Turkey-day ride announcement

Old November 30th 04, 05:47 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

When I first moved to Florida I accused the locals of freezing to death
at room temperature. After 15 years I am one of those folks who
considers anything below 35 degrees unrideable.

Dick Durbin

Dick: You're doing better than most. My guess is that cycling drops off the
map for the majority of people as soon as it gets into the 50s.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old November 30th 04, 06:04 AM
Awestruck

When I lived in South Florida, 65 degrees was not only time to wear heavy
coats for me, but for my cats as well. They wouldn't get off my lap anytime
the temps got below mid 60s. Last week my climb up Mt Diablo with mid to
upper 40s and 48 mph gusting to 63 mph winds was pretty darn cold to me.

om...

Old November 30th 04, 02:34 PM
Mike Vermeulen

Dick: You're doing better than most. My guess is that cycling drops off the
map for the majority of people as soon as it gets into the 50s.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

You are probably right, though I suspect there are regional
differences. When I lived in the SF Bay Area, 50 would be quite cold.
Right now we've got our coldest day this season in Fort Collins,
Colorado at 2 degrees. I wasn't the only one who cycled to work.

I've found that there are several steps along the way for my cycling:
~45-50, gets cold enough to want full gloves
~25-30, time to get a wool hat
~5-10, starts feeling quite cold
0, just plain cold

This is probably temperate range compared to Winnipeg or
Minneapolis...

--mev, Mike Vermeulen

Old November 30th 04, 02:38 PM
David Kerber

In article ,
says...
Dick: You're doing better than most. My guess is that cycling drops off the
map for the majority of people as soon as it gets into the 50s.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

You are probably right, though I suspect there are regional
differences. When I lived in the SF Bay Area, 50 would be quite cold.
Right now we've got our coldest day this season in Fort Collins,
Colorado at 2 degrees. I wasn't the only one who cycled to work.

I've found that there are several steps along the way for my cycling:
~45-50, gets cold enough to want full gloves
~25-30, time to get a wool hat

40F, need toe warmers if wearing regular cycling shoes.

~5-10, starts feeling quite cold
0, just plain cold

This is probably temperate range compared to Winnipeg or
Minneapolis...

--mev, Mike Vermeulen

newsgroups if possible).

Old November 30th 04, 06:21 PM
Chuck Anderson

Mike Vermeulen wrote:

Dick: You're doing better than most. My guess is that cycling drops off the
map for the majority of people as soon as it gets into the 50s.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

You are probably right, though I suspect there are regional
differences. When I lived in the SF Bay Area, 50 would be quite cold.
Right now we've got our coldest day this season in Fort Collins,
Colorado at 2 degrees. I wasn't the only one who cycled to work.

I've found that there are several steps along the way for my cycling:
~45-50, gets cold enough to want full gloves

at 45 - 50 I change from shorts into knickers and long socks.

At 40 - 45 - I make the undershirt long sleeved and I bring along
something to cover my ears.

Under 40? Wear ear covers the whole ride and use extra layers on the
feet and hands.

Under about 35º? I must admit, as someone who works at home, .... I
don't bother (or haven't had to, anyway ... not in the last decade of
warm, dry winters we've had in the CO front range This winter may prove
different.)

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO

Old November 30th 04, 06:46 PM
Denver C. Fox

I will meet you somewhere between Boulder and Parker in January and we will
ride together in beautiful 60F temperature!

I will be just a bit slower, as I have been fighting atrial fibrillation since
September, and a reduced heart output of 20-30% does slow one down!

.Chuck Anderson wrote: don't bother (or haven't had to, anyway ... not in the

last decade of
warm, dry winters we've had in the CO front range This winter may prove
different.)

http://members.aol.com/dnvrfox
(Family Web Page)