A question for the folks over the pond Åre, Sweden.

Old January 28th 04, 09:27 PM
P e t e F a g e r l i n

Default A question for the folks over the pond Åre, Sweden.

Has anyone ridden there that can give me some first hand info?

It's touted as mondo DH scene, former World Cup spot, etc., etc.
Old January 28th 04, 11:49 PM
Per Elmsäter

P e t e F a g e r l i n wrote:
Has anyone ridden there that can give me some first hand info?

It's touted as mondo DH scene, former World Cup spot, etc., etc.

Unfortunately I haven't done any cycling there yet. Only skiing and it is
superb. I did a quick search and came up with some biking pics.
http://hammer.prohosting.com/~konapro/cf.html

Yes they shot some scenes from there with some guys jumping over a road and
cars. Also dropping out of the big Cabin lift etc.

You can probably ride your bike which ever direction you want since it's far
enough north to have a low treeline. Still the weather in July and august is
very comfortable. Nice town with plenty accomodations

This link here seems to somewhat of a meeting place for DH and Freeriding.
Some of the links are in english but of course mainly swedish.
http://www.mtbare.info/

Keep you busy a while

--
Perre

Old February 1st 04, 08:41 AM
Per Löwdin

Has anyone ridden there that can give me some first hand info?

I have been skiing there, since I was a kid, it is by far the best ski
resort in Sweden, more or less the only place with steep icy runs, though it
is a far cry from Zermatt, Chamonix or Verbier.

It's touted as mondo DH scene, former World Cup spot, etc., etc.

Yes, Åre has had the WC, and there is plenty of down hill. The MTB scene can
be described as a ski resort trying to earn money during the summer too,
comparable to Winter Park. They seem to be really welcoming mountainbikers.
There are several lifts. They like to have mountainbikers using them in the
summer. Max altitude difference is 890 m. (slightly less than 3000 ft)

If you are into bombing down downhill courses Åre is a place to go. I found
a page with photos that may give you an idea
http://hammer.prohosting.com/~konapro/cf.html A nice thing is that days are
long in the summer, nightfall at 10 pm.

Otherwise, for tight twisting technical singletrack, I would say there are
better places, e.g., Lunsen and Nåsten around Uppsala, see
http://www.lowdin.nu/Mtbruntuppsala/English.html, and Hellasgården and
Sörmlandsleden around Stockholm.

There are plenty of other areas in Sweden too. A good place for info on
those would be http://happymtb.org/forum/list.php?f=1. English threads would
be welcome. And, some guys on that board would also have first hand
experience of MTB in Åre.

Per
http://lowdin.nu