Failed experiment.(Glove recommendation)

Old November 19th 04, 11:54 AM
soup

Default Failed experiment.(Glove recommendation)

Was bright, glorious blue sky and no wind, out
but very cold so decided to put an ordinary pair of
gloves on with my track mitts over the top found after
a mile or so that my hands were going numb (as if bound)
so does any one have a recommendation of a glove with
pads on the palms, am in the Edinburgh area, don't want
to buy online as I am a bit of a Luddite and don't want
to put my credit card details on the net (yes I know it is
as secure as giving the details over the 'phone, don't do
that either) Have had a quick look on the Edinburgh
Bicycle co-operative web site and found that these
gloves do exist but I have never worn them before so
I don't know what ones are "best".
--
yours S

Old November 19th 04, 12:06 PM
Simonb

soup wrote:

I don't know what ones are "best".

The Altura Thermastretch ones are brilliant: padded, grippy and warm. I got
mine at a LBS.

Old November 20th 04, 12:01 AM
druidh

"soup" wrote in message
Was bright, glorious blue sky and no wind, out
but very cold so decided to put an ordinary pair of
gloves on with my track mitts over the top found after
a mile or so that my hands were going numb (as if bound)
so does any one have a recommendation of a glove with
pads on the palms, am in the Edinburgh area, don't want
to buy online as I am a bit of a Luddite and don't want
to put my credit card details on the net (yes I know it is
as secure as giving the details over the 'phone, don't do
that either) Have had a quick look on the Edinburgh
Bicycle co-operative web site and found that these
gloves do exist but I have never worn them before so
I don't know what ones are "best".
--

I bought a pair of Specialized BG Submerge gloves from EBC. Been fine so far
but will get a good test on Sunday as I'm off for a 40-miler and it promises

druidh

Old November 20th 04, 09:02 AM
Monkey Hanger

soup wrote:

Was bright, glorious blue sky and no wind, out
but very cold so decided to put an ordinary pair of
gloves on with my track mitts over the top found after
a mile or so that my hands were going numb (as if bound)
so does any one have a recommendation of a glove with
pads on the palms, am in the Edinburgh area, don't want
to buy online as I am a bit of a Luddite and don't want
to put my credit card details on the net (yes I know it is
as secure as giving the details over the 'phone, don't do
that either) Have had a quick look on the Edinburgh
Bicycle co-operative web site and found that these
gloves do exist but I have never worn them before so
I don't know what ones are "best".

I got my gloves from a shop rather than off the Internet. They are Gore
windstopper mitts. The finger cover is retractable as is the thumb so when
they get far too warm you can uncover your digits to cool off a little. I
rarely use them unless there is a lot of frost about as they are generally
too warm even with the digits exposed.

--
Chris
Old November 20th 04, 09:47 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 11:54:08 GMT, "soup" wrote in
message :

Was bright, glorious blue sky and no wind, out
but very cold so decided to put an ordinary pair of
gloves on with my track mitts over the top found after
a mile or so that my hands were going numb (as if bound)
so does any one have a recommendation of a glove with
pads on the palms,

In really cold weather, lobster claw gloves are the business. I rode
home yesterday wearing Sealskinz gloves which are brilliant in wet
weather but after 25 miles of near-freezing temperatures I had lost
contact with my fingers, so I will be looking out the lobsters for
next week.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old November 20th 04, 11:27 PM
Chris Bardell

"soup" wrote in news:A9lnd.10342$Y7.7768
@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

Was bright, glorious blue sky and no wind, out
but very cold so decided to put an ordinary pair of
gloves on with my track mitts over the top found after
a mile or so that my hands were going numb (as if bound)
so does any one have a recommendation of a glove with
pads on the palms

Really like my Chiba Wind Protects. Bought them specifically because of
the pad on the 'heel' of the hand (I ride flat-bars & the pad is in just
the right place).

Quick Google finds a picture...
http://www.oldhamcyclecentre.co.uk/en-gb/dept_152.html (scroll right
down)

Bought mine at an LBS in Norwich.

--
Chris Bardell
[Remove favourite mode of transport from email address]
Old November 22nd 04, 06:48 PM
Martin Bulmer

In ,
soup wrote:
Was bright, glorious blue sky and no wind, out
but very cold so decided to put an ordinary pair of
gloves on with my track mitts over the top found after
a mile or so that my hands were going numb (as if bound)
so does any one have a recommendation of a glove with
pads on the palms, am in the Edinburgh area, don't want
to buy online as I am a bit of a Luddite and don't want
to put my credit card details on the net (yes I know it is
as secure as giving the details over the 'phone, don't do
that either) Have had a quick look on the Edinburgh
Bicycle co-operative web site and found that these
gloves do exist but I have never worn them before so
I don't know what ones are "best".

2 pairs of thin, cheap knitted gloves, worn inside suede & cotton(?)
gardening gloves, or "work" gloves, keep my fingers toasty in sub-zero,
while my companions in their expensive cycling gloves are losing contact
with their digits. Pretty good in the wet, also, as although the water gets
through eventually, it's pretty warm by the time it gets there. That doesn't
often happen though, as I use a proper cape that covers the bars, and covers
my hands. No good if you're trying to go fast though.
--

Martin Bulmer

LBS Recommendation in So. Cal. Les Techniques 4 November 30th 04 06:06 PM
Saddle recommendation Yum Techniques 53 October 25th 04 12:46 AM
Saddle recommendation Yum Techniques 0 October 12th 04 04:06 PM
Bike lock advise and recommendation David Techniques 2 November 13th 03 12:31 AM