Old bike maintanence?

Old April 16th 08, 06:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
HDGuzzi

Default Old bike maintanence?

Greetings:
I recently won an early '70s Raleigh Sports on e-Bay which looks to
be
in pretty good shape overall. It hasn't been ridden in a long while,
and has what looks like to be some very minor rust/corrosion on some
parts of the frame (near rear drop-outs) and on the 3 speed hub chain
puller thingee. What advice might anyone provide with regard to clean
up and lubrication? Should the cables be lubed? I don't really want
take the crank off or open up the hub unless absolutely necessary.
The
seller told me it pedals and shifts smoothly so I'm hoping that I
won't have to go inside it at this point.
Also, where might I find some original Raleigh color (rootbeer?)
touch-
up paint, if such even exists?
Thanks in advance for any help, I'm looking forward to riding this
cool old
warhorse!

Old April 16th 08, 06:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Apr 16, 12:30*pm, HDGuzzi wrote:
Greetings:
I recently won an early '70s Raleigh Sports on e-Bay which looks to
be
in pretty good shape overall. It hasn't been ridden in a long while,
and has what looks like to be some very minor rust/corrosion on some
parts of the frame (near rear drop-outs) and on the 3 speed hub chain
puller thingee. What advice might anyone provide with regard to clean
up and lubrication? Should the cables be lubed? I don't really want
take the crank off or open up the hub unless absolutely necessary.

You can search this group via Google Groups for detailed advice, but
some quick tips: lube the hub with motor oil. Whatever you've got in
the trunk of your Buick is fine. When the hub is done drinking, it
will seep from the side of the hub. Squeeze in a few drops every
couple months to top it up as it is a loss system. As far as the
cables go, yes, you may want to lube the shifter cable with your
choice of lube where it goes through the housing. You'd be best served
to replace the brake cables and housing with modern lined and
stainless kit that require no lubricant and will feel far superior.
Don't forget to replace the brake pads. Modern pads may need some
washers to reach the rim on a Raleigh Sports.

Best upgrade on that bike, if you want to invest in it, is to upgrade
to modern aluminum rims. Here's a Sprite I modernized:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/83/25...0ec18d_o_d.jpg
Old April 16th 08, 11:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
HDGuzzi

On Apr 16, 9:43*am, landotter wrote:
[...]

Thank you! Nice photo of the Sprite, too!
As far as the new aluminum wheels, are these readily available and
what should I expect to pay for them? It's going to need tires so I
figure that if it's within my budget, I'll do the change-over then.
Old April 17th 08, 01:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Apr 16, 5:41 pm, HDGuzzi wrote:
[...]

Some Sun CR-18 rims in that old size will run about $30 each. They
don't build bikes with that size wheel any more in most of the world,
so no pre-builts. It's right inbetween "road" and "mtb" size. Worry
not, with the wonder of the internet, tires and tubes are still
available. You'll need to re-rim the wheels yourself or pay a shop
about $40 per end to do it. It's not crucial, but with modern rims and
tires, you drop near three pounds, and the brakes work far far better.
I consider it a safety upgrade, it turns a neat old bike into a neat
old bike that you can use as a daily rider.

Here's the rim:
http://www.ebikestop.com/sun_cr_18_2...iso-RM8494.php

Old April 17th 08, 04:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

Here's the rim:http://www.ebikestop.com/sun_cr_18_2...ed_rim_fit...- Hide quoted text -

Old April 17th 08, 04:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

the grease at the two headset bearings is gone and grease inside both
hubs. take headset apart, inspect for wear. replace bearings there
then see if it holds together.
front hub is simple. Parks Tool website has the instructions.
if replacing rims then replace with 700c as tires are not available
for 27"
try painting the insides with Rusto if you get the BB off to relube
and repack with new bearings.
paint it Rusto Pro yellow or blue !!

Old April 17th 08, 04:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Apr 16, 10:31 pm, datakoll wrote:
the grease at the two headset bearings is gone and grease inside both
hubs. take headset apart, inspect for wear. replace bearings there
then see if it holds together.
front hub is simple. Parks Tool website has the instructions.
if replacing rims then replace with 700c as tires are not available
for 27"

Sports were mainly EA3 rimmed. I did have a DL1 that said "Sports" on
the chainguard, but it probably wasn't original. Sprites were 27". You
can fit a 700c rim in an EA3 rimmed bike...sometimes. I've done it
with a coaster bike, tight with a 28mm ti
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/94/24...4298d83b_o.jpg
Old April 17th 08, 06:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chip C

On Apr 16, 1:43 pm, landotter wrote:
[...]

Thanks to landotter for the link, I didn't know Al 26x1-3/8 rims
existed; but I have Cool-Stop Continental pads on my all-steel Sports
and I find braking to be just fine in dry conditions. They are usable
with caution in the wet; I ride with the brakes rubbing every so
often, but have had occasional close calls. So while I'm loathe to
tell anyone they don't need to improve their brakes, I'd recommend
trying the Continentals before throwing your wheels out, especially if
you're only riding in nice weather.

Get good tires (your LBS may stock a poor selection; but more do
exist) and replace the brake cables. Good pads don't help when the
cables snap.

I use 3-in-1 oil on the hub, 'cause it comes in a bottle with a long
flexible tube.

Harris Cyclery is your starting point for Raleigh parts, not that
they're a well-kept secret. And there's lots of used and NOS Raleigh
stuff on eBay. Not sure I'd pay much for 30-year-old touch-up paint,
though.

Chip C
Old April 17th 08, 07:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Apr 17, 12:46 pm, Chip C wrote:
[...]

That's a dilemma in that size. Kenda tires are readily available for
about ten bucks in that size, and they're as good as what came
originally on the bikes, but with the the thick gumwall, the ride is
really wooden. When I put alloy rims and really supple 27" Vittoria 1
1/4" tires on my Sprite, the whole bike changed in character--it
ceased to have that jangly Raleigh feel and felt quite confident in
curves, soaked up road noise, and was palpably easier to pedal uphill.
The only really nice 26x 1 3/8 tires I'm familiar with are the
Panaracer Col de la Vie from Harris for $30 each. If you're gonna ride
the bike a lot, I'd say it's more than worth the investment, but for
just a bar bike or an occasional rider, the Kenda gumwall type is
fine.

As far as the rim replacement goes, I believe the CR18 is close enough
in ERD to just tape the rims together and transfer the spokes one by
one--which may be a challenge if the old spokes and nipples are
corroded or chewed up. Not a problem with the ones on my Sprite.

If you do the work yourself, it's $150 bucks worth of rims, tires, and
small parts--to get a vintage ride that's got modern practicality.
Old April 17th 08, 10:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
HDGuzzi

On Apr 17, 9:46*am, Chip C wrote:
[...]

Chip C- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the input, Chip. And I'll be sure and check Harris' out. I
do remember back in the "olden days" having trouble stopping in wet
weather. I grew out way out in the western end of San Francisco and
our Summers were always damp and foggy!

Old bike maintanence? HDGuzzi Marketplace 5 April 23rd 08 05:54 AM
For Sale: Bike, Bike, Bike, Bike, Frame, and wheels. gplama[_137_] Australia 53 July 3rd 07 09:37 AM
road bike / race bike / hybrid / touring / fitness bike - which one Maurice Wibblington UK 44 September 27th 06 10:53 PM
road bike / race bike / hybrid / touring / fitness bike - CHOSEN AND BOUGHT Maurice Wibblington UK 26 September 27th 06 11:56 AM
We've had the row bike, kick bike, treadmill bike (yes really) now the..... PiledHigher Australia 0 August 4th 06 07:03 AM