TdF reportage

Old July 15th 09, 09:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc
Bill

Default TdF reportage

wrote:
Some unnamed sniper offered:

I watched the descent of the Tourmalet, the camera focused on a
lead breakaway rider pedaling hard at a cadence of 60-70rpm, with
the announcer claiming he was traveling at 60-65mph. [what size
sprockets does that take?] Having ridden the Galibier where Phil
Liggett has in

Maybe the announcer you were listening to mixed up MPH and KmPH?

OH ****! He ALSO said over 100kmh but I thought to mention that to be
redundant and pedantry. There is no doubt about the claim to be huge
hyperbole (BS) be that from Phil Liggett or another one of the other
three announcers. It's old hat.

In one of my first races in the 1950's I was told we descended in the
Berkeley Hills race at 60mph, something I knew to be vastly untrue,
but they dodged saying it had been reported by a motorcyclist with
cameraman on the rear seat, something equally untrue for those winding
roads. Besides, a motorcycle can get a burst of that speed on short
straights, using acceleration impossible for a bicyclist, even if the
road were extremely steep.

Jobst Brandt

Jobst,
Have you ever descended highway 9 from the summit down to Saratoga?
I did many times in 1963-1964 on a ten speed Peugot and found myself
passing cars just by coasting in an aero position. This was
pre-speedometer days and I was a bit more nuts on a bike back then, but
I think I may have gotten over 50 MPH on a few occasions. I did manage
to scare myself on a few occasions but somehow never crashed.
Dumb luck I guess.
Not all that many cars on that road back in 1963 either.

Bill (very lucky) Baka

TdF reportage raamman General 0 July 14th 09 03:42 PM
TdF reportage raamman Rides 0 July 14th 09 03:42 PM