30 miles and I can still walk!

Old September 14th 07, 12:48 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
cathwood

Default 30 miles and I can still walk!

And more importantly, sit down.

Here's the story:

In my quest to increase my mileage on my N36 I made a plan. I was going
to ride 30 miles (7 miles further than my previous longest ride)
yesterday. I almost didn't manage to do it as my husband threatened to
make an appointment with the electricians to come round in the morning
to fix our lights, but I had a strop and managed to get him to put them
off until this morning.

So yesterday was glorious - sunny (but not too hot) and little wind. My
plan was to ride 30 miles along a nearly local bike path. I used my new
camel bak L.U.X.E, which was great - fitted my stuff in really well and
fit nicely.

The bike path was lovely - half of the ride was along the side of a
river and the other half was through the countryside.

Nobody asked my where my other wheel was, although people were curious
and rode along beside me chatting now and again. One (slightly sadistic
guy I thought) rode along for a couple of miles because he wanted to
see how I was going to manage the steep hill/bridge that we were coming
to. I thought that I would flunk it because it was my 27th mile, but I
didn't. The guy was very impressed because he couldn't make the hill -
either up or down on his fixie.

It took me four and a quarter hours.
Moving average speed was 8.5 mph (but that included 'crotch' walking
and getting through numerous barriers to stop cars getting on the
path). The guys that rode beside me said I was consistently riding at
10mph.
I did exactly 30 miles.

And I wasn't crippled when I got home. I did a mixture of pressing on
the kH handle to get my weight off the saddle, sanding on my pedals for
30 secs every 2 songs (I don't have a beepy type watch that I can set
for every 5 mins) and the occassional crotch break (although I only had
to stop four or five times on purpose to rest because I had to get off
so often for the gates).

Anyway, it was a great ride. I'm very pleased and plan to do it again
as soon as I have time.

|Filename: IMG_1577 (Small).JPG |

cathwood

Cathy
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 14th 07, 12:52 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
norry

Well done Cathy, That bike path looks like a lovely way to clock up the
mileage. I'm loving your purple pedal protectors as well.

--
norry

my latest muni ride report [ 'here'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61385) ]
*buc14 video competition entry - 3rd place british* [
[color=\"red\"]'video'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60020) ]
london uk uni meet 06 [ 'video '
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54700) ]
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 14th 07, 01:26 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
semach.the.monkey

cathwood wrote:

In my quest to increase my mileage on my N36 I made a plan. I was going
to ride 30 miles (7 miles further than my previous longest ride)
yesterday.

Well done Cathy. I'm proud of ya!

Now I'm just looking forward to your ride report when you do a 40 miler

By the way, I thought you had a T7 on your N36. That increases the
comfort a hell of a lot.

STM

--
semach.the.monkey
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 14th 07, 01:38 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
redwelly

Nice one Cathy! It's a good feeling to set out for a new personal
record and succeed. Most people would be impressed by a fourty mile
ride on a bike! Shame about the anti-car barriers getting in your way,
though I guess they also make for handy saddle-breaks

Sam

--
redwelly
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 14th 07, 03:01 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
cathwood

Well, thank you all.

semach.the.monkey wrote:

By the way, I thought you had a T7 on your N36. That increases the
comfort a hell of a lot.

STM

I do usually have a T7 but it went back to Roger for re-insertion of
screw-in-things for the bottle brackets. Actually it came back that
morning but I decided it would take too long to put it back on and I
was going to just go for it without the handle. Just one more reason
I'm pleased with myself - I did it sans the T7.

--
cathwood

Cathy
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 14th 07, 03:21 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Into the blue

Nice one Cathy.
The countryside looks idyllic.

--
Into the blue

\"alright you primitive screwheads, listen up! you see this? this... is
my boom stick!\"
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 14th 07, 03:41 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
harper

Cathy! You go, girl! Impressive distance (wish I could go thirty.) Your
photos show pretty, peaceful scenery; it must have been a delightful
ride. Too bad there are none of the victor. Good show on showing up the
sadistic fixie rider. Thanks for the write-up.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

http://www.usenet.com
Old September 14th 07, 03:58 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
BillyTheMountain

Way to go, Cathy!!

Billy

--
BillyTheMountain

Google "Shock Doctrine/Naomi Klein'. It's on YouTube.
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 14th 07, 06:17 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Harley

Great job. Four + hours of riding is plenty for one day.

--
Harley

Always remember: With patience and perseverance you can **** a hole
through a rock.
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 14th 07, 07:18 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
domesticated ape

Well done Cathy! Do they not do Camelbaks in lilac then?

--
domesticated ape
http://www.usenet.com