"Who Knew" show Trek bike construction

Old March 22nd 08, 05:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Zilla

Default "Who Knew" show Trek bike construction

Did someone catch Marshall Brain's show the other night
that feature Madone bike construction? It amazed me how
a lot was still done manually. I was also amazed at a statement
one of the Trekkies said when describing the stress test (referring
to a Madone frame) that if he left the frame for a year it'll still
be there on the setup - being stressed with no cracks, stress points,
etc.

Also they showed how the seat tube "flexes" for comfort; is this
your (owners') experience?

Old March 22nd 08, 05:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

well well well well, I guess that test proves there's something
structurally lacking in steel and aluminum frames that crack carryin
overweight riders and groceries on fairly smooth routes.
there is just no shortage of .... lately
Old March 22nd 08, 07:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

On Mar 22, 12:15*pm, datakoll wrote:
well well well well, I guess that test proves there's something
structurally lacking in steel and aluminum frames that crack carryin
overweight riders and groceries on fairly smooth routes.
there is just no shortage of .... lately

who is Marshall Brain?
there's a liability issue. Frames are tested beyond the threshold of
pain produced by normal users.
Otherwise Trek would be otta business. the stress testing machine(s)
are built by the machining dept from designs drawn by a stress testing
engineer. It's quality structure built to repeat the same motions over
and over thousands of times and measure what's happening.
That's more or less what we see here in RBT. Once in a while someone
will 'claim' to have a broken carbon fork or even rarer a crack in the
frame. the forks tended to be off beat brand forks sold at discount.
All those I saw were road bikes, no outsight $$$ carbon MTB. like when
I see a Lightspeed itsa big deal, never see a plastic MTB.
I grew up when plastic was an inferior substance. I am amazed at
cateye and crankcrick grips resin plastics. Buy a Nadone? Nodway.
cheap plastic. waht's the point? I will stay up for the Baboon GP,
marveling at plastic F1 cars. And whattsiname that ran over the
japanese slug in Kentucky or Ohio. GOOD LUCK DC!
Old March 22nd 08, 08:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/squirrel.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old March 22nd 08, 09:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Andrew Muzi wrote:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/squirrel.jpg

That is why I prefer to ride a bicycle with a front wheel like this one
- no room for squirrel intrusion:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/19704682@N08/2163925995/.

Old March 22nd 08, 10:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

yeah but the fork cracked where? and with a Shimano one spoke wheel.
not after getting unfairly bludgeoned by a Ferrari.

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/product/display/10406

http://www.hampsten.com/Bikes/ClassicRoad/z1pro.html

say what happened to the company producing highly faired tube joinery?
Old March 22nd 08, 10:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Zilla

Marshall Brain has a show called "Who Knew" that features how
different things are made, shown in National Geographic channel.
This weeks show just happened to feature the Madone cosnstruction.

Old March 22nd 08, 11:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

http://www.lowriderbike.com/bike_tec...ndo21_zoom.jpg
Old March 23rd 08, 01:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

pre Nimbus ! add nylon and starch then croutch

does Yellow Jersey sell plastic frames?
Old March 23rd 08, 03:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Victor Kan

On Mar 22, 5:31 pm, "Zilla" wrote:
Marshall Brain has a show called "Who Knew" that features how
different things are made, shown in National Geographic channel.
This weeks show just happened to feature the Madone cosnstruction.

Looks like the bike-related episode is being replayed 3/27, 9-10pm
(EDT) for those of us who missed it. As usual, check your local
listings.