Titanium Hub?

Old January 12th 09, 11:15 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
hungry4uni

Default Titanium Hub?

Kris,

Would you recommend the Ti hub? I'd never get it for the stock price,
but I'm just curious? If the only difference is weight, I don't think
I'd get it. I don't particularly think that adding or subtracting 1/2
pound is going to make much of a difference, it's the
skill/determination/work ethic of the unicyclist.

If I'm wrong correct me?

--
hungry4uni

ŤŔϊãĻş

ЦИΪĈҰĆĻέ
my sponsor'
SixSixOne' (http://www.sixsixone.com)
Old January 12th 09, 11:29 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
danger_uni

Notwithstanding the coolness factor of titanium, the main difference is
weight. You're absolutely right that the major difference to
performance is the rider, not the gear. But that doesn't stop some
riders including very good riders from trying to squeeze better
performance out of their gear.

Cheers,

Kris

--
danger_uni
Old January 12th 09, 11:34 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Rowan

danger_uni;1169497 wrote:
the main difference is weight.

I disagree- I think the main difference is the price. If you compare the
difference in price to the difference in weight you will find the price
increase far outweighs the weight savings of Ti vs Chromo.

--
Rowan
Old January 12th 09, 11:38 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
danger_uni

Good point. The relationship between high-end product and price is
always non-linear.

At least we are not the bike industry. I was looking at an
off-the-shelf $4000 carbon road wheel in a bike magazine on the weekend
=).

Kris

--
danger_uni
Old January 13th 09, 12:06 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
agentQ

Rowan;1169498 wrote:
I disagree- I think the main difference is the price. If you compare the
difference in price to the difference in weight you will find the price
increase far outweighs the weight savings of Ti vs Chromo.

Price is typically the first and most important thing a potential buyer
is concerned with. However in the cycling word, or any
hobby/passion/obsession/way-of-life there are plenty of potential buyers
who are not concerned with price. If there are two similar options on
the market the cheaper may be a bit more appealing. However, when
price(as we said) is not an issue for the buyer, then they must choose
between weight and strength. Usually the strongest option is (in this
argument) steel, and steel is heavy. The lighter option is aluminum, but
aluminum does not have the strength that steel does.

So your left choosing between a cheaper stronger material, or a lighter
weaker material.

If money is not an issue, as it is not for some of us, then why not
make the compromise of (almost) the strength of steel, and (almost) the
weight of aluminum.

Your argument for price only hold up if there were not already a
cheaper option.

P.S Hungry4Uni when you are talking cycling parts a 1/2 pound is a HUGE
amount.

--
agentQ

---
'Uneed Films' (http://www.uneedfilms.com)
Old January 13th 09, 01:34 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
gerblefranklin

So, since we're so obsessed with materials here, I thought I'd mention a
new product. For those out there who can't stop breaking hubs, cranks,
and pedals, I'm making a solid tungsten drivetrain for you. Tungsten the
miracle material! Twice the ultimate strength of steel, and 2.5 times
the density! Also, around 3 times the cost of titanium for the blanks,
and 4 times the fabrication costs! Hurry to get your very own, before
they run out.

--
gerblefranklin

(just ride)
Old January 13th 09, 01:39 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jerrick

I have some tungsten bars laying around in the garage. Ill make a frame
with it! haha.

I heard about it years ago, so it isnt that new is it?

--
Jerrick

*Press Alt+F4 to fix post
stretch.*[SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC]JC~
Old January 13th 09, 11:47 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
gerblefranklin

Jerrick;1169569 wrote:
I have some tungsten bars laying around in the garage. Ill make a frame
with it! haha.

I heard about it years ago, so it isnt that new is it?

you know, you could just look these things up, Just because you have or
haven't heard of it, doesn't mean it's revolutionary technology.
Tungsten cores have been used in some ammunition at least since WWII.

Tungsten, some applications:
Penetrator in Armor piercing projectile
Coating for some plasma containment vessels.
Element in sintering base for tungsten carbide (what a surprise)
wear component for severe mechanical applications.
ultra-fine, high strength wire with unique attributes.
expensive paperweight.
Many chemical uses, very little of which I understand.
(my list is about about as accurate and comprehensive as a wiki article
edited by a toddler)

--
gerblefranklin

(just ride)
Old January 13th 09, 11:59 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

gerblefranklin;1169566 wrote:
So, since we're so obsessed with materials here, I thought I'd mention a
new product. For those out there who can't stop breaking hubs, cranks,
and pedals, I'm making a solid tungsten drivetrain for you. Tungsten the
miracle material! Twice the ultimate strength of steel, and 2.5 times
the density! Also, around 3 times the cost of titanium for the blanks,
and 4 times the fabrication costs! Hurry to get your very own, before
they run out.

Cool! I want one

--
GizmoDuck

The Induni Unicycle Tour 2009. Unicycle Tour of India. Email me for
details. www.induni.adventureunicyclist.com
The Uninam Tour 2008.....Hanoi to Saigon!!! www.uninam.net
The SINZ Unicycle Tour 2007....South Island, New Zealand
www.sinzuni.org
Old January 13th 09, 12:08 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
jogi

the reason why I´ve got a TI hub is that the flanges of my KH hub damage
(without jumping against them) in my muni - the same problem had unisan
at the unicon in denmark.
now he´s got a nimbus hub and I use a titan hub.
its light, good looking, smart and I hope its undestroyable - I will
see.

--
jogi

municycling anarchist
26" K1 Track Monster
Surly Conandrum
KH36 Nightrider
24 K1 street

zitat smilymarco:
Es ist Knut, der kann das. Knut ist ein Tier!

Titanium Hub? IsaacSteiner Unicycling 0 January 11th 09 12:58 AM
...but titanium is Andre Jute[_2_] Techniques 29 June 2nd 08 04:06 PM
Titanium what ever Techniques 1 November 10th 04 05:59 PM
Titanium what ever Techniques 0 November 10th 04 02:10 AM
Titanium flyingdutch Australia 33 April 3rd 04 10:54 AM