Gas Rage In Staten Island

Old September 2nd 05, 01:38 PM

Default Gas Rage In Staten Island

NEW YORK- A car whose driver was apparent distraught over the rapid
fluctuations in gasoline prices allegedly drove his car into two gas
pumps at a service station located at the corner of Amboy Road and
Clark in the Richmond section of Staten Island. The driver, a 43 year
old Staten Island resident, was heard shouting "What are they doing for
us?", "We can't can't afford to live!", "Food or gas we must choose!"
as he was taken into police custody.

Old September 2nd 05, 01:45 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

wrote:
NEW YORK- A car whose driver was apparent distraught over the rapid
fluctuations in gasoline prices allegedly drove his car into two gas
pumps at a service station located at the corner of Amboy Road and
Clark in the Richmond section of Staten Island. The driver, a 43 year
old Staten Island resident, was heard shouting "What are they doing for
us?", "We can't can't afford to live!", "Food or gas we must choose!"
as he was taken into police custody.

Anything that will get the typical fat american outta his SUV is a good
thing. Fat america has been set up by the car and oil industry and now
are a gonna get screwed.

Old September 2nd 05, 02:03 PM
AustinMN

Qui si parla Campagnolo blurted out:

Anything that will get the typical fat american outta his SUV is a good
thing. Fat america has been set up by the car and oil industry and now
are a gonna get screwed.

I think the American car industry set itself up. They were already
offering extreme bargains before Katrina took out so much petroleum
capacity. They are in for a royal screwing now.

Austin

Old September 2nd 05, 02:22 PM
Mark Hickey

"AustinMN" wrote:

Qui si parla Campagnolo blurted out:

Anything that will get the typical fat american outta his SUV is a good
thing. Fat america has been set up by the car and oil industry and now
are a gonna get screwed.

I think the American car industry set itself up. They were already
offering extreme bargains before Katrina took out so much petroleum
capacity. They are in for a royal screwing now.

You're probably gonna see some DEEP discounts on the whale-size SUVs
(though they'll probably make it up by increasing the price of the
econoboxes).

Hopefully this "crisis" will last long enough to make a real
difference in people's attitude about what constitutes "reasonable
transportation". Maybe some of 'em will actually figure out that
bikes are a good option?

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame
Old September 2nd 05, 02:41 PM
wafflycat

"Mark Hickey" wrote in message

Hopefully this "crisis" will last long enough to make a real
difference in people's attitude about what constitutes "reasonable
transportation". Maybe some of 'em will actually figure out that
bikes are a good option?

That would be a good outcome, but if the general populous on your side of
the pond is anything like the general populous over here; it won't. When we
had the fuel blockades a few years ago, there were *serious* fuel shortages.
Cycling was wonderful - as the number of cars on the roads decreased
*noticably* as people really did limit their motoring. As soon as the
blockades stopped - back to normal...

This morning I filled the car with diesel. Price 94.9p/litre. If my
mathematics is correct, this equates to £4.32 per UK gallon, or £3.58 per US
gallon, which is roughly $6.55 a US gallon and this is normal price over
here. People are not noticeably using their cars any less as fuel prices go
up - people cut back in other areas first, I think. The filling station
forecourt was just as full as normal on a Friday morning.

Cheers, helen s

Old September 2nd 05, 02:45 PM
rsquared

Mark Hickey wrote:
"AustinMN" wrote:

Qui si parla Campagnolo blurted out:

Anything that will get the typical fat american outta his SUV is a good
thing. Fat america has been set up by the car and oil industry and now
are a gonna get screwed.

I think the American car industry set itself up. They were already
offering extreme bargains before Katrina took out so much petroleum
capacity. They are in for a royal screwing now.

You're probably gonna see some DEEP discounts on the whale-size SUVs
(though they'll probably make it up by increasing the price of the
econoboxes).

