One to go

Old September 12th 04, 08:34 PM
the black rose

Default One to go

Today, my youngest son rear-ended me while riding. We'd ridden into a
parking lot, I called a stop at the curb to adjust something, he was
looking behind him... WHUMP. Took a handlebar impact to my lower back
(lovely muscle spasms for at least 5 mins after the hit), and a tire in
the back of my right knee (turned purple immediately). And scratched
the pristine paint job on my brand new bike. *sniffle* *grin*

Two down, one to go, now I just need my 18-yr-old to rear end me and
that'll be all three of the boys still living at home. At least he's
got a much lighter bike than the other two; maybe it won't hurt so much.

:-D

-km

--
Only cowards fight kids -- unidentified Moscow protester
the black rose
Old September 12th 04, 09:24 PM
Badger_South

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 19:34:14 GMT, the black rose
wrote:

Today, my youngest son rear-ended me while riding. We'd ridden into a
parking lot, I called a stop at the curb to adjust something, he was
looking behind him... WHUMP. Took a handlebar impact to my lower back
(lovely muscle spasms for at least 5 mins after the hit), and a tire in
the back of my right knee (turned purple immediately). And scratched
the pristine paint job on my brand new bike. *sniffle* *grin*

Two down, one to go, now I just need my 18-yr-old to rear end me and
that'll be all three of the boys still living at home. At least he's
got a much lighter bike than the other two; maybe it won't hurt so much.

:-D

-km

Maybe there's a lesson here? Why not call for a stop and when they stop,
circle and then you stop behind them? Same thing for turning around in
those dead-end circles. My brother likes to circle the opposite way and I'm
always wary of him riding -just- the arc to run into me head-on. He thinks
it's funny. So now, before we get to a circle turnaround, I drop him and
make the circle so I'm coming out of it as he's not quite entering it.

So when are we gonna see a .jpg of the new bike? ;-D

-B
Uh, before you get it more scratched and dirty, that is. g

Old September 12th 04, 11:33 PM
the black rose

wrote:

Today, my youngest son rear-ended me while riding. We'd ridden into a
parking lot, I called a stop at the curb to adjust something, he was
looking behind him... WHUMP. Took a handlebar impact to my lower back
(lovely muscle spasms for at least 5 mins after the hit), and a tire in
the back of my right knee (turned purple immediately). And scratched
the pristine paint job on my brand new bike. *sniffle* *grin*

Two down, one to go, now I just need my 18-yr-old to rear end me and
that'll be all three of the boys still living at home. At least he's
got a much lighter bike than the other two; maybe it won't hurt so much.

:-D

-km

Maybe there's a lesson here? Why not call for a stop and when they stop,
circle and then you stop behind them?

Cuz that one is only 13, and still a little careless. He doesn't stop
when I *tell* him to stop, he stops when he *sees* me stop, no matter
how much I holler. Hand signals work somewhat better, IF he's looking.
That's precisely why I was rear-ended -- he had turned to look at his
dad, who was following him. Paid no attention to the call, didn't see
the hand signal. KLONK.

DH had a talk with him about listening, while I was rolling around on
the grass with my lower back muscles in spasm from the collision.
Hopefully he learned something.

So when are we gonna see a .jpg of the new bike? ;-D

-B
Uh, before you get it more scratched and dirty, that is. g

*snort*

Take a picture of my bike? D'oh. I should really think about that.

Until then, you'll have to settle for the pic from the manufacturer's site:
http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/04/c...del-4RR1Y.html

Put a Butterfly Ti saddle and SPD pedals on it, and that's my bike. The
forks can accommodate fenders, and there are braze-ons for a rear rack;
between that and the slightly relaxed geometry and the suspension
seatpost, it's suitable for light touring. It's a LOT lighter than my
hybrid (only 19#), so it's nicer on the road. It can also take wider
tires than the 25mm that it comes with (but how much bigger, I'm not
sure, I should ask).

And it's black. Black is good. Red would have been better. It's a
scientific fact that red bikes are fastest. But black is second best.

:-D

-km