where to get non-riveted 3/32 chain?

Old November 20th 08, 02:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
LF

Default where to get non-riveted 3/32 chain?

OK. After my recent chain education, I want to purchase some non-
riveted 3/32 bicycle chains. Anyone know of a source?

Thanks,
Larry
Old November 20th 08, 02:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 06:19:28 -0800, LF wrote:

OK. After my recent chain education, I want to purchase some non-
riveted 3/32 bicycle chains. Anyone know of a source?

Thanks,
Larry

larry, what do you think all those little barrel-shaped chunks of metal
that hold all the chain's side plates together are called?

Old November 20th 08, 03:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
LF

larry, what do you think all those little barrel-shaped chunks of metal
that hold all the chain's side plates together are called?

pins.
Old November 20th 08, 09:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Nov 20, 7:19*am, LF wrote:
OK. After my recent chain education, I want to purchase some non-
riveted 3/32 bicycle chains. *Anyone know of a source?

You want a chain with non-peened pins, not
non-riveted pins (so far as people use "rivet" to
mean pushing a pin through a hole, "non-riveted
pins" is confusing).

I don't know where to get some. A while ago I bought
some cheap "5/6-speed" chains from Gnashbar that
are old-style with the pin heads protruding, but I don't
believe they have it any more, and they wouldn't work
on 7-speed anyway - too wide.

Really, using an SRAM 8-speed chain with a Powerlink
on a 7-speed bike works great and is frequently less
work than using a chain tool. You can fix it with a chain
tool in an emergency and it won't explode and kill you,
you just probably shouldn't go on to use the re-riveted
link for a long time. Chains are a consumable anyway,
so this is not a big deal.

Ben
Old November 20th 08, 09:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

LF wrote:
larry, what do you think all those little barrel-shaped chunks of metal
that hold all the chain's side plates together are called?

pins.

RIght.

For jb: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rivet

If it ain't peened, it ain't a rivet.

You can find surprisingly inexpensive 3/32" non-riveted chains with
flat, non-beveled sideplates at most well-stocked LBSs. Most of them
I have seen are made by KMC. They look just like 1/8" single speed
chain, but narrower. They don't shift as cleanly as chains with
shaped and beveled sideplates, and they are too wide to work right
with 8/9/10 speed clusters. These are often referred to as "5-speed"
chains, though in my experience they work OK for 6-speed and some 7-
speed freewheels.

Chalo
Old November 20th 08, 09:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Larry Fieman wrote:

OK. After my recent chain education, I want to purchase some non-
riveted 3/32 bicycle chains. Anyone know of a source?

Most chains do not have their link pins riveted and because chains
these days are so pressed for minimal width, most link pins are merely
flush with thier side plates, meaning they cannot be riveted. To make
upi for that, they have sharp edged truncated ends that do not readily
permit re-instalation because htey broach the side plate bore.

If you get six and seven speed chains, chances are better. Flush
masterlinks (Power-Link) are also a way around this problem.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...px?ModelID=871

Jobst Brandt
Old November 23rd 08, 01:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Chalo wrote:
LF wrote:
larry, what do you think all those little barrel-shaped chunks of metal
that hold all the chain's side plates together are called?

pins.

RIght.

For jb: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rivet

If it ain't peened, it ain't a rivet.

to the layman, maybe. but technically, it doesn't have to be.

Old November 23rd 08, 04:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

jim beam wrote:

Chalo wrote:

For jb: *http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rivet

If it ain't peened, it ain't a rivet.

to the layman, maybe. *but technically, it doesn't have to be.

The technical term for what you are describing is "dowel pin". A
rivet is by definition (technical or otherwise) upset or flared at the
end.

Chalo

Old November 23rd 08, 06:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Chalo wrote:
jim beam wrote:
Chalo wrote:
For jb: �http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rivet

If it ain't peened, it ain't a rivet.

to the layman, maybe. �but technically, it doesn't have to be.

The technical term for what you are describing is "dowel pin". A
rivet is by definition (technical or otherwise) upset or flared at the
end.

commonly, yes, you're right. but exclusively, no, that's not always the
case. and chain is an example.

since we were talking chain, the term for the head forming process we
see on modern chain is peening, not riveting.
Old November 23rd 08, 08:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Nov 22, 11:12 pm, jim beam wrote:
Chalo wrote:
jim beam wrote:
Chalo wrote:
For jb:http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rivet

If it ain't peened, it ain't a rivet.
to the layman, maybe. but technically, it doesn't have to be.

The technical term for what you are describing is "dowel pin". A
rivet is by definition (technical or otherwise) upset or flared at the
end.

commonly, yes, you're right. but exclusively, no, that's not always the
case. and chain is an example.

since we were talking chain, the term for the head forming process we
see on modern chain is peening, not riveting.

Abraham Lincoln rhetorically asked, "How many rivets would
an old Regina chain have if we called a pin a rivet?" and
answered, "None, because calling a pin a rivet doesn't make
it a rivet."[*]

Cyclists (laypeople) speak of riveting a chain, but they aren't.

Ben
[*] I made this up: the original question is "How many
legs would a dog have if you called a tail a leg?"
You can tell I made it up, because everyone knows
Abraham Lincoln would have used Sedis chains.