"LA Bicycle Advisory Committee Convenes with LAPD as Tensions RunHigh"

Old June 3rd 10, 06:19 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Doug[_3_]

Default "LA Bicycle Advisory Committee Convenes with LAPD as Tensions RunHigh"

Some here have expressed doubts as to the veracity of the reports of
the LAPD attack on Critical Mass, particularly the short video but
also of reports by witnesses. This should clear the matter up,
particularly...

"...With Bicycle Advisory Committee Chair Glenn Bailey presiding, the
floor was opened to public comment. One by one, dozens of speakers
voiced their disgust, frustration, exasperation, and dismay with
police officers' unquestionably excessive use of force that night.
"How many car drivers get thrown to the ground by police after a
routine traffic violation?" several attendees asked rhetorically.

Among the LAPD representatives in attendance, contrition was the theme
of the evening, with several officers expressing sincere regret for
the actions of a handful of their coworkers last Friday. Indeed, even
Chief of Police Charlie Beck showed up to say that he too was
"concerned about these incidents" and that the department "has taken
immediate action based on information from this community."

Beck assured those assembled that the "officers involved have been
removed from the field and will remain removed until we get to the
bottom of this."..."

Seems LAPD cops are a tad more accountable than our lot.

http://la.streetsblog.org/2010/06/02...omment-page-1/

--
UK Radical Campaigns.
http://www.zing.icom43.net
Old June 3rd 10, 06:43 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Paul - xxx[_2_]

Doug wrote:

"...With Bicycle Advisory Committee Chair Glenn Bailey presiding, the
floor was opened to public comment. One by one, dozens of speakers
voiced their disgust, frustration, exasperation, and dismay with
police officers' unquestionably excessive use of force that night.
"How many car drivers get thrown to the ground by police after a
routine traffic violation?" several attendees asked rhetorically.

I don't see anything there about "LAPD Officers armed with batons
kicking and tackling cyclists off their bikes. Officers drove squad
cars into the crowd of riders"

Surely driving squad cars into the crowd of riders would ellicit more
response than someone being thrown to the ground?

--
Paul - xxx

'96/'97 Landrover Discovery 300 Tdi
Dyna Tech Cro-Mo comp
Old June 3rd 10, 07:37 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Doug[_3_]

On 3 June, 06:43, "Paul - xxx" wrote:
Doug wrote:
"...With Bicycle Advisory Committee Chair Glenn Bailey presiding, the
floor was opened to public comment. One by one, dozens of speakers
voiced their disgust, frustration, exasperation, and dismay with
police officers' unquestionably excessive use of force that night.
"How many car drivers get thrown to the ground by police after a
routine traffic violation?" several attendees asked rhetorically.

I don't see anything there about "LAPD Officers armed with batons
kicking and tackling cyclists off their bikes. Officers drove squad
cars into the crowd of riders"

So what do you think the cops are so contrite and concerned about
during this session and why are they needing to hold an internal
review? Try reading more carefully.

Surely driving squad cars into the crowd of riders would ellicit more
response than someone being thrown to the ground?

No because ramming of cyclists by drivers is fairly commonplace while
the direct use of physical violence on cyclists is not.

--
Critical Mass London
http://www.criticalmasslondon.org.uk

Old June 3rd 10, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Paul - xxx[_2_]

Doug wrote:

On 3 June, 06:43, "Paul - xxx" wrote:
Doug wrote:
"...With Bicycle Advisory Committee Chair Glenn Bailey presiding,
the floor was opened to public comment. One by one, dozens of
speakers voiced their disgust, frustration, exasperation, and
dismay with police officers' unquestionably excessive use of
force that night. "How many car drivers get thrown to the ground
by police after a routine traffic violation?" several attendees
asked rhetorically.

I don't see anything there about "LAPD Officers armed with batons
kicking and tackling cyclists off their bikes. Officers drove squad
cars into the crowd of riders"

So what do you think the cops are so contrite and concerned about
during this session and why are they needing to hold an internal
review? Try reading more carefully.

Image.

Anyway, who really cares? Whatever comes of the report there'll always
be a cop, or a few cops, who think they're Judge dredd .. Doesn't make
it right, but that's tough.

They hit on drivers too.

"For the past 10+ years people who all have the same interest,which is
modifying there own cars or looking what other people have done to
theres has been an enjoyable hobby which has made me more friends than
i could ever had imagined.But lately all this has been ruined by a
constant police presence which has made us all look like criminals.

Cruising its self isnt illegal,its just a lot of people who travel
along way sometimes to meet up with people who share the same interest
as they do.These meetings normally take place in empty retail park car
parks after they have closed for the night,and all the public have left.

some snips ..

Now the police have come along and realized that it is a very small
number of people who are doing this,but there not just targeting these
people there targeting evryone who attends which isnt fair at all.

The police have applied and issued ASBO orders on carparks top stop us
meeting our friends,have been taking our registration numbers and
making a database of whos coming and meeting up."

From
http://www.blogstoday.co.uk/bloghome...tefract_cruise

It's not just cyclists who are put upon by police ...

This was the first hit on a quick google search and is a tad out of
date (2006) but serves as an example of how drivers are also targetted
by police .. I'm sure if I looked I could find a _lot_ more ... such as
some TRO's and changing status of Byways against motorised use.