Brooks Saddle Problem

Old August 6th 05, 02:07 PM
Charles

Default Brooks Saddle Problem

I just purchased a new Brooks B17 Champion and have ridden it several
hundred miles. I notice that, as it is breaking in, the depression on
one side is much deeper than the other. This is where the sit bones
meet the saddle.

This is my second Brooks saddle and the first one ended up with roughly
equal depressions.

Is it possible that the leather was stretched too tightly on one side
during construction?

Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Charles

Old August 6th 05, 03:05 PM
41

Charles wrote:
I just purchased a new Brooks B17 Champion and have ridden it several
hundred miles. I notice that, as it is breaking in, the depression on
one side is much deeper than the other. This is where the sit bones
meet the saddle.

This is my second Brooks saddle and the first one ended up with roughly
equal depressions.

Is it possible that the leather was stretched too tightly on one side
during construction?

I don't see how. If you look at your saddle, you will see that the real
stretching is fore-aft, not side to side. It is free sideways except at
the brace at the very back.

I suppose it's possible that the leather is substantially thinner on
one side. This should be easy enough to check with a caliper. It's also
possible that you have had some injury or other biomechanical change
since your previous saddle that is causing you to sit asymmetrically.

Another possibility is that the depressions are more symmetrical than
they look. "Much deeper"? Those depressions don't get very deep as the
saddle is breaking in. After the saddle has nearly stretched out, sure,
but not in the first few hundred miles. How much do you weigh?

Old August 6th 05, 03:10 PM
RonSonic

On 6 Aug 2005 06:07:51 -0700, "Charles" wrote:

I just purchased a new Brooks B17 Champion and have ridden it several
hundred miles. I notice that, as it is breaking in, the depression on
one side is much deeper than the other. This is where the sit bones
meet the saddle.

This is my second Brooks saddle and the first one ended up with roughly
equal depressions.

Is it possible that the leather was stretched too tightly on one side
during construction?

Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Are you open to jests regarding the shape, symmetry and/or completeness of your
ass?

Ron

Old August 6th 05, 03:22 PM
Charles

I don't see how. If you look at your saddle, you will see that the real
stretching is fore-aft, not side to side. It is free sideways except at
the brace at the very back.

I suppose it's possible that the leather is substantially thinner on
one side. This should be easy enough to check with a caliper. It's also
possible that you have had some injury or other biomechanical change
since your previous saddle that is causing you to sit asymmetrically.

Another possibility is that the depressions are more symmetrical than
they look. "Much deeper"? Those depressions don't get very deep as the
saddle is breaking in. After the saddle has nearly stretched out, sure,
but not in the first few hundred miles. How much do you weigh?

Thanks for the thoughts. Your comment on the leather stretching fore
to aft certainly makes sense.

I weigh 160 pounds so I am definitely not a heavyweight. The only
other change I made on the bike was taking off my SPD-SL pedals and
replacing them with Speedplay Frogs. But, I don't see how that could
have any impact.

Also, I have had no injury during the time since I have been riding
Brooks saddles.

Still mystified,

CHarles

Old August 6th 05, 04:38 PM
mark

"41"wrote...

Charles wrote:
[...]

FWIW, the Brooks Colt on my tourer has the assymetrical depressions
described by the OP, while the B17 on my mountain bike/winter commuter has
broken in in a fairly symmetrical pattern. Both saddles are quite
comfortable, so I haven't lost too much sleep over the issue. I suspect that
"41" is correct, that the saddle leather is a bit thinner / more elastic in
one spot than on the rest of the saddle. I can't really tell when I'm riding
the bike, so I don't see much to worry about.
--
mark

Old August 7th 05, 02:12 AM

Same thing happen with my B17 but after a couple more hundrend miles
the impressions were about the same. I think one side just broke in a
little faster than the other.

Wayne

Old August 7th 05, 12:02 PM
Charles

Thanks to all.

It is good to know that others had similar scenarios and that it
appears to be no longterm concern.

Charles

Old August 8th 05, 07:39 PM
Rollensmoothe

wrote:

I just purchased a new Brooks B17 Champion and have ridden it several
hundred miles. I notice that, as it is breaking in, the depression on
one side is much deeper than the other. This is where the sit bones
meet the saddle.

This is my second Brooks saddle and the first one ended up with roughly
equal depressions.

Is it possible that the leather was stretched too tightly on one side
during construction?

Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Charles

-------

Two suggestions:

1. Ya rubbed excess proofide on the side with deeper depression
(perhaps underneath, too). Rub sommore on the stiff side.

2. Get yer ass kicked on the side of deep depression.

Old August 11th 05, 06:10 PM
Bob in CT

On 6 Aug 2005 07:22:37 -0700, Charles wrote:

[...]

My (both my) Brooks are indented more to the left. For some reason, I'm
favoring my left.

--
Bob in CT