Who does the best bike fit in Sydney?

Old August 30th 03, 03:49 AM
Andrew Price

Default Who does the best bike fit in Sydney?

"Andrew Swan" wrote in message
Two of my friends have used and would recommend Steve Hogg (as does my
club) -

Highly recommend Steve - if its any closer Mark at Turramurra Cyles also is
said to do a pretty good job and maybe a bit cheaper.

BUT this will start you on a larger quest ...

If I was starting out with a new bike again the thing I would do is get
someone to have a look at the flexibility and functionality of my pretty
ordinary body and start improving on lots of years of getting tighter and
less flexible (basically sedentary modern urban living will do this for you)

I suspect and hope that one day we might educate kids at school on how to
stretch, stay flexible, carry weight properly and pay some respect to the
human machine which evolved doing different things than we now expect it to
do.

By all means get set up properly on the bike - other than the discomfort of
exertion, nothing should ever hurt or give muscular or skeletal problems on
a bike properly set up for you - but as you ride more and especially if you
stretch (yoga, pilates, cycling stretches, whatever) your best position will
change significantly.

Thats why I suggest you get a simple fit done now and start doing a lot of
work on flexibility - that will show you measurable improvement faster than
anything else you can do. Resist the temptation of spending $ on the bike
(unless something becomes unreliable) and invest time in working on the
thing that will show you the biggest gain - improving you.

Buy a swiss ball correctly sized for you (cheap) and get someone to show you
how you can strengthen your core muscles and get your lower & upper back
flexible - the latter will do a whole lot of good for your lung capacity and
endurance on the bike.

That's not just an investment in better cycling, its a big investment in a
longer happier more active life - but as always YMMV.

best, Andrew

"But riding is my special gift, my chiefest, sole delight;
Just ask a wild duck can it swim, a wildcat can it fight...
I'll ride this here two-wheeled concern, right straight away, at sight."
A B 'Banjo' Patterson - "Mulga Bill" 25 July 1896.

Old August 30th 03, 10:06 AM
Arpit

Hi, some of you gave some sort of formula for working ouit fittings.
Im only 16, can I still use the formula or do I have to modify stuff?

On 29 Aug 2003 14:35:05 +0950, RossB
wrote:

I bought a new road bike last week and while the guys at the store spent
a reasonable amount of time fitting it, they way they did it didn't look
particularly scientific. I also wasn't convinced that the guy doing it
was 100% certain of what he was doing. It was basically along the lines
of "raise that a bit, lower it a bit, yeah that looks right". No
measurements were taken. The cleats were fastened to the shoes without
seeing if they required any adjustment, and after less than a week I
have developed major knee pains. I also found out later that this store
sold a bike to a friend of mine which was way too big for her.

I'm now thinking of going to a different shop just to have the bike
fitted out properly, although I know this could cost a lot extra. I know
some stores use the Bike Fit system. Does anyone know if any stores in
Sydney do this? Who does the best bike fitting in Sydney? Am I correct
in thinking that any store will do this for the appropriate charge?

Old August 30th 03, 06:15 PM
eug k

Andrew Price wrote:

[....]

By all means get set up properly on the bike - other than the discomfort of
exertion, nothing should ever hurt or give muscular or skeletal problems on
a bike properly set up for you - but as you ride more and especially if you
stretch (yoga, pilates, cycling stretches, whatever) your best position will
change significantly.

and now, to an amateurish question... if i get a sore butt from my saddle,
does that mean it's not properly fitted, or i just need a softer one?

[.....]

--
is a valid email address. Don't remove anything!

Old August 31st 03, 07:58 AM
Peter Vesel

Don't waste your time trying a bit here and a bit there.
Steve Hogg charges quite a bit but then he does spend a few hours checking
you out for structural misalignments, flexibility and such.

If you don't like his adjustments I believe he still has a money back
guarantee.
unfortunately you should have seen him before you bought your bike.

Peter

ps I believe he is giving one of his talks this weekend (Saturday only?) and
it is well worth listening to.... as is Andrew Richards.

From Bicycling Australia website

11:00am Saturday

Andrew Richards & Steve Hogg-Positioning to Solve Problems
Structural Biomechanics and Cycling Performance

In Part 1 of this dual presentation, Andrew Richards will explain structural
biomechanics and reveal how it relates to cycling performance. Andrew
Richards (B.Med.Sc M.Chiro) is the principal chiropractor of ISIS
Chiropractic and massage. Andrew is a member of the Chiropractors
Association of Australia, Randwick Botany Cycling Club and Triathlon
Australia. He regularly attends conferences in Australia and overseas to
stay abreast of the latest developments in the medical field. Andrew has
been a contributor to the Bicycling Australia publication and conducts
educational workshops for chiropractors, personal trainers and the general
public.

In Part 2 of this dual presentation, Steve Hogg will practically apply the
principles of structural biomechanics to cycling. In particular, Steve Hogg
will look at how posture and structural fitness affect an ideal bike
position. He will look at how pelvic stability is the key to an ideal bike
position. Steve will also look at how achieving pelvic stability through
optimal bike position can typically improve a rider's power output by 15 to
25%. Steve Hogg is the owner or Pedal Pushers bike shop in Randwick, Sydney.
He is also a co-proprietor of the Cyclefit professional cycle fitting
practice with John Kennedy of Melbourne Elite Sport. Steve has fitted and
measured over 6,000 road and MTB cyclists and triathletes, including Eddie
Salas, 10 times Australian Champion, Marion Clignet, a five time World
Champion and Olympic medallist and Jan Rehula, Sydney Olympic medallist in
triathlon.

Old August 31st 03, 11:46 PM
amirm

Gary K wrote:
There are a couple of schools of thought on this (and controversial).
Positioning the rider by sight can be a good starting point without
spending the big bucks of a prof. bike fit.
If you have knee problems, check your saddle height, use the formula
thats being published around the place for many years. ie. Multiply your
inleg length by 0.883, that becomes the BB to top of the saddle distance
- its a very good start. Also look at your riding style. Do you grind
large gears too much?
Fore/aft position of the saddle can be tested while climbing with your
hands on the tops. If you find you must pull with your arms, you have
your seat too far back and so on.
The best position is the one you continually tweak overtime.
Hope this helps.
Andrew Swan wrote:
"Steve Hogg is the owner or [sic] Pedal Pushers bike shop in Randwick,
Sydney. He is also a co-proprietor of the Cyclefit professional cycle
fitting practice with John Kennedy of Melbourne Elite Sport. Steve has
fitted and measured over 6,000 road and MTB cyclists and triathletes,
including Eddie Salas, 10 times Australian Champion, Marion Clignet, a
five time World Champion and Olympic medallist and Jan Rehula, Sydney
Olympic medallist in triathlon."

IIRC from what my friends said, his basic fitting takes a few hours
and costs about $350, and is very thorough.

Gary:

I've read on several places (and am using it myself) that a simple
method to adjust the fore/aft position of the saddle is to keep the feet
in a position where crank arms are horizontal. Then, the front of the
knee (the leg with the foot forward) is to align with the corresponding
pedal axle. I usually do this adjustment using my right leg.

Cheers.

Old September 1st 03, 02:52 AM
hippy

"amirm" wrote in message
I've read on several places (and am using it myself) that a simple
method to adjust the fore/aft position of the saddle is to keep the

feet
in a position where crank arms are horizontal. Then, the front of the
knee (the leg with the foot forward) is to align with the

corresponding
pedal axle. I usually do this adjustment using my right leg.

This link argues that the "knee over pedal spindle" method is incorrect:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/kops.html

hippy