ITM Carbon Fiber Fork?

Old January 7th 11, 05:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DirtRoadie

Default ITM Carbon Fiber Fork?

On Jan 6, 4:09*pm, wrote:

I've ridden no-hands uphill with my Cinelli quill stem loose in the
steertube ....
*Therefore, old safety standards cannot be applied.

You're right. The steerer clamp on a threadless setup is far more
secure than a classic quill stem.

In a threadless setup the stem is further secured by the compression
of the "top cap" so that even if the steerer clamp were to fail
completely (1) the stem cannot slide off the steerer vertically AND
(2) the top cap provides/enhances some measure of frictional
engagement between stem and steerer to retain a minimal amount of
steering control. Again, because the steering forces are very small,
the bike is likely to be ridable (to a stop), even if not ideally safe
for continued cruising. Anyone who has ever snugged up the top cap
but then forgotten to tighten the steerer clamp knows this.

DR

Old January 7th 11, 07:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

DR wrote:

I've ridden no-hands uphill with my Cinelli quill stem loose in the
steertube...

Â*Therefore, old safety standards cannot be applied.

You're right. The steerer clamp on a threadless setup is far more
secure than a classic quill stem.

Especially if the quill stem uses a slant wedge as an expander... and
unscrews itself. Although that design stopped causing bulges in the
steertube, it doesn't arrest the stem safely.

In a threadless setup the stem is further secured by the compression
of the "top cap" so that even if the steerer clamp were to fail
completely (1) the stem cannot slide off the steerer vertically AND
(2) the top cap provides/enhances some measure of frictional
engagement between stem and steerer to retain a minimal amount of
steering control.

That is expecting miracles from a device whose screw is designed to
adjust head bearings with low force precision that was formerly a
difficult and inaccurate function in threaded steertube bearings using
monster octagonal wrenches.

Again, because the steering forces are very small, the bike is
likely to be ridable (to a stop), even if not ideally safe for
continued cruising. Anyone who has ever snugged up the top cap but
then forgotten to tighten the steerer clamp knows this. DR

I've done it a few times and found the slower you go, the more
difficult no-hands steering becomes because it relies on front wheel
centrifugal torque.

Defending the quill stem against the threadless steertube design makes
use of mythical wishes. Having worked on and ridden bicycles for more
than 60 years, I was glad to see the threadless steertube arrive.
--
Jobst Brandt
Old January 7th 11, 08:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DirtRoadie

On Jan 7, 12:17*pm, wrote:
DR wrote:
[...]

Miracles ? Hardly. If you re-read (look for "minimal steering
control"), you will see that I did not suggest that the top cap is, in
any way, a substitute for the steerer clamp. I merely pointed out that
the failure of the steerer clamp is not nearly as catastrophic as you
would fantasize. I was describing what occurs in the real world.
Please consider addressing what was written rather than what you wish
or assume was written.

Again, because the steering forces are very small, the bike is
likely to be ridable (to a stop), even if not ideally safe for
continued cruising. *Anyone who has ever snugged up the top cap but
then forgotten to tighten the steerer clamp knows this. *DR

I've done it a few times and found the slower you go, the more
difficult no-hands steering becomes because it relies on front wheel
centrifugal torque. *

When I said "ridable (to a stop)" I meant just that. And, no, it is
not "no hands" because there is still a weak but usable frictional
steering connection between the stem and steerer.

Defending the quill stem against the threadless steertube design makes
use of mythical wishes. *Having worked on and ridden bicycles for more
than 60 years, I was glad to see the threadless steertube arrive.

So who is this straw person who you think is defending the quill
stem?

DR