PUI?

Old November 23rd 08, 01:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Sornson[_3_]

Default PUI?

Jay Beattie wrote:
On Nov 21, 11:59 am, Mike Rocket J Squirrel
wrote:
Anyone here ever been ticketed for Pedaling Under the Influence?

(Not really a tech question, more of a soc question, admittedly.)

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
Bend, Oregon

My DA friends in PDX prosecute these on an infrequent basis. It
clearly is drunk driving in Oregon. I was also told that it is
sometimes used as a pretext stop -- some little thug on a BMX bike is
suspected of wrongdoing and gets pulled over for PUI. -- Jay Beattie.

Literally the charge? Or is it really "drunk in public" and/or wreckless
endangerment?

Old November 23rd 08, 02:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

wrote:
Anyone here ever been ticketed for Pedaling Under the Influence?

(Not really a tech question, more of a soc question, admittedly.)

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
Bend, Oregon

My DA friends in PDX prosecute these on an infrequent basis. It
clearly is drunk driving in Oregon. I was also told that it is
sometimes used as a pretext stop -- some little thug on a BMX bike is
suspected of wrongdoing and gets pulled over for PUI. -- Jay Beattie.

Literally the charge? Or is it really "drunk in public" and/or wreckless
endangerment?

What? Now your buggy computer won't let you look it up?

http://www.multnomahdui.com/pui.php

Old November 23rd 08, 03:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Sornson[_3_]

wrote:
Anyone here ever been ticketed for Pedaling Under the Influence?

(Not really a tech question, more of a soc question, admittedly.)

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
Bend, Oregon

My DA friends in PDX prosecute these on an infrequent basis. It
clearly is drunk driving in Oregon. I was also told that it is
sometimes used as a pretext stop -- some little thug on a BMX bike
is suspected of wrongdoing and gets pulled over for PUI. -- Jay
Beattie.

Literally the charge? Or is it really "drunk in public" and/or
wreckless endangerment?

What? Now your buggy computer won't let you look it up?

http://www.multnomahdui.com/pui.php

Who asked you, Dick-o?

(PS: You doubt a 7 or 8 year old desktop computer running Windows has some
bugs? Or are you just being a jerk? Asked and answered. LOL )

Old November 23rd 08, 04:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Sornson[_3_]

wrote:
Anyone here ever been ticketed for Pedaling Under the Influence?

(Not really a tech question, more of a soc question, admittedly.)

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
Bend, Oregon

My DA friends in PDX prosecute these on an infrequent basis. It
clearly is drunk driving in Oregon. I was also told that it is
sometimes used as a pretext stop -- some little thug on a BMX bike is
suspected of wrongdoing and gets pulled over for PUI. -- Jay Beattie.

Literally the charge? Or is it really "drunk in public" and/or
wreckless endangerment?

My bad. Sloppy first read thought you wrote "PHX" as in Phoenix, so I was
asking if Arizona really had "PUI" on the books. (Unlike Dick-o, I don't
live and breathe Usenet so don't know where every poster lives. Even the
non-anonymous ones, not just the cowardly snipers.)

BS (perhaps)

Old November 23rd 08, 04:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Jay Beattie wrote:

Mike Rocket J Squirrel wrote:

Anyone here ever been ticketed for Pedaling Under the Influence?

My DA friends in PDX prosecute these on an infrequent basis. It
clearly is drunk driving in Oregon. I was also told that it is
sometimes used as a pretext stop -- some little thug on a BMX bike is
suspected of wrongdoing and gets pulled over for PUI. -- Jay Beattie.

Selective enforcement-- that's the usual use for Public Intoxication
charges here in Austin. At least that's a relatively minor
misdemeanor rather than a serious misdemeanor or a felony.

The thing about selective enforcement is, crimes that people don't
care much about are used as proxies for prosecuting things that aren't
illegal. That isn't prosecution, it's persecution. Being a punk, or
a "scumbag", or black, or homeless, or poor, isn't a crime for good
reason. I think crimes that are used for selective enforcement should
be taken away from the cops-- which is what happened to our helmet law
in Austin.

After the cops proved they were only going to use the helmet law to
harass freaks and brown-skinned youths, the public objections were
enough that the city council overturned the ordinance.

Chalo
Old November 23rd 08, 08:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Nov 22, 8:11*pm, Chalo wrote:
Jay Beattie wrote:

[...]

For what It's worth. In Santa Rosa, Ca. a drunk cyclist was struck &
killed by motor vehicle recently. She ran a light while riding on the
left side of the street w/o bike lights. My understanding was that she
was not a street person. A few days later the SR police went on a
cyclist blitz, issuing something like 100 tickets in 3 hrs. I've
always found such tactics, regardless of the target, to be more self
serving than actually improving safety.
jd