Good repair shop in Melb.

Old October 29th 03, 01:20 AM
cfsmtb

Default Good repair shop in Melb.

John wrote:
Try Peter Moore's Abbotsford Cycles, under the Richmond railway
station in Swan Street. He specializes in repairs and has a good
reputation. John

Agree, never had a problem with his work. Peter never laughs at my bikes
either, but maybe he's polite & waits until I leave. Seriously, good
shop, doesn't sell new bikes, but a good selection of components & gear.

--
life ain't much but there's nothing else to do

Old October 29th 03, 06:20 AM
cfsmtb

Um, er, Halloween? I thought I heard Hawaiian.

Jeez, now I've misheard something & have planned to wear something nice
and summery on a cold crappy night. sigh.

--
life ain't much but there's nothing else to do

Old October 29th 03, 12:07 PM
Fred Nieman

cfsmtb wrote in message
John wrote:
Try Peter Moore's Abbotsford Cycles, under the Richmond railway
station in Swan Street. He specializes in repairs and has a good
reputation. John

Agree, never had a problem with his work. Peter never laughs at my bikes
either, but maybe he's polite & waits until I leave. Seriously, good
shop, doesn't sell new bikes, but a good selection of components & gear.

Hey cfsmtb, I heard a rumour that mass this Friday is a halloween one. True?
---
DFM

Um, er, Halloween? I thought I heard Hawaiian.

Jeez, now I've misheard something & have planned to wear something nice
and summery on a cold crappy night. sigh.

--
life ain't much but there's nothing else to do

Heya John, DFM, and Chris (and Frank)

Is that the same folks that used to run Abbotsford Cycles in
Collingwood, on the southern side of Johnston St somewhere between
Hoddle St and the big Studley Park hill?

I seem to remember they closed down there sometime around 1994. I hope
it is, because that was a truly inspirational LBS. They changed my
life.

When I somehow managed to live on $ 130 a week, they showed me why I
didn't want to replace an alloy crank (that I'd let hollow out because I
finger-tightened the crank-bolt nut) with a steel one, why I didn't want
a bigger chainring because there was this magical thing that made you
cycle better and easier if you actually used the gears like they were
designed to be used called "cadence". And later on, once I actually had
a f/t job, how I wasn't the only person in the world who believed that a
bicycle could be an adult's primary method of transportation. And, more
prosaically [sp?], they trusted me to me rat round in the spares for
whatever bit I wanted. (Bicycle Recycle in Moorabbin are great in that
respect too, once you say a few 'open sesame' words like "bolt circle
diameter" or "1 1/8 inch steerer"...)

xxx

pete

ps: the guys at Brunswick St Cycles on (quelle surprise) Brunswick St,
Fitzroy have been completely wonderful with me every time I've rolled in
with my old, odd commuter bike. I went in there a few Sundays ago when
I finally admitted that my drivetrain had got un-rideably (gears
skipping, chain snapping) worn out. I thought that BSC would be just my
first stop on pricing cassettes, chains and rings between Brunswick and
St Kilda Cycles (great shop also, btw) but the guy who was on the other
side of the counter obviously prioritised being a cyclist above being
someone who worked in a bike shop. He spent maybe 3/4 of an hour with
me finding a "straight set", digging up a 32 tooth five-arm chain-ring,
and a really value-for-money but also well matched to the other
running-gear chain.
I'm a bit worried about BSC, because their market niche may well be
taken up Fitzroy Cycles on the high end, and MBC in Clifton Hill on the
low end (as well as other LBSs in the area.) It would be great if they
could service the commuter life-choice market, but we're not a really a
commercially big $$$-generating community, unfortunately.

pps: Lutana Banana Mañana!!!
Old October 29th 03, 10:07 PM
Etxy

I did work experience at Cecil Walker and I can vouch for the quality of
their servicing. They are thorough, meticulous, and always have the bike
finished when you need it by or before. Awesome shop- not that I'm
biased...

--
"I loved the feeling of riding downhill-
admiring the scenery then running

life ain't much but there's nothing else to do

Old October 29th 03, 10:35 PM
cfsmtb

Lutana Banana Mañana!!!

s p o o k y Be a snob, refer to it as East Moonah.))))

Very sure Peter's shop (or the management) is the same one you're
referring to, see below, Abbotsford Cycles Peter Moore's Abbotsford
Cycles is a small shop dedicated to the economical upkeep of bicycles in
central Melbourne. http://www.onecer.net/abbotsfordcycles/

Also liked Cecils work too, got a excellent deal on a Met helmet there a
couple of years ago + other stuff. BSC also very knowledgeable, good to
know bike shops stock components such as adapter quills for those of us
who insist on older MTB bikes.

--
life ain't much but there's nothing else to do