Repairing Rolf freehub? Parts?

Old September 9th 05, 11:09 PM
res09c5t

Default Repairing Rolf freehub? Parts?

Hi,
I'm helping a friend who is having trouble with his Rolf Vector Pro freehub.
Under strong torque, it skips internally- the whole cassette spins. I
haven't taken it off yet or gotten it apart to see what actually has failed.
Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of this? Are repair parts
available for these since Rolf split off from Trek?

Thanks!
Lyle

Old September 10th 05, 04:37 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Hi,
I'm helping a friend who is having trouble with his Rolf Vector Pro
freehub. Under strong torque, it skips internally- the whole cassette
spins. I haven't taken it off yet or gotten it apart to see what actually
has failed. Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of this? Are repair
parts available for these since Rolf split off from Trek?

Thanks!
Lyle

Lyle: Parts are available (the hub is actually made by Hugi, so it's likely
even a non-Trek dealer has access to them), but you probably don't need any.
Most likely it just needs to be cleaned up & re-lubed. It's an extremely
simple mechanism that's pretty tough to kill. The main problem is that it's
very picky about the grease used; the stuff they recommend works great but
costs a fortune (about $9 for a tiny little tube, I mean really tiny, but
you don't need much so it will last quite a few years).

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old September 10th 05, 05:09 PM

what?

Old September 10th 05, 05:50 PM
Bill Sornson

wrote:

what?

exactly.

Old September 11th 05, 08:29 PM
res09c5t

The main problem is that it's
very picky about the grease used; the stuff they recommend works great but
costs a fortune (about $9 for a tiny little tube, I mean really tiny, but
you don't need much so it will last quite a few years).

Any ideas or suggestions for an equivalent grease? Is it just a relatively
thin or light grease that won't keep the star ratchets from making contact?

Thanks!

Old September 12th 05, 01:30 AM

res09c5t wrote:
The main problem is that it's
very picky about the grease used; the stuff they recommend works great but
costs a fortune (about $9 for a tiny little tube, I mean really tiny, but
you don't need much so it will last quite a few years).

Any ideas or suggestions for an equivalent grease? Is it just a relatively
thin or light grease that won't keep the star ratchets from making contact?

Thanks!

It is low viscosity (I assume to avoid gluing the ratches in
"freewheel" mode), but I suspect the truly special part is that it
doesn't gum up with age as much as other greases might.

Old September 12th 05, 02:29 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Any ideas or suggestions for an equivalent grease? Is it just a
relatively
thin or light grease that won't keep the star ratchets from making
contact?

Thanks!

It is low viscosity (I assume to avoid gluing the ratches in
"freewheel" mode), but I suspect the truly special part is that it
doesn't gum up with age as much as other greases might.

Correct, it stays thin over time. Anything that thickens up fouls the
mechanism. I've heard of people temporarily lubing them with Phil tenacious
oil, but it probably makes sense to spend the $$$ and have the right stuff.
It will last for many, many years of cleaning & relubrication.

Old September 12th 05, 10:58 AM
res09c5t

The Phil oil idea sounds good as a test to see whether it is just the grease
or whether the ratchets are truly worn. If it works ok with the oil, then
we can invest in the grease. If not, we can find a maintenance kit with the
ratchets and I believe it comes with the grease.
Thanks!

m...