New Bontager Helmet Material

Old March 20th 19, 05:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default New Bontager Helmet Material

I had heard that Trek was going to have a new material for their bike frames. Well, in fact it is a new material for helmets. Styrofoam worked for preventing skull fractures but that is not a source of cycling injuries on the whole - concussions are.

The new material will NOT offer the ultimate safety as the Styrofoam did but it is WAY softer in the manner of crushing and will eliminate most of the concussions. While this won't meet the helmet standards I have no doubt that they will make a new standard for this material since it will probably save 70% or more of the NORMAL injuries from bicycle accidents.

It will be several years before statistics are available to compare these helmets to the injury rate but I have great hope for them.

They will come in two types - the normal road helmet and that anti-twist system that almost doubles the price of a helmet and for which I do not see much in the way of improvement if the crush of the helmet material is so much softer.

Interesting is that I suspect that they will use this material for the mold around which to form a carbon fiber frame. It will not add any more weight than the inflatable molds they presently use and it is likely that with a more solid mold that voids and gaps will be reduced or even eliminated.
Old March 20th 19, 11:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 08:39:02 +1100, James wrote:

On 21/3/19 3:51 am, wrote:
I had heard that Trek was going to have a new material for their bike
frames. Well, in fact it is a new material for helmets. Styrofoam
worked for preventing skull fractures but that is not a source of
cycling injuries on the whole - concussions are.

The new material will NOT offer the ultimate safety as the Styrofoam
did but it is WAY softer in the manner of crushing and will eliminate
most of the concussions. While this won't meet the helmet standards I
have no doubt that they will make a new standard for this material
since it will probably save 70% or more of the NORMAL injuries from
bicycle accidents.

Looking at statistics from the EU, it seems that about 80% of cycling
injuries presented at the ER, are to body regions other than the head.

How can a new helmet material save 70% of the normal injuries from
bicycle accidents when 80% of the injured don't have a head injury?

Obviously it can not, but the compulsory helmet lobby will have their
circle jerk.

IME, styrofoam and other materials hardens over they years and it would
be very unpopular to enforce an age limit on bicycle helmets.

I still have my MSR "bicycle helmet" and its transitional foam material
now has the consistency of concrete. No amount of woollen beenie can
reduce the head aches that follow from wearing it. The Bell mushroom
isn't as bad, but is similar.

Old March 21st 19, 02:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Wednesday, March 20, 2019 at 7:57:43 PM UTC-4, sms wrote:
On 3/20/2019 2:39 PM, James wrote:
On 21/3/19 3:51 am, wrote:
[...]

There's an article about the new helmet material he
https://www.popsci.com/trek-wavecel-bicycle-helmet-science#page-5. The
key feature is the improved concussion protection.

And as usual, the unspoken assumption behind the article
is that cycling produces so many brain injuries that
cyclists _need_ protection.

Yet any dispassionate examination of the relevant data
shows that cycling is not abnormally risky. Cyclists
comprise only a tiny percentage of serious brain injury
victims, and cycling's benefits far outweigh its tiny
risks.

But that doesn't even slow down the fear mongers.

- Frank Krygowski
Old March 21st 19, 04:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On 21/3/19 3:51 am, wrote:
[...]

But Frank. It's NEW and they say that it is better and everyone knows
that a helmet will save your life. What's not to like?

And $149.99 (plus shipping) for the cheap one and $299.99 for the
better (one assumes) model :-)

--
Cheers,
John B.

Old March 21st 19, 06:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 06:16:41 +0700, John B. Slocomb wrote:

wrote:

On 21/3/19 3:51 am, wrote:
[...]

BUT! It is NEW and only costs a tiny bit more and everyone KNOWS that
helmets save lives!

(and the profit margin is fantastic)

Ignorng the requirement for that 'certification sticker", just how hard
would it be to build your own helmet?

A distorted plastic bowl with a set of straps attached, the linen with a
thick coat of spray foam. it would probably as good as the ones they sell?

Old March 21st 19, 09:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

On 21/3/19 3:51 am, wrote:
[...]

I often wonder just how effective a bicycle helmet is. I have had a nasty fall where the helmet protected my head enough that I was able to continue my ride. Then again, I had a helmet that fell off the handlebar of my bicycle whilst the bicycle was motionless in my apartment and a good size chunk of the helmet broke off from the lower left side edge of the helmet. That makes me wonder.

Then there is this site that I came across just recently. After reading it, it seems that helmets don't meet many expectations. Full URL because many here don't like Tiny URLS.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tanyamo.../#4f36b4ee44e6

Cheers
Old March 21st 19, 02:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Thursday, March 21, 2019 at 4:44:34 AM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

I often wonder just how effective a bicycle helmet is. I have had a nasty fall where the helmet protected my head enough that I was able to continue my ride. Then again, I had a helmet that fell off the handlebar of my bicycle whilst the bicycle was motionless in my apartment and a good size chunk of the helmet broke off from the lower left side edge of the helmet. That makes me wonder.

Then there is this site that I came across just recently. After reading it, it seems that helmets don't meet many expectations. Full URL because many here don't like Tiny URLS.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tanyamo.../#4f36b4ee44e6

There have always been helmets that are more protective
and helmets that are less protective. In the U.S., the
magazine _Consumer Reports_ has tested a selection of
helmets every few years and given them CR's cryptic
ratings for impact protection. (CR uses five different
colored dots or other icons, rather than assigning
a certain number of stars.) It's been very consistent
that the cheapest helmets get the best rating. But
those cheap helmets are thicker and heavier. Helmet
companies slap lots of foam into cheap ones so they
pass government standards without lots of design time.
They spend lots of design time on expensive helmets
to shave weight, allow more holes for cooling etc. while
still (barely) passing the government standard test.

But look at the motivation for their push to improve
bike helmets - that is, aside from their desire to get
people to spend money in hopes that the insurance
companies won't have to:

"More than 800 cyclists were killed in crashes with
motor vehicles in 2016 – the highest number since 1991.
More than half weren’t wearing helmets."

What's the parallel statement for pedestrians? "More than
3500 pedestrians were killed. 99.9% weren't wearing
helmets." Or for motorists: "More than 30,000 were
killed. 99.9% weren't wearing helmets."

Again, the unspoken implication is that riding a bike
is SO DANGEROUS that nobody should ever do it without
first spending money so that your insurance company
might be spared paying for your medical treatment.
Except that every study done on the topic has found that
bicycling's benefits far outweigh its tiny risks.

This "bicycling is dangerous" meme needs to die.

- Frank Krygowski

Rotor material? Joerg[_2_] Techniques 22 October 9th 17 05:23 AM
REFLECTIVE MATERIAL kolldata Techniques 6 September 27th 10 03:55 PM
? lacing a slotted Bontager style hub ? [email protected] Techniques 1 July 13th 08 12:07 AM
Polystyrene: The Wonder Material Just zis Guy, you know? UK 15 May 18th 04 03:07 PM
Best material for frame! Zilla Mountain Biking 7 October 20th 03 02:07 PM