Long Chain, Les Wear?

Old November 21st 08, 11:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Default Long Chain, Les Wear?

landotter wrote:

slide wrote:

As I mentioned, I just got a Rans CF bike and am enjoying it quite a
bit. A friend of mine got his last spring. So far he has about 2,500
miles on it (4.000 kms).

He mentioned that the Rans doesn't wear chains or sprockets like
conventional bikes. He said he has no appreciable chain wear over that
period where he'd have at least detectable wear and maybe a new chain
needed if it were a conventional bike. He said the reason was the longer
chain meant less stress per link thus less wear thus the entire drive
train lasts longer.

Once people start reclining and riding--the brain is the first thing
to suffer. ;-) My guess would be that a wear cycle on a chain would
consist of going around the front and rear sprockets once. The flexing
being what abrades the internals of the chain with whatever grit it's
managed to pick up. Longer chain, fewer wear cycles per mile. That's
my steaming turd of an opinion and I'm sticking to it!

I thought it was self-evident that a rider can develop several times
as much power when he is able push back against his lawnchair for
support. Just ask any 'bent rider; he'll tell you. That would wear
chains out like nobody's business! Those guys probably should use
motorcycle chains, if not something even bigger and stronger from a
mining industry machine.

Chalo

Old November 22nd 08, 09:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Default Long Chain, Less Wear?

Chalo Colina wrote:
landotter wrote:
slide wrote:
[...]

Not power but force. And the 'bent rider will not be putting out that
maximum force for long.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
If you are not a part of the solution, you are a part of the precipitate.

Long Chain, Les Wear? landotter Techniques 2 November 23rd 08 07:21 AM
Long Chain, Les Wear? slide Techniques 8 November 22nd 08 02:52 PM
Long Chain, Less Wear? Tom Sherman[_2_] Techniques 0 November 19th 08 01:16 AM
Long Chain, Les Wear? Mike Rocket J Squirrel Techniques 0 November 18th 08 09:03 PM
if chain wear were never a factor, how long would a cassette last? [email protected] Techniques 12 August 16th 07 04:48 AM