What do you wear when it starts getting cold?

Old December 24th 08, 10:17 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
1-wheeled-grape

Default What do you wear when it starts getting cold?

yeah, it cant have been much colder than that. it will most likely never
go below -5 here. The lamp post was covered in ice, and my glove was a
bit wet. After leaning on it drinking a coke for a couple minuted my
glove had to be ripped off lol.

--
1-wheeled-grape

*this signature is pointless... do not **even bother reading it, it
would be a waste of time

you wasted your time didn't you?
*
*"You must have shot an awefull lot of tigers sir"
"Yes... I used a machine gun!"
* *
**
*
Old December 24th 08, 11:22 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
hobo_chuck

1-wheeled-grape;1157216 wrote:
yeah, it cant have been much colder than that. it will most likely never
go below -5 here. The lamp post was covered in ice, and my glove was a
bit wet. After leaning on it drinking a coke for a couple minuted my
glove had to be ripped off lol.

Ah, that would do it.

You realize that most people don't get frozen to things unless it
happens nearly instantly, right?

--
hobo_chuck

__i_wear_a_skateboard_helmet_over_a_bike_helmet_
-~catinabag1-
Old December 25th 08, 12:50 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Ducttape

Connahhh;1137416 wrote:
Yesterday it was 25 degrees out. The last thing I wanted to do was go
out and unicycle, but at the same time, it was the only thing I wanted
to do. I'm sure you can relate!

When it gets cold, how do you guys suit up? I had sweatpants,
windbreaker pants, a sweatshirt and gloves on. That was about 45 minutes
of trials and SIF practice (both generate more heat than regular
riding). Do you guys layer? Heavy jackets for commuting? What?

shorts and a t-shirt with a zip-up hoodie for all riding, shin guards
for trials, street, and Muni. If i get hot off comes the hoodie. if it's
raining and I'm commuting I'll wear a rain resistant jacket over the
hoodie and some light weight cycling rain pants over my shorts. if it's
cold/raining I'll wear some lightweight wind/water proof full fingered
cycling gloves.

--
Ducttape

'-*buy my shirts*-'
(www.zazzle.com/ducttapesunicycle*)
'*watch my videos*'
(http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ducttapesunicycle)
'*uniman comics*'
'*original thread for uniman*'
*'sigged quotes' (http://tinyurl.com/29b744)*
Old January 4th 09, 08:28 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
uninorcal

I wear a sweat shirt for about 5 minutes and then I take it off cause I
get to hot and I ride in like 11 degree weather. However, it is wise to
wear some gloves.

--
uninorcal

"Don't judge me monkey"

Cheers Mate
Old January 5th 09, 07:14 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tumbles

I have a ton of biking gear for my winter mountain and road collection
to choose from. I like just putting on the long biking pants under some
cargo shorts and I grab my thermal winter biking jacket which is really
thin, but warm (under that I just wear a t-shirt). I find that less is
more and will typically get hot fast even in really cold weather with
all the thermal stuff on. I tried wearing long pants but i just kept
getting them stuck on the pedals, so I go with shorts no matter what. I
think once you get going even in sweats and a hoodie you'll warm up, but
key items, gloves and ear warmers!

--
tumbles
Old January 5th 09, 09:06 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
CrazyChrisVT

I have a bunch of clothing that I wear for both Uni and MTBing. I just
put the studded tire on my uni but haven't been out yet. I have been
out on the MTB a few times on the ice...

This past weekend a friend and I went out to the end of the Causeway,
an old railroad bridge out across a Lake Champlain bay that has been
converted into a bike path. The bay side always freezes early, but the
open water side takes longer. Storms cause alot of wave action over the
path, so the path ends up covered with a thick layer of bumpy ice.

That day was beautiful but about 20F with a strong nasty crosswind.

Attached is a pix of me in my gear:
long bike tights,
winter snow pants,
rockgardn knee/leg pads (good for ice falls and keeping pants away from
cranks),
sorel snowpak boots (warm),
medium thickness socks,
long sleeved t-shirt,
fleece vest
thin green jacket with hood,
helmet beanie,
scarf,
helmet,
ski goggles (didn't have them on in the pic, but I did just after),
ski gloves (but revert to leather w/ liner if not that windy out),
and a rain coat for a wind breaker.

I was warm, for the most part!

I have water bladder equiped pack too, but in the winter I take the
bladder and store it in a special bag in the back of my fleece vest,
then put the green jacket and rain coat on over it, then the regular
pack over that. Cumbersome but it prevents the bladder from freezing.

I think the keys are 1) layers, 2) wind protection, 3) gloves and
boots.

|Filename: IMG_3664_small.JPG |

CrazyChrisVT
Old January 11th 09, 06:55 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tomblackwood

Yeah, there's cold, and then there's 'this woman's cold'
(http://arcticglass.blogspot.com/).

Okay, so she's on two wheels instead of one, but she is Seriously
Hardcore. This blog is really a great read...up there in the Aspen Mike
category.

--
tomblackwood

Tailgate at your own risk...
Old January 11th 09, 10:29 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unicycledood

When it starts getting cold in New Zealand....... I ride harder.

And sometimes keep my shirt on.

--
unicycledood

The.Mars.Volta wrote:
haha, so young, yet so angry, damn that rap music.