All time "Greats" updated to include 2008 Tour

Old July 28th 08, 07:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Davey Crockett[_5_]

Default All time "Greats" updated to include 2008 Tour

Although some don't agree with the points allocation, this is still a
good index

http://www.cyclinghalloffame.com/rid...ed_overall.txt

--
Davey Crockett
-
Old July 28th 08, 08:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tuschinski

http://www.cyclinghalloffame.com/rid...g_combined_ove...

--
Davey Crockett *
-

Climbers as Virenque and Chiapucci (I loved them, dont get me wrong)
are rather high up there, higher than for example Pantani and Museeuw.
Considering the standard is Palmares I doubt that is objectively
defendable. But it's impossible to please all I guess^^
Old July 28th 08, 08:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tuschinski

On 28 jul, 08:22, Davey Crockett wrote:
Although some don't agree with the points allocation, this is still a
good index

http://www.cyclinghalloffame.com/rid...g_combined_ove...

--
Davey Crockett *
-
**** the New World Order
Fly your Nation's Flaghttp://darkstar1.azurservers.com:6080/rbr/englishdragon.jpghttp://darkstar1.azurservers.com:6080/rbr/dixie.gif

Ahhh no stages counted...... well, quite frankly that in itself makes
it a completely idiotic list (looks at Darrigade and Cipolini). Also
an enormous bias towards GT's.
Old July 28th 08, 02:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Jul 28, 9:26 am, Tuschinski wrote:
On 28 jul, 08:22, Davey Crockett wrote:

Although some don't agree with the points allocation, this is still a
good index

http://www.cyclinghalloffame.com/rid...g_combined_ove...

--
Davey Crockett
-
**** the New World Order
Fly your Nation's Flaghttp://darkstar1.azurservers.com:6080/rbr/englishdragon.jpghttp://dar...

Ahhh no stages counted...... well, quite frankly that in itself makes
it a completely idiotic list (looks at Darrigade and Cipolini). Also
an enormous bias towards GT's.

Another example, Kohl ahead of Cancellara. Also, Cipollini might be on
the current riders list.

-ilan
Old July 29th 08, 02:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

In article
,
Tuschinski wrote:

On 28 jul, 08:22, Davey Crockett wrote:
Although some don't agree with the points allocation, this is still a
good index

http://www.cyclinghalloffame.com/rid...g_combined_ove...

Ahhh no stages counted...... well, quite frankly that in itself makes
it a completely idiotic list (looks at Darrigade and Cipolini). Also
an enormous bias towards GT's.

I don't know if that's unreasonable. In all seriousness, you'd
cross-check any points system like this by first figuring out if the
obvious suspects appear at the top of the list. Indeed, you could
practically start with, as a first cut, "what points systems give Merckx
a dominant advantage over any other rider all-time?"

Post-hoc points systems are somewhat flawed in that riders, given a
scoring structure and race format, always race to win the format. If you
applied a points format to a scratch race (or vice versa) after the
event, anyone would scoff at your revised scoring as meaningless.

Similarly, the importance of various events at various times (and even
to riders of various nationalities) varied greatly, and it's really hard
to account for that over time.