy arguing judges' calls.

I don't get how anyone can argue the judges calls - you have to have a
pretty high level of knowledge about the sport to argue those. I don't.

-S-