Long Chain, Les Wear?

Old November 18th 08, 04:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

Default Long Chain, Les Wear?

On Nov 18, 10:15*am, slide wrote:
As I mentioned, I just got a Rans CF bike and am enjoying it quite a
bit. A friend of mine got his last spring. So far he has about 2,500
miles on it (4.000 kms).

He mentioned that the Rans doesn't wear chains or sprockets like
conventional bikes. He said he has no appreciable chain wear over that
period where he'd have at least detectable wear and maybe a new chain
needed if it were a conventional bike. He said the reason was the longer
chain meant less stress per link thus less wear thus the entire drive
train lasts longer.

Once people start reclining and riding--the brain is the first thing
to suffer. ;-) My guess would be that a wear cycle on a chain would
consist of going around the front and rear sprockets once. The flexing
being what abrades the internals of the chain with whatever grit it's
managed to pick up. Longer chain, fewer wear cycles per mile. That's
my steaming turd of an opinion and I'm sticking to it!
Old November 22nd 08, 06:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Chalo wrote:

[...]

I thought it was self-evident that a rider can develop several times
as much power when he is able push back against his lawn chair for
support. Just ask any 'bent rider; he'll tell you. That would wear
chains out like nobody's business! Those guys probably should use
motorcycle chains, if not something even bigger and stronger from a
mining industry machine.

Oops! Let's not confuse force with power. For a trained athlete,
power is limited by cardiovascular capacity (big lungs) rather than
length of crank or position on the saddle.

Jobst Brandt
Old November 23rd 08, 07:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

wrote:
Chalo wrote:

[...]

er, a couple of small details for you jobst:

1. sprinters don't breathe much - but they're plenty powerful.
2. power = force x distance /time. see above.

Long Chain, Les Wear? slide Techniques 8 November 22nd 08 02:52 PM
Chain Wear Jim UK 10 September 19th 07 10:25 PM
if chain wear were never a factor, how long would a cassette last? [email protected] Techniques 12 August 16th 07 04:48 AM
Is chain flex an indicator of chain wear? Friday Techniques 8 May 4th 06 01:19 AM
Chain line and chain wear... Xyzzy Techniques 5 June 25th 05 10:44 PM