Perth Freeway BikeHike Prang Video

Old March 19th 07, 10:40 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

Default Perth Freeway BikeHike Prang Video

DeF wrote:

I agree with some of your sentiment though. I thought there was
some pretty aggressive and selfish riding going on in the fast
bunches. The main reason I was were I was in the pack was that
there'd been some scary moments earlier (see other thread on the
bikehike) with locked brakes etc. This was the first ride I've
been on where I've smelt burning rubber!

At least in this case the fast aggressive bunches were in the
clear and not mixing it with slower less experienced riders.
The same cannot be said for the fast and aggressive bunches
that do the Round the River Sat and Sun mornings in Perth,
especially along the Freeway bike path.

The basic problem is that young blokes in packs very often
act like dickheads. I should know, I've been one.

I sometimes wonder whether these events don't give the public a bad image of
cyclists. I've been on a few in the past, the Tunnel opening, several round
the bridges, etc. and don't wish to go on any more. If this is an example of
how riders behave in dense bicycle traffic, thank goodness most people drive
cars. If all these people rode bikes to work every day the road toll would
soar.
shakes head sadly.

Theo

Old March 19th 07, 10:42 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

Gumby wrote:
gplama wrote:
wtf? Did anyone stop to help? I'm sure there were people behind who
did but that vid doesn't give the rest of the pack (or the ride) a
very good image from my stand point.

Happy to be corrected!

Haven't seen the TdF stop for a prang very often so perhaps you may
want to lay blame there.

Maybe you want to actually say what your standpoint is?

1. It wasn't the TdF.
2. There was no $M prize at the end.

Theo

Old March 19th 07, 11:27 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Tue, 20 Mar 2007 07:40:57 +0900
Theo Bekkers wrote:

I sometimes wonder whether these events don't give the public a bad image of
cyclists. I've been on a few in the past, the Tunnel opening, several round
the bridges, etc. and don't wish to go on any more. If this is an example of
how riders behave in dense bicycle traffic, thank goodness most people drive
cars. If all these people rode bikes to work every day the road toll would
soar.

and you a veteran of lots of Phillip Island traffic horrors!

It's people in packs. Any kind of pack. Two wheeled ones are
particularly bad because most are used to being the fast moving mammal
in the herd of slow moving predictabe dinosaurs. And when they get in
their own herd they keep the same habits of darting about assuming
they are the fastest most manouverable thing there.

At the Island you have to have eyes in your arse, I'd expect any place
where there's a lot of "normally the only bicycle there" riders would
be the same.

Zebee
Old March 19th 07, 11:57 PM posted to aus.bicycle
DeF

Friday wrote:
DeF wrote:
From an earlier thread:
http://homepage.mac.com/duncan.farro...eTheater1.html

Couldn't get youtube to work but the above did.

Enjoy!

DeF.

Looks like the red and blue riders got too close and tangled. Hard to
say who's at fault though.

Friday

Yeah, I've gone through it frame by frame and I think if anyone
is to blame, it's the rider on tri-bars (two bidons behind seat).
He swerves too the right just ahead of the blue topped rider that
goes down. Even then, there may have been someone in front of
him that did something silly. And even then, if you don't know
the people you're riding with, you should be giving them some
space! (Hands up as guilty of not doing that....).

DeF.

--
e-mail: d.farrow@your finger.murdoch.edu.au
To reply, you'll have to remove your finger.
Old March 20th 07, 12:57 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

Zebee Johnstone wrote:
Theo Bekkers wrote:

I sometimes wonder whether these events don't give the public a bad
image of cyclists. I've been on a few in the past, the Tunnel
opening, several round the bridges, etc. and don't wish to go on any
more. If this is an example of how riders behave in dense bicycle
traffic, thank goodness most people drive cars. If all these people
rode bikes to work every day the road toll would soar.

and you a veteran of lots of Phillip Island traffic horrors!

And thirty Charity Rides.

It's people in packs. Any kind of pack. Two wheeled ones are
particularly bad because most are used to being the fast moving mammal
in the herd of slow moving predictabe dinosaurs. And when they get in
their own herd they keep the same habits of darting about assuming
they are the fastest most manouverable thing there.

At the Island you have to have eyes in your arse, I'd expect any place
where there's a lot of "normally the only bicycle there" riders would
be the same.

Yes. It does show that the 'urban bicycle cowboy' attitude needs some
modification before we can all take to the roads at once.

Theo

Old March 20th 07, 08:53 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2007-03-19, DeF (aka Bruce)
Friday wrote:
DeF wrote:
From an earlier thread:
http://homepage.mac.com/duncan.farro...eTheater1.html

Couldn't get youtube to work but the above did.

Enjoy!

Looks like the red and blue riders got too close and tangled. Hard to
say who's at fault though.

Yeah, I've gone through it frame by frame and I think if anyone
is to blame, it's the rider on tri-bars (two bidons behind seat).

Tri bars in a bunch?

That's a stoning offence straight away.

He swerves too the right just ahead of the blue topped rider that
goes down. Even then, there may have been someone in front of
him that did something silly.

Not necessarily, if you apply the standard stereotype!

--
TimC
"`Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.'" -THHGTTG
Old March 20th 07, 11:41 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

On Mar 20, 8:40 am, "Theo Bekkers" wrote:
DeF wrote:
[...]

Theo- Hide quoted text -

Yes, imagine if all those bloody red-light runners were in cars, so
they could actually do some damage! (oh that's right, drivers do that
too). shakes head with Theo

Donga

Old March 20th 07, 02:28 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Gumby

Theo Bekkers wrote:
Gumby wrote:
gplama wrote:
wtf? Did anyone stop to help? I'm sure there were people behind who
did but that vid doesn't give the rest of the pack (or the ride) a
very good image from my stand point.

Happy to be corrected!

Haven't seen the TdF stop for a prang very often so perhaps you may
want to lay blame there.

Maybe you want to actually say what your standpoint is?

1. It wasn't the TdF.
2. There was no $M prize at the end.

Theo

go away theo who asked you
Old March 20th 07, 02:29 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Gumby

Theo Bekkers wrote:
Zebee Johnstone wrote:
Theo Bekkers wrote:

[...]

too much time on a MOTORbike and not enuff on a bike
Old March 21st 07, 12:49 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Dave

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 19:53:26 +1100, TimC wrote:

Tri bars

That's a stoning offence straight away.

IFYP

--
Dave Hughes |
"When cryptography is outlawed, bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir cevinpl."

Perth Freeway Bike Hike DeF Australia 6 March 22nd 07 01:48 AM
Sunday Mail report on nasty prang in Perth DeF Australia 73 November 23rd 06 08:15 AM
Perth Freeway Bike Hike SteveA Australia 4 December 15th 05 06:37 AM
Perth Freeway bike path Duncan Farrow Australia 1 May 13th 05 03:47 PM
Perth Freeway Bike Hike Duncan Farrow Australia 67 March 23rd 05 08:05 AM