Why do my hard earned tax dollars support a bike team?

Old July 13th 04, 07:23 AM
Kenny

Default Pro Racers face deeper talent pools

Curtis L. Russell wrote in message . ..
On 12 Jul 2004 05:43:44 -0700, (Kenny) wrote:

There are 10 WC ("classics") races and
only 1 tour each year. If you want to make such a comparison, compare
the two major disciplines in cycling: WC races and Grand Tours. I
think if you try to name the main contenders for those two types of
racing, you won't find more names for classics as for GT's.

Depends on what you mean by contenders for racing. If you mean who can
win a stage on a given day on one of the three Tours, as well as
winning overall G.C., yes. If you are including anyone that has a role
in the Tour, then also yes, but that has little to do with the thread
to date.

If you mean that there are as many legitimate contenders for winning
the G.C. of a Tour as there are winning any one of the classics i a
given year, that simply doesn't make sense.

I mean globally. Name the favourites for the 10 WC races and the
favourites for the three GT's at the start of the season. You'll get
about the same number of names.
Old July 14th 04, 01:17 AM
Jim Adney

Default None of your Tax Dollars go into the cycling team!!!

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 17:37:33 -0500 Tim McNamara
wrote:

Luigi de Guzman writes:

as I recall, those rates and protocols are negotiated bilaterally
between national postal services directly and multilaterally through
the Universal Postal Union.

Huh. There's a body I've never heard of. Thanks. Even though I mail
things internationally, I'd never thought of this before Mark's post.

I thought it was the International Postal Union. Same concept though.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA
Old July 14th 04, 04:26 AM
Luigi de Guzman

wrote:

Luigi de Guzman writes:

as I recall, those rates and protocols are negotiated bilaterally
between national postal services directly and multilaterally through
the Universal Postal Union.

Huh. There's a body I've never heard of. Thanks. Even though I mail
things internationally, I'd never thought of this before Mark's post.

I thought it was the International Postal Union. Same concept though.

I did, too. I was corrected, though. It is the UPU, an acronym which
happily is the same in French as in English (I believe).

Their HQ is in Geneva, and as I recall, they are generally listed as a
special technical organ of the United Nations these days (along with
other umbrella bodies like ISO.)

You can read all about them at their website, http://www.upu.int/ .
Note that the main colour is Yellow, which seems to mean "post" in
most places, except the Britain and its dependencies (where the
postboxes are red) and the USA (where they're blue).

Bike content: Re-Cycle, the used bicycle shop in Elephant and Castle
in London from time to time sell used surplus Royal Mail delivery
bikes. I really wanted to get one when I was there, but I couldn't
afford it, and bought my pink bike instead.

-Luigi

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA

Old July 21st 04, 11:16 AM
Mike1

Default Why do my hard earned tax dollars support a bike team?

Why do my hard earned tax dollars support a bike team?

Why, because you mailed the check in, as is expected of a good peasant.

--
Reply to sans two @@, or your reply won't reach me.

Drug smugglers and gun-runners are heroes of American capitalism.
-- Jeffrey Quick
Old July 21st 04, 05:03 PM
Clovis Lark

In rec.bicycles.racing Mike1 wrote:

Why do my hard earned tax dollars support a bike team?

Because they weren't hard earned...