Spoke Length

Old January 26th 10, 06:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Spoke Length

Used the Damon Rinard spoke calc program to calculate spoke length for
some wheels I'm building. 32 hole. 3 cross front and rear. Record
hubs. Alex Crostini 3.1 front and 3.2 offset spoke hole rear. DT
Revolution 14/17 spokes front and non drive side. DT Competition
14/15 drive side.

Spoke calc says 294mm for front. I'm comfortable rounding that down
to 292mm.
Spoke calc says 292.8mm non drive side and 291.2mm drive side. I'm
thinking round down to 290mm for both sides. Could be maybe persuaded
to use 292mm on the non drive side.

Any opinions on the above choices?
Old January 26th 10, 06:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Jan 25, 9:30*pm, "
wrote:
Used the Damon Rinard spoke calc program to calculate spoke length for
some wheels I'm building. *32 hole. *3 cross front and rear. *Record
hubs. *Alex Crostini 3.1 front and 3.2 offset spoke hole rear. DT
Revolution 14/17 spokes front and non drive side. *DT Competition
14/15 drive side.

Spoke calc says 294mm for front. *I'm comfortable rounding that down
to 292mm.
Spoke calc says 292.8mm non drive side and 291.2mm drive side. *I'm
thinking round down to 290mm for both sides. *Could be maybe persuaded
to use 292mm on the non drive side.

Any opinions on the above choices?

Why are you rounding down so far? Why not 294 and 291/293? Has your
experience been that the spoke calc yields long spokes and that some
length reduction is required? Damon's spoke calc has been good for
me. I usually just get the closest whole number unless I'm just
getting by with old spokes or doing a "close enough" rim swap. -- Jay
Beattie.
Old January 26th 10, 07:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

YO RUSS !

BUILD A WHEEL BEAM. take a tubah4, bore hole for your hub ( or use a
long threaded rod for an axle) , shim up diameter for dish with ply or
3/4.

buy 16 spokes, 8 each side, insert at quarters.

then you know what's going on there. oytherwise. its PITW time.

build the beam. its an essential tool.

Old January 26th 10, 07:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 26 Jan, 05:30, "
wrote:
Used the Damon Rinard spoke calc program to calculate spoke length for
some wheels I'm building. *32 hole. *3 cross front and rear. *Record
hubs. *Alex Crostini 3.1 front and 3.2 offset spoke hole rear. DT
Revolution 14/17 spokes front and non drive side. *DT Competition
14/15 drive side.

Spoke calc says 294mm for front. *I'm comfortable rounding that down
to 292mm.
Spoke calc says 292.8mm non drive side and 291.2mm drive side. *I'm
thinking round down to 290mm for both sides. *Could be maybe persuaded
to use 292mm on the non drive side.

Any opinions on the above choices?

interlacing lengthens the route of a spoke by spoke thickness and
tensioning stretches it. Tensioning may be as little as three turns,
but some like double that.
Old January 27th 10, 02:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

are you aware of the ERD problem ?
the spoke calc when last visited and growled over produced a
'geometric' X nuber not the useable "order 36 of these at Xmm" number.
Then useable number is X-Y where Y deducts 2-3-4mm getting the spoke
short enough to actually seat on the rim inwhatever nmber of spokes
the rim takes in producing around wheel with hub in center and dished
properly.

?
Old January 27th 10, 04:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 27 Jan, 01:09, datakoll wrote:
are you aware of the ERD problem ?
the spoke calc when last visited and growled over produced a
'geometric' X nuber not the useable "order 36 of these at Xmm" number.
Then useable number is X-Y where Y deducts 2-3-4mm getting the spoke
short enough to actually seat on the rim inwhatever nmber of spokes
the rim takes in producing around *wheel with hub in center and dished
properly.

?

I assume that no account is taken for oversize hub flange holes and
the bedding in that a spoke must do on an aluminium flange. That'll
make up for the extra length required due to interlacing, at least.
Of course there are desirous reasons to use fibre washers under the
nipple heads including correction of spoke 'length'.
Old January 27th 10, 03:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Jan 25, 10:30*pm, "
wrote:
Used the Damon Rinard spoke calc program to calculate spoke length for
some wheels I'm building. *32 hole. *3 cross front and rear. *Record
hubs. *Alex Crostini 3.1 front and 3.2 offset spoke hole rear. DT
Revolution 14/17 spokes front and non drive side. *DT Competition
14/15 drive side.

Spoke calc says 294mm for front. *I'm comfortable rounding that down
to 292mm.
Spoke calc says 292.8mm non drive side and 291.2mm drive side. *I'm
thinking round down to 290mm for both sides. *Could be maybe persuaded
to use 292mm on the non drive side.

Any opinions on the above choices?

Use 294 or maybe 293 for the front since these are thin and use 292
and 291 for the rear. Why take off so much? You will end up with
threads showing.
Old January 27th 10, 04:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Ace

On Jan 25, 9:30*pm, "
Any opinions on the above choices?

I'd use thicker spokes than Revolutions, to make building and
truing less of an exercise in contending with spoke windup.

Tom Ace
Old January 27th 10, 04:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 27 Jan, 15:12, Tom Ace wrote:
On Jan 25, 9:30*pm, "

Any opinions on the above choices?

I'd use thicker spokes than Revolutions, to make building and
truing less of an exercise in contending with spoke windup.

Tom Ace

'windup' is not an issue at respectable spoke tension. Relieving the
spoke tension by moving the rim by hand or a timber lever is simple
and easy.
Old January 27th 10, 05:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

Tom Ace wrote:
On Jan 25, 9:30 pm, "
Any opinions on the above choices?

I'd use thicker spokes than Revolutions, to make building and
truing less of an exercise in contending with spoke windup.

Tom Ace

I learned a good trick on this group for dealing with windup in the
rear: Tighten the drive side spokes to about where they need to be
(trial and error) while leaving the nondrive side relatively slack (so
the wheel is greatly "overdished"). Bring the nondrive side up to
tension last, correcting the overdish.

The idea is that you never deal (much) with the drive side spokes at
full tension. The non-drive side is always at lower tension anyway.

Finally, Sharpie ("permanent" marker) marks on spokes help you see
windup, which goes a long way toward dealing with it. Despite the
"permanent" description, they wipe off easily with something like WD-40.

PS - as others have said, why round down your lengths so much?

Mark J.

Spoke length Marc[_2_] UK 4 October 7th 09 11:04 PM
spoke length? datakoll Techniques 60 February 3rd 08 12:45 AM
Spoke length help. president_luke Unicycling 11 January 14th 07 11:27 AM
Spoke length? [email protected] Techniques 9 December 13th 06 02:31 PM
Spoke length help Ed Techniques 3 August 24th 04 07:13 PM