The Graciousness Of A Champion

Old September 2nd 03, 09:50 PM
B. Lafferty

Default The Graciousness Of A Champion

"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote in
message t...

wrote in message

Dumbass -

Read a ****ing dictionary before you spew your yuppie
****...................

cham·pi·on P Pronunciation Key (ch mp-n)
n.
1) One that wins first place or first prize in a competition.

When I raced, I won at least a few races/year.

Damn, I must be a champion!

K. Gringioni
CHAMPION

ps. what a crock

You are a Champion Moron, I'll give you that. :-)

Old September 2nd 03, 11:08 PM
Kurgan Gringioni

"B. Lafferty" wrote in message
link.net...

K. Gringioni
CHAMPION

ps. what a crock

You are a Champion Moron, I'll give you that. :-)

Dumbass -

From:
http://www.cyclinghalloffame.com/rid...ned_overall.tx

T. Hamilton is 34th place of the active riders.

324th place All-Time.

We call Merckx, Hinault, Coppi "champions" (#1,2,3 All-Time on that list)

324th? I think not.

Cyclinghalloffame stats are on a points system, there are no subjective
criteria.

Old September 2nd 03, 11:26 PM
MRiordan95

In article , "Kurgan Gringioni"
writes:

Not second place, third place, etc.

There are a handful of active riders that moniker could be applied to right
now.

Museeuw, Armstrong, Cipollini, Bettini.

Petacchi? Has only done it this year. Zabel? Lot of wins, but a lot of 2nds,
3rds. The label would have been more apt in his heyday.

Hamilton? No way. Only a handful of wins. Good drama though.

What...no Gringioni in this list?????
Old September 3rd 03, 01:05 AM
Carl Sundquist

"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote in
message

Cyclinghalloffame stats are on a points system, there are no subjective
criteria.

How were the point values determined for each race? Isn't that likely to be
subjective?

Old September 3rd 03, 05:32 AM
Carl Sundquist

"Nick Burns" wrote in message
Carl was a champion or some scale I would say.

I'm not too fond of scales these days ; )

Old September 3rd 03, 05:38 AM
Duffy Pratt

The thread says that he has the graciousness of a champion. That could be
true whether or not he meets anyone's definition of a champion. Until you
brought it up, no-one had said that he was, or was not a champion. Just
that he had one of the qualities of a champion. Learn to read.

Duffy

"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote in
message t...

Old September 3rd 03, 06:28 AM
Kurgan Gringioni

"B. Lafferty" wrote in message
link.net...

Tyler is a champion by definition.

ridiculous dictionary crap snipped

Are the 33 riders who ahead of Tyler on cyclinhalloffame.com also champions?

What about the riders whose palmares is worse? How far down does the label
apply?

Some definitions of champion:

champion (chàm´pê-en) noun
1. One that wins first place or first prize in a competition

I've won ~25 races (not including track) in 11 years. Should I be called a
champion?

(In my not very humble opinion, hell no)

K. Gringioni
one who believes the term "champion" should be reserved for the very best

Old September 3rd 03, 11:50 AM
Samuel Johnson

"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote in
message t...

"B. Lafferty" wrote in message
link.net...

Tyler is a champion by definition.

ridiculous dictionary crap snipped

Dictionaries (as well as other refrence books), are hardly rediculous.
The provide a level of standardization that makes communication possible.
Only a moron would try to claim otherwise.

Are the 33 riders who ahead of Tyler on cyclinhalloffame.com also

champions?

What about the riders whose palmares is worse? How far down does the label
apply?

The label applies to one who wins races at the highest level. Winning
LBL alone qualifies Hamilton to be lclassified as a champion. Certainly not
a campionissimo, but a champion.

Some definitions of champion:

champion (chàm´pê-en) noun
1. One that wins first place or first prize in a competition

I've won ~25 races (not including track) in 11 years. Should I be called a
champion?

(In my not very humble opinion, hell no)

But you are, Moron, you are. It's just that you're a very minor
champion.

K. Gringioni
one who believes the term "champion" should be reserved for the very best

Belief--that's the key. You're entitled to your beliefs as long as you
don't hurt anyone but yourself.

Old September 3rd 03, 03:08 PM
Steven

"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote in message et...
"B. Lafferty" wrote in message
hlink.net...

hamilton's resume snipped

Dumbass -

The first requisite for labeling a champion is winning.

Not second place, third place, etc.

There are a handful of active riders that moniker could be applied to right
now.

Museeuw, Armstrong, Cipollini, Bettini.

Petacchi? Has only done it this year. Zabel? Lot of wins, but a lot of 2nds,
3rds. The label would have been more apt in his heyday.

Hamilton? No way. Only a handful of wins. Good drama though.

Actually according to webster:

cham·pi·on

1. One that wins first place or first prize in a competition.
2. One that is clearly superior or has the attributes of a winner:
a champion at teaching.
3. An ardent defender or supporter of a cause or another person: a
champion of the homeless.
4. One who fights; a warrior.

I would think that Hamilton would meet the second definition well.
Also obviously champion is used frequently in the cycling world in the
second way, everyone and there grandma has called Ulrich a great
champion. Actually I noticed that Phil Ligget and Bob Roll pretty much
call anyone who is anywhere close to decent champions.

I would appear that both technically as well as how the word is
predominantly used in the world of cycling your assement of the word
champion is incorrect, and the previous poster is wholly correct, but
you opinion is greatly appreciated even if it is always inflamitory
and quite frequently off the mark.
Old September 3rd 03, 04:12 PM
Tom Paterson

From: "Samuel Johnson"

Dictionaries (as well as other refrence books), are hardly rediculous.
The provide a level of standardization that makes communication possible.
Only a moron would try to claim otherwise.

Rong. Dictionarys riport usige. Stanirdazashun iz juzt conveenyence.
Cummunicashun allways possibull.

Prooved bi yer compreehinshun. Thaynkx.
--Tom Paterson, resident non-moron