The bike from latest Aldi catalouge?

Old October 26th 03, 04:59 AM
Deep Freud Moors

Default The bike from latest Aldi catalouge?

Mal P wrote in message
om...
Howdy,

I saw the following bicycle available at Aldi (cheapo German grocery
store):

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=ca...com.au/surpris
e_buys.php+aldi+bike&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

It seems to have Shimano gears, front suspension etc, and if I fix a
comfortable seat on the thing, anyone reckon it'll work ok for a bit
of casual riding? Around the footpaths of Canberra, so not exactly
rugged terrain.

My budget was under $500 for a bike, and if this one's decent, heck,
save a bit of cash!

Yep, looks like a decent bike, because that is what it's imitating.
Unfortunately the components are all VERY cheap and crappy. Despite
Shimano's popularity and cool sounding name, they make some completely ****e
components. You will find that nothing works all that well on it, and things
don't fit as well as they should. China is currently pumping out millions of
very cheap bikes at the moment like this one, and stores like Aldi and
K-Mart are full of them.

You would be much better off buying a second hand bike. Don't fall for the
trap of saving $300 only to get something that you don't ever want to ride
because it's so crappy.
---
DFM

Old October 26th 03, 11:32 AM
Deep Freud Moors

You would be much better off buying a second hand bike. Don't fall for
the
trap of saving $300 only to get something that you don't ever want to

ride
because it's so crappy.

Any reccommendations on decent bikes under $500?

Well, if you want something cheapish and functional, Shoguns and the like
are not a bad bet. They are good because parts are cheap and available, and
they will tolerate a reasonable amount of abuse. I don't know how much they
go for new, but you could get something pretty good second hand.

I wouldn't bother getting shocks for that price. You have to spend a fair
bit before shocks are worthwhile. And don't ever buy a bike with calliper
brakes and steel rims!! Happy trails!
---
DFM

Old October 27th 03, 02:47 AM
Mal P

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=ca...hl=en&ie=UTF-8

It seems to have Shimano gears, front suspension etc, and if I fix a
comfortable seat on the thing, anyone reckon it'll work ok for a bit
of casual riding? Around the footpaths of Canberra, so not exactly
rugged terrain.

My budget was under $500 for a bike, and if this one's decent, heck,
save a bit of cash!

Thanks,
Mal
Old October 27th 03, 05:20 AM
Cletus75

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=ca...ldi.com.au/su-
rprise_buys.php+aldi+bike&hl-[/url]"]http://www.google.com.au/search?q=-
cache:vrlY9arXb1EJ:]www.aldi.com.au/surprise_buys.php+aldi+bike&hl-[/ur-
l] =en&ie=UTF-8
It seems to have Shimano gears, front suspension etc, and if I fix a
comfortable seat on the thing, anyone reckon it'll work ok for a bit
of casual riding? Around the footpaths of Canberra, so not exactly
rugged terrain.
My budget was under $500 for a bike, and if this one's decent, heck,
save a bit of cash!
Thanks, Mal

Hi Mal, That link doesn't appear to be working. But you can find heaps
of half-decent bash-around bikes for around the $500 mark. Particularly
if you look through the Malvern Stars and Shoguns at your LBS. Be wary
of nasty forks though - as a mate warned me when I was first looking at
MTBs - "Better to have no suspension than cheap suspension". I didn't
really understand that until I took my brother-in-laws $100 Huffy around
the block recently. The thing just bounces all over the place, it's
ridiculous how much power I was losing through the suspension!

Old October 27th 03, 09:58 AM
Mal P

Yep, looks like a decent bike, because that is what it's imitating.
Unfortunately the components are all VERY cheap and crappy. Despite
Shimano's popularity and cool sounding name, they make some completely

****e
components. You will find that nothing works all that well on it, and

things
don't fit as well as they should. China is currently pumping out millions

of
very cheap bikes at the moment like this one, and stores like Aldi and
K-Mart are full of them.

Thanks, looks like it's something to be avoided!

You would be much better off buying a second hand bike. Don't fall for the
trap of saving $300 only to get something that you don't ever want to ride
because it's so crappy.

Any reccommendations on decent bikes under $500?

Sincerely,
Mal

Old October 27th 03, 10:00 AM
Mal P

Hi Mal, That link doesn't appear to be working.

Aye, it's a google cache thing :-( The first link on the following has it,
you will have to click on the "Cached" google link to get to it as the page
was changed.

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=al...cr%3DcountryAU

But you can find heaps
of half-decent bash-around bikes for around the $500 mark. Particularly
if you look through the Malvern Stars and Shoguns at your LBS. Be wary
of nasty forks though - as a mate warned me when I was first looking at
MTBs - "Better to have no suspension than cheap suspension". I didn't
really understand that until I took my brother-in-laws $100 Huffy around
the block recently. The thing just bounces all over the place, it's
ridiculous how much power I was losing through the suspension!

Malvern and Shoguns - I'll check them out!

Thanks,
Mal

Old October 31st 03, 07:35 PM
karma_2120

THANKS FOR THAT PIECE OF INFO
"Cletus75" wrote in message
Mal P wrote:
[...]

Bike Stores Endangerd Because of Super Chain Stores? James Lynx General 112 June 5th 04 01:22 PM
Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price Techniques 0 June 1st 04 04:54 AM
Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price Recumbent Biking 0 June 1st 04 04:49 AM
Street Bike Devlin UK 44 March 17th 04 10:28 AM
Who is going to Interbike? Bruce Gilbert Techniques 2 October 10th 03 09:26 PM