Bike Boxes

Old January 2nd 05, 06:28 PM
Robberg

Default Bike Boxes

Hi.

Does anyone have any experience regarding the availability of bike boxes
when leaving Frankfurt.

Thanks.

Kevin & Dianne Hughes.

Old January 3rd 05, 10:26 PM
Chuck Anderson

Robberg wrote:

Hi.

Does anyone have any experience regarding the availability of bike boxes
when leaving Frankfurt.

Thanks.

Kevin & Dianne Hughes.

Here's a web site that might be able to help:
http://www.bikeaccess.net/

Do you want to get bike boxes at the airport or from a bike shop? How
about your airline, what do they say? Are you bringing bike boxes to
Germany with you (if so, one possibly is to leave them with someone -
like a B&B you stay in upon arrival and perhaps again the night before
departure).

I have no direct experience with any airports in Germany (but I have
cycled across Germany and read stayed other people's reports). I'm sure
that you'll be able to get boxes at either a bike shop or from one of
the airlines (I think KLM and/or Lufthansa can help you out, regardless
of who you are flying with).

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO
Old January 7th 05, 05:19 AM
Gary K.

You can't be guaranteed that the airline will have a box for you. Even
when you call them the day before and they say they do and then a few
hours before the flight and they say they do...but when I got there they
said they didn't. It's best if you depart from the same city you arrive
at and have the hotel on the first night store the box for you and stay
there your last night.

-Gary

Old January 7th 05, 08:14 PM
Michael Tordoff

"Gary K." wrote :

You can't be guaranteed that the airline will have a box for you. Even
when you call them the day before and they say they do and then a few
hours before the flight and they say they do...but when I got there they
said they didn't. [snip]

So...what did you do? Ditch the bike or miss the flight?

Old January 8th 05, 03:51 AM
toa

Gary K. Wrote:
It was in London,last year. The airline scrambled to find a box and got
one from another airline. I packed my bike, checked it in and they
closed the doors to the plane as I got on. I didn't have a plan B so
was glad it worked out.
Definitely get your own hardshell bikebox!

I got one like this, requires a bit of disassembly but no hassle IMO

http://www.bikebuster.com/shop/nf_in.../varenr/280002

--
toa

Old January 10th 05, 06:42 PM

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 20:28:43 +0200, "Robberg"
wrote:

Hi.

Does anyone have any experience regarding the availability of bike boxes
when leaving Frankfurt.

Thanks.

Kevin & Dianne Hughes.

You can get boxes in the Frankfurt airport (one floor below the
departure level near the baggage claim). Unfortunately... they don't
come cheap. We were charged 30 Euros for each box (summer 2002).

In 2003 we kept the plastic bags used on our outbound flight. For us
this worked much better.

..../Mark