where to get non-riveted 3/32 chain?

Old November 23rd 08, 04:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Default where to get non-riveted 3/32 chain?

wrote:
On Nov 22, 11:12 pm, jim beam wrote:
Chalo wrote:
jim beam wrote:
Chalo wrote:
For jb:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rivet
If it ain't peened, it ain't a rivet.
to the layman, maybe. but technically, it doesn't have to be.
The technical term for what you are describing is "dowel pin". A
rivet is by definition (technical or otherwise) upset or flared at the
end.

commonly, yes, you're right. but exclusively, no, that's not always the
case. and chain is an example.

since we were talking chain, the term for the head forming process we
see on modern chain is peening, not riveting.

Abraham Lincoln rhetorically asked, "How many rivets would
an old Regina chain have if we called a pin a rivet?" and
answered, "None, because calling a pin a rivet doesn't make
it a rivet."[*]

Cyclists (laypeople) speak of riveting a chain, but they aren't.

Ben

[*] I made this up: the original question is "How many
legs would a dog have if you called a tail a leg?"
You can tell I made it up, because everyone knows
Abraham Lincoln would have used Sedis chains.

because i'm a geek, i've kept a piece of the original sedis sport chain
from back in the 70's. that thing is truly revolutionary. without it,
we couldn't have todays 10 or 11 speed cassettes, or even index
shifting. some unknown, unsung guy [or girl], changed the world in
their own little way.

Old November 23rd 08, 05:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
LF

Thanks to all for the advise on bicycle chains.

I have a bunch of "power-link"/ "super-link" style connectors in my
parts bin, and will start using them. I got 6" long nose (needle-
nose) vise-grips, to help disconnect them. This winter, I'll put this
strategy to the test -- on a fixed-gear and on a 7-speed drive
train.

When I buy chains, I'll look for the old style, with the smooth
protruding pins. Eventually, I'll upgrade the bike with the 9-speed
Camag brifters to 7-speed friction shifting.

Best,
Larry
Old November 23rd 08, 06:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Carl Sundquist

LF wrote:
Thanks to all for the advise on bicycle chains.

I have a bunch of "power-link"/ "super-link" style connectors in my
parts bin, and will start using them. I got 6" long nose (needle-
nose) vise-grips, to help disconnect them. This winter, I'll put this
strategy to the test -- on a fixed-gear and on a 7-speed drive
train.

When I buy chains, I'll look for the old style, with the smooth
protruding pins. Eventually, I'll upgrade the bike with the 9-speed
Camag brifters to 7-speed friction shifting.

Best,
Larry

If you have an extra needle nose pliers around, curve the tips so they
face each other. This will allow you to hook the rollers of the link,
making it easier to squeeze the link together.
Old November 23rd 08, 06:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

LF wrote:
Thanks to all for the advise on bicycle chains.

I have a bunch of "power-link"/ "super-link" style connectors in my
parts bin, and will start using them. I got 6" long nose (needle-
nose) vise-grips, to help disconnect them. This winter, I'll put this
strategy to the test -- on a fixed-gear and on a 7-speed drive
train.

When I buy chains, I'll look for the old style, with the smooth
protruding pins. Eventually, I'll upgrade the bike with the 9-speed
Camag brifters to 7-speed friction shifting.

"upgrade" to something you can't use standing on the hoods??? or can't
use while braking?
Old November 23rd 08, 11:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

jim beam wrote:

LF wrote:

When I buy chains, I'll look for the old style, with the smooth
protruding pins. *Eventually, I'll upgrade the bike with the 9-speed
Camag brifters to 7-speed friction shifting.

"upgrade" to something you can't use standing on the hoods??? *or can't
use while braking?

Maybe he wants to upgrade to something that doesn't shift while
breaking.

Chalo
Old November 23rd 08, 11:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 15:06:35 -0800, Chalo wrote:

jim beam wrote:

LF wrote:

When I buy chains, I'll look for the old style, with the smooth
protruding pins. Â*Eventually, I'll upgrade the bike with the 9-speed
Camag brifters to 7-speed friction shifting.

"upgrade" to something you can't use standing on the hoods??? Â*or can't
use while braking?

Maybe he wants to upgrade to something that doesn't shift while
breaking.

Chalo

why don't you just go kick your wife chalo? you're making about as much
sense here.
Old November 24th 08, 02:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

jim beam wrote:

Chalo wrote:

jim beam wrote:

LF wrote:

When I buy chains, I'll look for the old style, with the smooth
protruding pins. *Eventually, I'll upgrade the bike with the 9-speed
Camag brifters to 7-speed friction shifting.

"upgrade" to something you can't use standing on the hoods??? *or can't
use while braking?

Maybe he wants to upgrade to something that doesn't shift while
breaking.

why don't you just go kick your wife chalo? *you're making about as much
sense here.

Man, she _hates_ that. And she's a real bear to be around when things
aren't working out to her satisfaction.

Anyway, I guess I forgot the smiley, so here, have two: :^) :^)

Braking, breaking... get it? It's a joke, son! Campy brifters brake,
and they break. You're not laughin'!

http://www.beer-bytch.com/images/jokesonjoke.wav

Chalo