Hopefully this "crisis" will last long enough to make a real
difference in people's attitude about what constitutes "reasonable
transportation". Maybe some of 'em will actually figure out that
bikes are a good option?

SNIP

With all due respect, I honestly doubt it... IMO the best we can hope
for is that the SUV (Suddenly Unsellable Vehicle) will not get passed
down to the teenage driver in the family.

I have had to take a double-dose of my maturity medication. My
feelings of fiendish delight are running too close to the surface.

IMO, some owners of these monstronsities are now victims of their
pompous sense of style. Most of the people I talk to readily admit
that a four-cylinder minivan will meet *more* of their transportation
requirements. Being practical just isn't very sexy around here.

rsquared

Old September 2nd 05, 04:37 PM
andy gee

wrote in
oups.com:

NEW YORK- A car whose driver was apparent distraught over the rapid
fluctuations in gasoline prices allegedly drove his car into two gas
pumps at a service station located at the corner of Amboy Road and
Clark in the Richmond section of Staten Island. The driver, a 43 year
old Staten Island resident, was heard shouting "What are they doing
for us?", "We can't can't afford to live!", "Food or gas we must
choose!" as he was taken into police custody.

Oddly enough, Staten Island has some of the best cycling in the city,
including what I think is the city's highest street, Todt Hill Road
(colloquially, "Boot Hill.") However, it's pretty much a circular trip.
The main bridge heading north and east, the mighty Verazano, named
after the first intrepid pioneer to attempt delivering pizza to the
Dutch, has no bicycle facilities. Of the two bridges south and west
into New Jersey, the Goethals Bridge and the Outerbridge Crossing
(actually named after a guy named Outerbridge, and Outerbridge Bridge
doesn't quite scan) only the Goethals has a sidewalk and that's been
closed for SEVEN YEARS with no sign of it opening anytime soon. There
is a nice bridge due north to Bayonne ( as seen in War of the Worlds)
but to continue a trip south from there means a massive detour. You do,
however, get a free boat ride, bicycles more than welcom, on the famous
Staten Island Ferry. There's just no other way out except back the way
you came. No wonder it's the city's highest percentage of households
owning cars. (52% of NYC households do not even own a car.)

So this guy really is pretty much stuck.

--ag
Old September 2nd 05, 05:47 PM
Jim Booth

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:
NEW YORK- A car whose driver was apparent distraught over the rapid
fluctuations in gasoline prices allegedly drove his car into two gas
pumps at a service station located at the corner of Amboy Road and
Clark in the Richmond section of Staten Island. The driver, a 43 year
old Staten Island resident, was heard shouting "What are they doing for
us?", "We can't can't afford to live!", "Food or gas we must choose!"
as he was taken into police custody.

Anything that will get the typical fat american outta his SUV is a good
thing. Fat america has been set up by the car and oil industry and now
are a gonna get screwed.

How about getting ANWR on line. We Alaskan's are trying to help....but a few
environmental groups keeps us from doing just that!

JIM

Old September 2nd 05, 06:04 PM
Skip

On 2 Sep 2005 05:45:04 -0700, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
wrote:

Anything that will get the typical fat american outta his SUV is a good
thing. Fat america has been set up by the car and oil industry and now
are a gonna get screwed.

So, how do you get around without a car since I'm sure you don't want
to be identified as a fat American who has been set up by the car and
oil industry?

Old September 2nd 05, 06:21 PM

Skip wrote:

Anything that will get the typical fat american outta his SUV is a good
thing. Fat america has been set up by the car and oil industry and now
are a gonna get screwed.

So, how do you get around without a car since I'm sure you don't want
to be identified as a fat American who has been set up by the car and
oil industry?

Personally, I ride a bike to work. But I would like to extend a
heartfelt thanks to those who continue to rumble around in their
gas-hog SUVs. My Exxon-Mobil stock is really doing well this week. It's
better than selling crack: I think the gas junkies are hooked harder.

CC