700x23c vs 700x23

Old March 24th 04, 02:14 AM
Christopher Cooper

Default 700x23c vs 700x23

What is the difference between a 700x23c tire and a 700x23 tire? I have
a 700x23c on my bike now and just bought a pair of 700x23. Will they
work? Thanks and sorry for being a newbie poster.

--
Christopher Cooper christopher-cooper "at" comcast "dot" net

PGP/GPG KeyID: 0xC898605D http://www.cougarkhan.com
Old March 24th 04, 02:56 AM
Ted Bennett

Christopher Cooper wrote:

What is the difference between a 700x23c tire and a 700x23 tire? I have
a 700x23c on my bike now and just bought a pair of 700x23. Will they
work? Thanks and sorry for being a newbie poster.

Some fools can be wise.

Although tire sizing has been improved lately, notably in the case of
Avocet, there often is too much input from the marketing department.
Tires labeled larger than their true size naturally are wonderfully
light for their putative size.

Tire size when mounted on a rim is of course affected by the rim width.
It would seem that specifying a tire width by the linear distance
between bead wires (with the casing pushed flat) would be useful. I
dimly recall that this measure is one being used by ERTRO, but it
doesn't seem to be enforced.

--
Ted Bennett
Portland OR

Old March 24th 04, 03:44 AM
Tom Sherman

Christopher Cooper wrote:

What is the difference between a 700x23c tire and a 700x23 tire? I have
a 700x23c on my bike now and just bought a pair of 700x23. Will they
work? Thanks and sorry for being a newbie poster.

This will shock rec.bicycles.tech regulars, but Sheldon Brown has a page
describing bicycle tire sizing on his website.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire_sizing.html.

Old March 24th 04, 04:21 AM
Sheldon Brown

Christopher Cooper wrote:
What is the difference between a 700x23c tire and a 700x23 tire? I have
a 700x23c on my bike now and just bought a pair of 700x23. Will they
work? Thanks and sorry for being a newbie poster.

The difference is that they forgot to print the "c" on one the new
tires. That's the only difference.

I've seen more serious mismarking on tires that, most notably from
Continental and Vredstein. Don't worry about it.

Sheldon "http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing" Brown
| Pentagon officials believe they have been unable to locate |
| Bin Laden because he has found an ideal place to hide out. |
| 1 It is easy to get in if you have the money. |
| 2 No one will recognize or remember you. |
| 3 No one will realize that you have disappeared. |
| 4 No one keeps any records of your comings and goings. |
| 5 You have no obligations or responsibilities. |
| Pentagon analysts are still puzzled, as to how Bin Laden |
| found out about the Texas Air National Guard. |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide