"Strange" object attached to downtube

Old August 9th 05, 07:33 PM
Dirtroadie

Default "Strange" object attached to downtube

Alex Rodriguez wrote:

I want some. How much for a three tires worth?

If you are willing to accept the "heated" version, by just doing a
quick search in this group or rec.bicycles.racing for "helmet" you will
find large quantities which can be downloaded for free.

DR

Old August 10th 05, 03:08 AM
Bob the Cow

"V-Mook" wrote in message
oups.com...

What is that cylindrical object attached to the downtube of Bobet's
bike?

For a brief time, Schwinn Varsity models such as the one pictured came with
an optional pipe-bomb cage.

Old August 10th 05, 06:48 AM

On 9 Aug 2005 06:50:37 -0700, "Dirtroadie"

N2 has the slight advantage of being much less soluble than
CO2 in rubber, so it wouldn't lose pressure as fast as tubes
filled with CO2, but unlike CO2 it wasn't a liquid at the
usable pressure and temperature, so the cylinders were much
larger.

Although 100% nitrogen may have its advantages, I have had great
success with a carefully tailored mixture of 78% nitrogen for filling
tires. Use of this compound has resulted in the lowest rolling
resistance that I have been able to perceive. I have noticed that
sometimes merely topping up a tire with the mixture will lower its
apparent rolling resistance dramatically. I began using this mixture
quite some time ago when I seredipitously stumbled upon an inexpensive
source which I believe will serve my needs for at least the next ten
years and probably longer.

I must confess that I have been so pleased with the effectiveness of
the 78% nitrogen mixture that I have not attempted to determine whether
some other percentage such as 75% or 80% might be better, but I suspect
that, in any case, 78% is the sweet spot of the performance/cost curve.

DR

Dear DR,

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...e=source&hl=en

Carl Fogel
Old August 10th 05, 04:24 PM
Paul

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 21:08:37 -0500, "Bob the Cow" wrote:

"V-Mook" wrote in message
roups.com...

What is that cylindrical object attached to the downtube of Bobet's
bike?

For a brief time, Schwinn Varsity models such as the one pictured came with
an optional pipe-bomb cage.

Yes, but that was only for the Irish models.

Paul
Old August 11th 05, 02:07 AM
Dirtroadie

wrote:
On 9 Aug 2005 06:50:37 -0700, "Dirtroadie"
Dear DR,

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...e=source&hl=en

ummm..., err..., uhhhhh...
OK, maybe you missed my point.
Never mind.
DR

Old August 11th 05, 04:18 AM

On 10 Aug 2005 18:07:05 -0700, "Dirtroadie"

On 9 Aug 2005 06:50:37 -0700, "Dirtroadie"
Dear DR,

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...e=source&hl=en

ummm..., err..., uhhhhh...
OK, maybe you missed my point.
Never mind.
DR

Dear DR,

Maybe you missed mine. Google a bit for why nitrogen is used
in tires and you'll soon come up with differences between
80% N2 and what they were using.

Airily,

Carl Fogel