Bicyclist killed, trucker guilty

Old August 26th 04, 02:58 AM

Default Bicyclist killed, trucker guilty

Steinwedel vs. Yuba Trucking
Settlement: $5,000,000
Santa Clara County Superior Court, Case No. CV762894
July 8, 1999
Bicycle / Truck Accident

Jeffrey Steinwedel was a 48 year-old computer engineer who worked
often with the Pentagon and various military installations around the
world. He was riding his bicycle along Stevens Canyon Road [below the
dam] in Cupertino when he was run over and killed by a double-dump
trailer which was trying to pass. When apprehended, the driver of the
truck denied any involvement in the accident.

Mrs. Steinwedel asked O'Reilly, Collins & Danko to investigate. The
Firm immediately obtained a court order preserving the truck as
evidence. Its subsequent inspection of the truck's trailer disclosed
fibers from Mr. Steinwedel's clothing, and paint from his bicycle,
proving that it was indeed the rig which struck Mr. Steinwedel. It
was also clear from the accident reconstruction that there was more
than enough room for the truck driver to safely pass Mr. Steinwedel.
The Firm demonstrated that it was the driver's lack of experience and
training, as well as his lack of concern for a bicycle rider, which
were the sole causes of Mr. Steinwedel's death.

Charges of vehicular manslaughter were brought against the truck
driver. O'Reilly, Collins & Danko worked with the District Attorney
to establish the evidence needed to identify and conclusively prove
that the defendant's driver was indeed the one who had hit
Mr. Steinwedel and that the accident was the driver's fault and not
Mr. Steinwedel's. The driver was ultimately convicted.

After the conviction, O'Reilly, Collins & Danko negotiated settlements
against the driver's employer totaling $5,000,000.

Jobst Brandt

Old August 26th 04, 03:58 AM
Triodelover

Patrick Lamb Wrote:
On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 01:58:03 GMT, 'j' )
Just out of curiosity, how much of the $5,000,000 did the family get,
and how much went to the lawyers? Just out of curiosity, how much would the family have gotten without

the lawyers?

--
Triodelover

Old August 26th 04, 04:26 AM
Fotonature

The amount of work they had to do
to convict this A-hole, would be well
worth the money.
Old August 26th 04, 05:11 AM

Mark Janeba writes:

Steinwedel vs. Yuba Trucking
Settlement: $5,000,000
Santa Clara County Superior Court, Case No. CV762894
July 8, 1999
Bicycle / Truck Accident

[Extensive narrative snipped]

Jobst, is the July 1999 date the date of collision or the date of
settlement? (If the collision is 1999 and the settlement recent news,
then I understand, but if the settlement is 1999, why the posting today?)

Nice to know that there's justice sometimes, though.

The date of the INCEDENT. It was no accident, the term used in the report.

Jobst Brandt

Old August 26th 04, 05:49 AM

Carl Fogel writes:

Steinwedel vs. Yuba Trucking
Settlement: $5,000,000
Santa Clara County Superior Court, Case No. CV762894
July 8, 1999
Bicycle / Truck Accident

[Extensive narrative snipped]

Jobst, is the July 1999 date the date of collision or the date of
settlement? (If the collision is 1999 and the settlement recent
news, then I understand, but if the settlement is 1999, why the
posting today?)

Nice to know that there's justice sometimes, though.

It's not clear even from the lawyer's description:

http://www.oreillylaw.com/personal_injury.htm

(Click on the "steinweidel" tab.)

But this 1999 post::

http://cycling.org/lists/av/archive/...9/937719649000

mentions that Steinwedel was killed in December 1996 and the
driver was convicted of misdemeanor vehicular manslaughter
in September 1999.

And far down on the same page, a 1999 post says that:

"Yuba Trucking Co.'s insurance company recently paid $5 million to
settle a lawsuit brought by Steinwedel's widow."

Jobst has posted before on Steinwedel's death.

and I'm still unclear why this item appeared mow if it was settled in
1999. As you say, the whole thing is unclear. I didn't find the item
I posted, someone who knew I was interested in the outcome sent me the
URL.

Jobst Brandt

Old August 26th 04, 08:25 AM
Hunrobe

The amount of work they had to do
to convict this A-hole, would be well
worth the money.

"They" didn't convict him, a criminal court did. That's even more encouraging
than any monetary award because the driver's company's insurer will pay the
award. He has to do the time though.

Regards,
Bob Hunt