powder coating aluminum frames

Old July 16th 07, 07:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
zencycle

Default powder coating aluminum frames

I was recently asked a question - do the high temperatures in the
powder coating process adversely affect the characteristics of the
alloys used in aluminum frames?

I seem to remember seeing powder coated Al frames on the market,
though I can't recall any specific examples. It seems to me that you
would need much higher temperatures than typical powder coating
(400degF) to cause any damage to the tubes, but there are MFRs of
engine parts that recommend against powder coating the alloys used in
their products.

Any ideas?

Old July 16th 07, 11:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Jul 16, 1:45 pm, zencycle wrote:
I was recently asked a question - do the high temperatures in the
powder coating process adversely affect the characteristics of the
alloys used in aluminum frames?

Possibly. Some aluminum extrusions I worked with showed unacceptable
degradation of alignment after going through powder coating. We
checked with a CMM before and after, a batch of 50 parts.

I seem to remember seeing powder coated Al frames on the market,
though I can't recall any specific examples. It seems to me that you
would need much higher temperatures than typical powder coating
(400degF) to cause any damage to the tubes, but there are MFRs of
engine parts that recommend against powder coating the alloys used in
their products.

Any ideas?

We turned down the temperature and tolerated the distortion. I always
worried about the structural properties, but the parts passed fatigue
testing. That's not the same as saying they were "as good as" the
anodized version, though...

Old July 18th 07, 08:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rocky

were those extrusions heat treated before?

I thought that heat treating of a typical aluminum alloy used in a bike
frame was done at something like 1600 F.

ups.com...

Old July 20th 07, 12:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Booker C. Bense[_49_]

In article .com,
zencycle wrote:
I was recently asked a question - do the high temperatures in the
powder coating process adversely affect the characteristics of the
alloys used in aluminum frames?

I seem to remember seeing powder coated Al frames on the market,
though I can't recall any specific examples. It seems to me that you
would need much higher temperatures than typical powder coating
(400degF) to cause any damage to the tubes, but there are MFRs of
engine parts that recommend against powder coating the alloys used in
their products.

Any ideas?

Velocity sells a lot of powder coated Aluminum alloy rims.

_ Booker C. Bense

powder coating question ajgreig Unicycling 5 February 10th 07 06:07 PM
Strip Powder Coating Andrew F Martin Techniques 7 April 8th 06 05:31 PM
powder coating x1psh1x Unicycling 8 March 27th 06 06:22 PM
Powder coating a hub ntappin Unicycling 7 February 22nd 06 08:05 PM
Powder Coating Cost thayr Unicycling 5 March 17th 05 08:48 AM