Is it Dead?

Old October 19th 07, 01:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Drackman

Default Is it Dead?

I was trying to beat the big wind storm home today, was riding uphill, felt
a "clink" and dropped my chain. It felt weird but I couldn't find any of
the usual suspects loose or broken. I put the chain back on and tried to
ride. Checking more closely revealed that the seat tube was completely
disconnected from where it meets the bottom bracket.

It is a 14 year old REI brand touring bike that has about 30K miles on it.
Is it something that is worth having fixed or should I schedule a memorial
service?

Old October 19th 07, 02:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David L. Johnson

Frank Drackman wrote:

ride. Checking more closely revealed that the seat tube was completely
disconnected from where it meets the bottom bracket.

It is a 14 year old REI brand touring bike that has about 30K miles on it.
Is it something that is worth having fixed or should I schedule a memorial
service?

It was probably tig welded to begin with, if it's steel, It could be
re-welded, but that is not likely to be a very strong joint -- it
probably failed because it wasn't welded properly to begin with, and
there is corrosion to deal with.

In addition to the cost of welding it back together, which will be $100
or so if you want to pay someone who really knows what he is doing, you
will have to re-paint the bike, which will cost another $100-$200 to
have a decent job done. And when you are done you still will have a
14-year-old bike with worn, low-end components.

If it is aluminum, there isn't even a chance of finding someone to
re-weld it. A decent job there would cost much more than it is worth,
and the chances of doing a decent job with the old materials is small.

Save the shiny bits, and toss the rest. Buy another bike. You got your
$500 or so of use out of this one.

--

David L. Johnson

The lottery is a tax on those who fail to understand mathematics.
Old October 19th 07, 04:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
tiborg

On Oct 19, 10:09 am, "David L. Johnson"
wrote:
Frank Drackman wrote:
[...]

So you're saying crazy glue just wont do the trick?

Old October 19th 07, 04:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman

wrote:
Frank Drackman wrote:
[...]

Maybe JB Weld and U-bolts?

Beer - It's not just for breakfast anymore!
Old October 19th 07, 04:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

http://www.icw-net.com/aa_SiteObject...tway-burns.jpg

Old October 19th 07, 05:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Drackman

"David L. Johnson" wrote in message
Frank Drackman wrote:

[...]

Thanks. I should have included that it is steel in the OP. The only things
original to the bike are the frame and seatpost, the components are in
pretty good shape, but boy did I love that frame.

Because of a mix-up at REI I only paid $224 at the time of purchase. My
local store found a 2 year old bike at another location and said that they
would sell it to me for $189 if I was willing to pay $35 to have it shipped
to the store. I said sure but when I went to pick it up it was missing. It
turns out that an employee purchased it when they saw the $189 price. The
store manager made good by giving me the current year bike for the agreed
upon price. I will probably have to budget more than $225 this time.

Old October 19th 07, 06:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 18, 10:34 pm, "Frank Drackman" wrote:
"David L. Johnson" wrote in et...

Frank Drackman wrote:

ride. Checking more closely revealed that the seat tube was completely
disconnected from where it meets the bottom bracket.

It is a 14 year old REI brand touring bike that has about 30K miles on
it. Is it something that is worth having fixed or should I schedule a
memorial service?

It was probably tig welded to begin with, if it's steel, It could be
re-welded, but that is not likely to be a very strong joint -- it probably
failed because it wasn't welded properly to begin with, and there is
corrosion to deal with.

Frank, & list:

This is not a particularly difficult repair. A framebuilder could do
it in 15 minutes brazing it up and grinding the braze joint out
nicely. Yes, it would spoil the paint for about 4" each side of the
break. And once you put bronze on the joint, you would never be able
to weld again near the joint.

It's a job I would do for well under $100, including cleanup and a
shot of rattlecan primer. I'm sure yopu could find a framebuilder in
your area who will help you out.

jn

"Thursday"

Old October 19th 07, 07:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article
.com
,

wrote:
Frank Drackman wrote:
[...]

Scab on some sheet steel and J.B. Weld that sucker.

--
Michael Press
Old October 19th 07, 07:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Michael Press wrote:
In article
.com
,

wrote:
Frank Drackman wrote:
[...]

wow, you really /want/ that darwin award, don't you!
Old October 19th 07, 07:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Frank Drackman wrote:
I was trying to beat the big wind storm home today, was riding uphill, felt
a "clink" and dropped my chain. It felt weird but I couldn't find any of
the usual suspects loose or broken. I put the chain back on and tried to
ride. Checking more closely revealed that the seat tube was completely
disconnected from where it meets the bottom bracket.

It is a 14 year old REI brand touring bike that has about 30K miles on it.
Is it something that is worth having fixed or should I schedule a memorial
service?

if tig, it's now uneconomic to repair. plenty of cheap reliable frames
at nashbar though.

AMB is DEAD! Mike Vandeman Mountain Biking 3 August 3rd 07 11:42 PM
Humvee is dead. Treadly Australia 1 May 14th 06 10:38 PM
A.R.B.R. ain't dead yet?????? [email protected] Recumbent Biking 329 March 5th 05 12:33 AM
I would be dead but for my... JohnB UK 5 June 6th 04 08:54 PM