Tech talk. Copenhagen wheel video.

Old December 19th 13, 12:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Tech talk. Copenhagen wheel video.

On Wednesday, December 18, 2013 7:03:51 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wednesday, December 18, 2013 4:53:26 PM UTC-5, James wrote:

On 19/12/13 08:01, AMuzi wrote:

8 degrees F for my predawn ride today.

I'll take any Global Warming you aren't using right now.

You can take some from here.

--

JS

November, this is searchable in GooNews, was warmest Nov on record or second. USA and 3-4 others areas were an anomalous.

Florida takes in abt 4-500,000 retirees/year....add all warm clime retirement areas then 10-20% buy a bicycle. Of that number figure 10% with a CW or more if we see a hulahoop/IPLOD hysteria.

Butbutbut...who builds the wheel ? more French micro switchery ? kerosene in the milk ?

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

BTW $700 is peanuts
Old December 19th 13, 12:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

BTW $700 is peanuts

for retirees moving south and buying new bicycles.
Old December 19th 13, 02:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Wes Groleau[_2_]

On 12-18-2013, 15:48, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Regarding "any cyclists," yes I think there will be some. There really are people who prefer not to sweat. There are also dedicated "early adopters" who will buy almost anything that interfaces with their smart phone. But at $700 each I think popularity will remain low - maybe as low as the Segway. You know, that thing that was going to change the face of city transportation, or some such hype.

The FlyKly looks like it might run about $500.

Still too much for me.

--
Wes Groleau

ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI

Old December 19th 13, 02:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

might run about $500.

how long does it run ?

$700 ?

how long how long ?

there's a joke here

Howlong sez, 'Ahso, you read warrantee no ? "
Old December 19th 13, 02:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, December 19, 2013 9:22:24 AM UTC-5, wrote:
might run about $500.

how long does it run ?

$700 ?

how long how long ?

there's a joke here

Howlong sez, 'Ahso, you read warrantee no ? "

now there's an idea worth pursuing..

free service, money back, unlimited mileage, 3days4nights in Costa Rica....

Old December 19th 13, 10:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Cimperman

On 12/18/2013 2:48 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Wednesday, December 18, 2013 3:40:14 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/18/2013 11:43 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Interesting concept.

Wonder if it'll catch on with roadies or performance oriented bicyclists?

Video here.
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/video/super...061307951.html

Gets a lot of promotion lately but I wonder why any cyclist
would want one? I surely do not.

To the point of 'cheaper than a real moped', OK I get that.
Good luck to the makers.

The technology's kind of interesting. But I really doubt that roadies will be interested.

Regarding "any cyclists," yes I think there will be some. There really are people who prefer not to sweat. There are also dedicated "early adopters" who will buy almost anything that interfaces with their smart phone. But at $700 each I think popularity will remain low - maybe as low as the Segway. You know, that thing that was going to change the face of city transportation, or some such hype.

We'll see, I guess.

- Frank Krygowski

I don't find the Copenhagen wheel to be particularly interesting. It
doesn't discount the concept however.

Once upon a time a million years ago, the idea of motorized bicycles was
common sense. Many people still couldn't afford cars or motorcycles, so
you would use a regular bicycle when you wanted the exercise and a
motorized bicycle when you needed to get somewhere and /didn't/ want the
exercise.

Nowadays the concept of motorized bicycles is viewed with legislative
contempt and bicyclist-enthusiast disgust. So much so that motorized
bicycles are saddled with discriminatory laws not even attempted on
other more-popular forms of transportation.

Electric engines only is one example. 20-mph speed limits is another.
The aim seems to be to discourage interest entirely.
Old December 19th 13, 11:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 20/12/13 09:47, Doug Cimperman wrote:
[...]

Yes, because authorities need to pigeon hole a vehicle into motor or
human powered. They make concessions to allow for weak motors to assist
human power up to a specific limit, then it becomes motor vehicle and
needs to be registered and you need a license. This is obviously
because the risk you pose to yourself and others increases dramatically
when you exceed 250W or 25km/h. Oops - I do that regularly with my
human power. Should I need to be registered for road use?

https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/ge...-riding/10607/

--
JS
Old December 20th 13, 03:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Thursday, December 19, 2013 6:02:52 PM UTC-5, James wrote:
[...]

It's going to get really interesting as the technology progresses. What will happen when it's impossible to tell whether a bike is power assisted or not? Remember a year or two ago, when some racer was accused of having a hidden battery and electric motor in his frame tubes? Whether or not that's possible now, it will be possible at some point fairly soon.

Imagine it being legal to go 25 mph on a human powered bike, but illegal to do the same on a bike that appears to be identical.

- Frank Krygowski

Old December 20th 13, 03:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 16:47:50 -0600, Doug Cimperman
wrote:

[...]

But electric power for bicycles, or small internal combustion motor
power, has been available for many years (generations) with no
significant impact. The French "Vilosolax" was first sold in 1946 and
is still marketed (I think). More than 8,000,000 were sold, mainly in
Europe but also manufactured under license elsewhere.

There was also a further development of electric power with a
"Solexity" which was an electric assist (with speed up to 25 KPH) and
a E-Solax which could reach 35 KPH and had a range of 40 Km.

The U.S. Whizzer bike motor and later complete bicycle/motor was first
sold in 1939 and continued in business till about 2009 (now said to be
in temporary hiatus).

It is not breathlessly new technology :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old December 20th 13, 04:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/video/super...61307951..html

[...]

I wonder when someone will adapt the CW to pwer accessories instead of the elwctric assist motor?

Cheers