victoria road sydney

Old October 30th 03, 09:36 AM
BAH

Default Tram tracks (was victoria road sydney)

On 28 Oct 2003 23:59:22 GMT, Joel Mayes Wrote :
In article , BAH wrote:
On 28 Oct 2003 10:10:17 +1050, Paul_MCMLIX Wrote :
Don't trams run on tram TRACKS??? I get a shiver up my spine just
thinking about the possibilities there....

Tram tracks, a prime source of fear and loathing. Needlessly
I might add...:-)

snip

If it's dry you can just about ignore 'em. If it's wet and
you ain't carefull you'll quickly find yourself bouncing
down the road on your hip and elbow and that hurts...:-)

Don't know about this, I had a close encounter of the tram track kind on
St. Georges Rd. last Wednesday got my rear wheel stuck in the tracks as

That's one of the REALLY dark black spots I mentioned. Another is
turning left from Mathews Ave. into Keilor Rd. in Niddrie.
Chapel St. on a Friday night is another place where you can get
a fair bit of practice at getting out of the tracks without falling
off. People dodging out between cars, car doors being FLUNG open,
shopping trolleys jumping out from behind cars, etc. All the sorts
of things that cause you to flinch away - straight down the tram
track which was only a metre or less away anyway...:-) Much more "fun"
if it's a wet, dark Fri. night...:-(

they bend around the round about (broke 2 spokes and dis-aligned the
wheel) I think friction reduction of the water on my wheels and on the
tracks is the only thing that let me pop out of tracks with out coming
off the bike.

It could also be the reason the wheel went down the track in the
first place.

--

--

BAH Humbug

Old October 30th 03, 11:25 AM
cfsmtb

Default victoria road sydney

Deep Freud Moor wrote:
A mate of mine got cleaned up on that roundabout a few weeks back,
destroying the tandem he had just built. A confusing 4 way roundabout
with trams going through the middle. Urrgh!!! DFM

Yeah, heard about this last week. Hope Th*r*n & stoker gets well (or is)
well soon. Very crappy news, a excellent tandem with double Brookes
saddles. Apparentely the other party (read:P-plater from what I heard)
involved was very apologetic.

--
life ain't much but there's nothing else to do

Old October 30th 03, 12:25 PM
hippy

Default Brookes (was: victoria road sydney)

"cfsmtb" wrote in message

Gee, is that a REAL email address? :-P (It probably bloody is, isn't it?!
:-S)

Yeah, heard about this last week. Hope Th*r*n & stoker gets well (or is)
well soon. Very crappy news, a excellent tandem with double Brookes
saddles.

Out of curiosity..
Well, actually no, I own one and I want to sell it :-)

How much are Brookes saddles?

hippy

Old October 30th 03, 11:42 PM
BAH

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 02:05:12 GMT, hippy Wrote :

snip

Ride STRAIGHT across 'em. Not perpendicular just have the

You mean "ride straight at them, not parallel" right? :-)

No, I mean that you can cross tracks at vary narrow angles
provided that you have the bike going straight. If you're
turning or braking the differences in traction between
the road surface and track could well add some "interest"
to the ride...:-)

When turning across them it is often hard to get 90deg
to the tracks but it is quite easy to cross most of them
at a much sharper angle, especially with a little hop.

Just remember.. trams are better than cars...
no matter how much superstops suck :-)

Definately...

hippy

--

BAH Humbug

Old October 31st 03, 12:21 PM
Joel Mayes

Wrote :
Don't trams run on tram TRACKS??? I get a shiver up my spine just
thinking about the possibilities there....

Tram tracks, a prime source of fear and loathing. Needlessly
I might add...:-)

snip

If it's dry you can just about ignore 'em. If it's wet and
you ain't carefull you'll quickly find yourself bouncing
down the road on your hip and elbow and that hurts...:-)

Don't know about this, I had a close encounter of the tram track kind on
St. Georges Rd. last Wednesday got my rear wheel stuck in the tracks as
they bend around the round about

Is that the one near Merri Creek? Oooh, that's nasty.

A mate of mine got cleaned up on that roundabout a few weeks back,
destroying the tandem he had just built. A confusing 4 way roundabout with
trams going through the middle. Urrgh!!!

Yep. It's on my daily commute I come on to St Georges Rd. off Miller St.
just before the round-about and head off down Merri Pde. which is the
final street to come off and round-about 9 time out of 10 I'll back
track and cross at the pedestrian lights 100m back from Miller St. even
with out the tram tracks this is a dangerous bit of road.

DFM

Joel